PDA

View Full Version : New Daycare

Victoria4
03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.... I've decided to open a daycare. I am a mom of a 12 month old so I'm looking for babies in that age range. I have had a few interviews but apparently am blowing them (lol) as I don't get call backs. A couple of questions asked were my curriculum and daily menu. I'm new at this and thought that babies basically played with toys, liked stories and listening to music, besides of course naps and snacks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

playfelt
03-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Realize that babies won't be babies for long and by 15 months most will be ready for something more "planned" than just winging the day. Parents want to know that you will be doing activities with the children. Be sure that you have purchased - second hand is totally ok some toys and games to grow into so that the children that come into care will constantly be challenged. Do some research on what is best practice in your province and then show that to the parents - they just want to know that you have taken these things into consideration.

Try to think as someone that has been through this many times in the sense of one of the reasons some parents have chosen me over a new daycare is that I have proven I can handle more than one child. It amazes me how many parents come with their baby and claim to be overwhelmed with one child and questioning how I intend to handle more than one let alone 5. Have answers to that kind of question and offer the information in your presentation rather than wait for them to ask since some may be too polite to ask but wonder.

It also takes time. Those families will be visiting up to 10 or more homes in some cases and may not have even started to make up their minds knowing they have time - depending on how old the child was at the time of the interview so you may still hear back from some of the parents.

Be sure you have a contract which also shows that you have taken many things into consideration. Check around to make sure that what you are asking for fees is reasonable for your area as unfortunately parents do put a lot of stock in the cost vice what they get for the money.

Skysue
03-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions.... I've decided to open a daycare. I am a mom of a 12 month old so I'm looking for babies in that age range. I have had a few interviews but apparently am blowing them (lol) as I don't get call backs. A couple of questions asked were my curriculum and daily menu. I'm new at this and thought that babies basically played with toys, liked stories and listening to music, besides of course naps and snacks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would have a menu ready to hand out to show what types of food you offer and post a schedule of the daily activates. LOL Yes they really do play at this age but you can still set up a schedule. Parents these days expect their kids to know there ABC's before they can walk. Parents also want to have an idea on what there day will look like. Some providers keep the T.V on all day and the kids never get properly motivated.

I think the sample schedule is a good guideline but you will develop your own once you know the dynamics of the group.

Child Care Daily Schedule
7:00 Open
7:00-9:00 Arrival & Free play
9:00-9:30 Breakfast
9:30-9:45 Morning Circle
9:45-10:30 Learning activities
10:30-11:30 Outdoor play
11:30-12:00 Free Play
12:00-12:30 Lunch
12:30-12:45 Prepare for Naps
12:45-1:00 Story Time
1:00-3:00 Nap/Quiet time
3:00-3:15 Get up from Nap
3:15-3:45 pm snack
3:45-4:00 clean up
4:00-5:00 choices or outdoors
5:00 close

How many at 12 months do you want to take? If it’s more than 2 than that could be why people are not calling back. I suggest only 2 including your own but that’s just me. Have you thought about how your going to go for walks when the weather gets nicer etc.

sunnydays
03-06-2012, 09:38 AM
It can be hard to get that first client! Especially as you have only one child who is only 12 months old. Parents may worry that you don't have enough experience...they may want someone who has been through all the stages already and not new and learning like they are. That said, I am sure you are quite capable of taking on the challenge. How many kids do you plan to take? Are you taking more than one at the same time or starting out gradually? I found that spacing out the starting dates of each child by a month or two really helped when starting out. As others have suggested, have a menu and a smaple daily schedule (mine is more like a routine as I don't use a schedule...it just gives an idea of what the kids will be doing all day including outside time, any outings, arts and crafts, etc). Having your contract and policies written up to give to parents really helps and makes you look professional and organized also. Good luck!

jec
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
It took me a while to get my first clients when I first started. You have some great advice above! Giving parents coming for an interview an idea of what their little one will be doing during the day is important. Be yourself is the best advice I can give. When parents are looking for daycare, it's for different reasons. Some want structure, routine and know what they are going to be learning while with you. Then there are some parents who are looking more for that sense of comfort knowing they little one is going to get lots of one on one attention and caring more so than what they are learning. Someone will find you the right fit and feel comfortable leaving their little one in your care. Once you have your first client...it will get easier.
Good luck!!