PDA

View Full Version : Used or donated toys?

admin
03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Hello everyone,

Do you always buy brand new toys? Did you ever get pre-loved toys?
Why did you choose to do it and where did you get them?

:D

Sunflower
03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I personally get used toys from friends, yard sales ( our town has a huge one at the community center each spring and fall) and the local flea market. But I would say about 95% of the toys in the daycare were toys I already had for my boys.
I used kijiji ottawa for all the exterior toys and play structures .

playfelt
03-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Most of my toys have come from either my own kids or garage sales.

mamaof4
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
do you worry about recalls etc? A lot of parents I know are obsessive about that, even though I can't think of any toy that has been recalled and a danger... that we have had- just curious.

(I am really sorry if this comes out garbled--- to many nights with a sick kid leaves me having a hard time to articulate me thoughts) I really do not mean it in a snarky manner.

Play and Learn
03-02-2011, 07:02 PM
I have received items from my older siblings kids, garage sales, usedottawa.com and kijiji.ca.

I usually know which toys had been recalled (I used to work in Daycare centers, so we know which toys to depart with). Also when I was a nanny, I found a lot of Diego and Dora toys were recalled because of Lead in the paint. I just try not to buy 'name brands' of toys (ie Dora, Sesame Street, Thomas, etc) as the kids tend to fight over these toys. I usually try to but two of each.

I think the only things I've bought brand new so far has been a booster seat for the kitchen, some utensils, some books, and plastic dishes, bins & white faceclothes from IKEA.

Sunflower
03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
office I go through also makes sure we receive any recall notices by health canada in our bi-weekly newsletters.

FS2011
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
All toys in my centre have been used, purchased through craigslist or swaps, garage sales etc. I also had a huge toy donation from someone. I only buy arts and crafts new. The centre is in a brand new house and the equipment is new, shelving, etc so I had to go cheap somewhere!! :P

Play and Learn
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
When buying used, how much are you looking to spend? Half price of original ticket price?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into getting a Choo Choo Wagon. But I'm finding that people are selling them too close to store ticket prices. At that point, I'd rather spend the extra $30-50 and buy brand new.

What are your thoughts?!!? Thanks! (I cannot start a new thread, so sorry I had to hijack this one!)

playfelt
03-27-2011, 06:18 PM
If the price is more than 75% of new or it is an item that is in demand then new is better. Buying the wagon new and then you know that it hasn't been abused, a wheel bumped over a curb too many time or whatever. Then when you are done you can sell it for 50-75% of new at the time you sell it and maybe even end up making money. Items like that have come down in price over the years so that maybe the reason they are priced high in the sense of the person selling is only charging 50% of what they paid.

Play and Learn
03-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I have someone who answered my ad for a used choo choo wagon. They want $150 for a 3-seater. I find it a little too pricey - or is that just me?! I might pay that for a 5-seater.

Tot-Time
03-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I purchased my choo choo wagon (4 seats) for $100 about 8 years ago and I sold it for $300 4 years ago. The thing with the choo choo wagons is that they are not always available to Cananda, so we have to buy them used most of the time. I know that at some point they were going to sell them here for 1 year, but I can't remember when the year ended or ends.

Play and Learn
03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
My latest family who just came into care was so upset when I had purchased kitchen toys from the dollar store because I couldn't prove whether or not they had bpa. Oiye.

I think that's sad when the parent has to comment about that! Maybe the parents should be buying our toys for us, and then it be safe!!!! lol

bluesgirl17
03-27-2011, 08:42 PM
I bought quite a few of my toys from kijiji and I have some from when my boys were younger that they would let me bring out lol (won't let their tmnt come out of basement and my boys are 21 and 26 lol ). 1 of my daycare parents donated a train set and train table , dora blocks and foam alphabet letters that she no longer had a place for so asked me if I wanted them. Heck yes lmao

Play and Learn
03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
You can buy the choo choo wagon at Play Value Toys on Carling and Sears. Just the two seats is $119.99+taxes, and then any extras are $59.99+taxes.

Just debating on buying new or used. If I buy new, then I know nothing is wrong with it. If I buy used, then you have it on the mind - how long was it used? Especially with something that may (or does) get used well because of the wheels. That's the thing that's on my mind. I will only buy it if I have more than 3 children though...

playfelt
03-28-2011, 08:35 AM
There are lots of other wagon options that might actually work out better for you. You can only safely manouvre the choo-choo in certain places. I don't like the idea of a long trail behind you crossing a street for example because drivers see you not the low down kids. There are sturdy wagons that will hold several children and as they grow will still fit well. If the harness is your concern then it is still easy to rig a harness for a wagon using the harness and walking rein systems. Canadian Tire, Princess Auto here in Ottawa and most farm/garden centres will carry the Yardworks wagon that is made of mess but you can get a pad for it and the mess is great for clipping harness systems too. Some also have a fold down side. Easy to pull, much larger wheels than on the choo-choo, kids are higher off the ground and a lot cheaper. Personally as cute as the choo-choo looks it doesn't appeal to me - that fifth child is too far back for my liking and up and down curbs just isn't safe.

Play and Learn
03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the info playfelt. I live in a subdivision with no curbs and next to no traffic during the day - so I'll never have to deal with all you have stated! One nice thing about not living in the city!!!! :)

I will never have 5 children with me in my care as I don't feel safe caring for so many by myself, and I would like to keep my sanity!!!!:p

Sarah
06-06-2011, 01:38 PM
OMG

I just CAN'T beleive someone sane would ask any daycare provider to buy bew toys. What the ... is the difference for their kids? What do they want to teach them? That new is good and used is bad?

I better NEVER hear a parent ask me this, they will get a very straight forward NO WAY

Sunflower
06-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Used. Always. The kids aren't taught half the time that things break. Their parents give them everything. I've had parents ask me to purchase new and I always refuse. I ask them first, "what part of the fee I charge you do you think I deserve as a paycheque or do you expect that per diem to all go back into your child?"

If parents want new toys in the daycare, I tell them I will gladly accept donations of new toys from them and if they're not willing because they really don't want to provide new toys for the rest of the kids, they usually stay quiet after that.

Unbelievable.
You should have informed them that new toys don;t stay new for very long in a daycare anyways lol !

Spixie33
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
I got a lot of toys for my daycare new. I did look in second hand stores but came up empty finding anything decent. I also want stuff that is in good condition and not going to be dangerous or really awful looking because it makes a certain impression with prospective parents.
I had TONS of great stuff for my kids but donated a lot of the infant and toddler stuff during our last move. That was BEFORE I thought I was really ever going to do homedaycare. I was kicking myself as I spent hundreds of dollars on new stuff.
I just got a new Ikea Trofast system. I wanted to find it used but people were selling used almost the same price as new.
I did get a used Choo Choo wagon with 3 wagons used for $140 last year. At that time the wagons were discontinued and going on kijiji for $400. I thought $140 was a great deal and it had no issues other than sun fading on the orange wagon.

I was so happy when Sears brought the wagons back. I ordered another wagon through sears. I would have loved to buy the new one but it was just released a few months ago. I like the colours of the new one better.

Play and Learn
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I try to buy everything used if possible. Just this weekend went to a great garage sale, and bought the following for $5 a piece! A Step 2 wagon (like new), a flintstones style car (looks rarely used - can tell by the tires) and a helmet for my little one when she's riding the trike. Also my mom was on the lookout for things, and found me a wooden Tonka car, a good sized dinosaur, 6 books and a vintage FP chatterbox phone in pristine condition, all for $4!

I think in the past year I've spent about $400 on items for my home daycare. I know I've saved tonnes of money, and I do not get 'used' items just to get cheap. I do my homework, know how much things are brand new. Set a price out for myself on what I want to spend second hand on an online classifieds or at a garage sale.

daycarebc
02-14-2020, 11:19 AM
It depends on what it is.

Anything fabric I buy new unless I know it is washing machine safe.
I personally buy tons of wood toys and higher quality brands, so buying used is neccesary or I will blow my budget.
Occasionally my daycare kids bring things from home that they are done with, or even new items that were gifts. I also have lots of family and friends and church members who know how I fly through art supplies, so I get lots of odds and ends from them.
I think really hard about what I buy new. For instance, I just bought some schleich animal figurines. I wanted schleich because of the quality, but I actually could not find any second hand in my area, so I bought them new. I also got a kids' cleaning set new because of the nature of the item.