PDA

View Full Version : Outside ~ Spring is coming!!

jec
03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
I will take more days like today!
The kids and I were playing outside ~ had snack and lunch outside!!

Makes for great nap time :laugh:

michellesmunchkins
03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I agree!!!

Lou
03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Today is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Even yesterday we had a thin layer of snow so we did coloured bubbles and watched them leave polka dots all over the white snow, but today it went up to 12 degrees and we were all outside with no hats and mits! It was lovely and it's amazing how it lifts everyone's spirits!

Cadillac
03-07-2012, 02:18 PM
It's Bubble blowing season! Glad I bought all those sets from oriental trading. dumped about four of them before they got the hang of it.

jec
03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
It's Bubble blowing season! Glad I bought all those sets from oriental trading. dumped about four of them before they got the hang of it.
I got a giggle out them dumping so many ~ good thing it's easy to make home made :)

It so lifted my spirts Lisa ~ I've been getting some cabin fever! Even though I am out with the kids in the winter..it's been really chilly the past week and today was such a great day! Fingers crossed that tomorrow is similar !

playfelt
03-07-2012, 07:43 PM
For bubbles last year I got the sword things from walmart and love them. You just take the handle out and wave it and it makes lots of bubbles and some pretty big ones too. I just kept refilling the wands all summer and grabbed some extra at the end of the year so even if I only fill one for me to hold each child can have their own handle to keep coming back for more.

Inspired by Reggio
03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
For bubbles last year I got the sword things from walmart and love them. You just take the handle out and wave it and it makes lots of bubbles and some pretty big ones too. I just kept refilling the wands all summer and grabbed some extra at the end of the year so even if I only fill one for me to hold each child can have their own handle to keep coming back for more.

Yes agreed these are awesome!

We spent 3 hours outside this morning and almost 2 this afternoon - I am SO ready for the return of weather that allows me entire program to be outside cause they eat, sleep and play so much better in the fresh air and sunshine!

Mamma_Mia
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
We too enjoyed the nice weather! It was great...they ran around and I saw the built-up energy explode! LOL They didn't stay long though, everyone is tail-ending colds and with them all being 2/3yrs olds I didn't want to push it. Over an hour for sure though....

playfelt
03-08-2012, 06:33 AM
No outside time here hardly ever. My parents forget on purpose not sure what all the excuses are as I don't even ask anymore to bring proper clothing. No snowpants, sometimes no hats or mitts. I used to make up for the loss now I no longer bother. I have a great set of parents that just do not value outside time. Once the snow and mud is gone it won't matter we can just go but till then not everyone on every day. My daughter works half days nearby and often comes over at lunchtime and will take out anyone with proper clothes. Even telling parents or a child complaining they didn't get to go outside doesn't seem to change the parents' behaviour. Another reason I am looking forward to a change over of kids this summer. Maybe I can train the new set to listen when I say we need snowpants to play in the snow.

sunnydays
03-08-2012, 07:50 AM
That's weird! I have some parents who are definitely not outdoors people and I can tell that the kids never go outside at home, but they all pack the proper clothing as requested. Sometimes I feel that their choices in clothing is lacking in common sense (ie. not warm enough, or mittens with no strings, hats with no ties, etc), but at least they have the minimum so we can go outside. We try to go out every day, but average 3-4 days a week in winter as some days are too cold, icy, whatever. I have three 12 month olds who hated outside time at the beginning of winter, but 2 out of 3 of them have warmed up to it...one of them loves it...he actually crawls around in the snow happily). I wish I could enjoy the warmer weather this week, but I am so sick I have had to close the daycare for 3 days :( I can't wait for summer when we are outside all the time and we don't get sick!

No outside time here hardly ever. My parents forget on purpose not sure what all the excuses are as I don't even ask anymore to bring proper clothing. No snowpants, sometimes no hats or mitts. I used to make up for the loss now I no longer bother. I have a great set of parents that just do not value outside time. Once the snow and mud is gone it won't matter we can just go but till then not everyone on every day. My daughter works half days nearby and often comes over at lunchtime and will take out anyone with proper clothes. Even telling parents or a child complaining they didn't get to go outside doesn't seem to change the parents' behaviour. Another reason I am looking forward to a change over of kids this summer. Maybe I can train the new set to listen when I say we need snowpants to play in the snow.

jec
03-08-2012, 07:52 AM
I would go nuts if I didn't get to go outside. I have extra outside clothes that I kept from our girls as a back up - snow suits/hats/boots. An idea maybe go to Value Village or Kijiji to get some second hand back ups? My parents have forgotten and giggle when they see their little boys in pink :laugh:
I'd be training the new ones to bring a suit for sure :)

playfelt
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Most of my families do outside time with the kids but I think part of it is that they don't value just letting them go. They take them for walks on the trails or pull them on their sleds or let them help shovel the driveway but never just take them to a wide open space and just let them go. I used to beg for clothes then decided why. Save myself the hassles of dressing and undressing. When Melissa comes over I only have to dress 2-3 out of 5 at most.

Can't wait for summer either. Next note to parents will be rain boots and splash pants must be provided for outside play - don't need muddy kids in the house for naptime. Not expecting miracles but you never know. The kids are getting a bit older and will be annoyed when their friends are out on the climber and they aren't.

sunnydays
03-08-2012, 01:59 PM
If they don't bring the splash pants, take them outside at the end of the day and let them get nice and muddy for the parents when they come to pick them up. I'll bet you anything they'll show up with all the gear the very next day :laugh:

Most of my families do outside time with the kids but I think part of it is that they don't value just letting them go. They take them for walks on the trails or pull them on their sleds or let them help shovel the driveway but never just take them to a wide open space and just let them go. I used to beg for clothes then decided why. Save myself the hassles of dressing and undressing. When Melissa comes over I only have to dress 2-3 out of 5 at most.

Can't wait for summer either. Next note to parents will be rain boots and splash pants must be provided for outside play - don't need muddy kids in the house for naptime. Not expecting miracles but you never know. The kids are getting a bit older and will be annoyed when their friends are out on the climber and they aren't.

playfelt
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Funny - that is our normal outside time in the nice weather because the yard is shaded. In summer the parents meet us in the back yard to pick up their kids even. I have two boys that will be 3 so for sure not holding them back from playing.

I used to have stuff from my own kids and kept extras back when we had to go out to do school runs and such then over time it got worn out and I finally came to the conclusion that it was up to the parents to provide and if they couldn't be bothered sending it then I couldn't be bothered going out. I'm not the world's greatest in the snow either. I much prefer spring and fall. However if they provided we would be out there. Starting over this summer with three new ones so by winter they should be or nearing 18 months so there is hope and as you say another chance to get on their case to bring stuff.

zen39
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
If my parents show up without the proper outside clothing I have told them to turn around and go back home and get the splash pants, snow pants hats etc...after that they don't forget often. I think it is incredibly selfish for parents to do that. The other kids and myself should not suffer for another parent being inconsiderate. I have had parents bring their child in shoes on the wettest and muddiest days and I still allow that child to crawl in mud and go home with shoes that have to be removed before getting in the car and I will say "you should have brought their rain boots". They haven't done it since.

Momof4
03-08-2012, 04:16 PM
I have splashpants left here all year round and extra snowpants here all winter. I have a drawstring bag for each child that has to be filled with extra hats, sunglasses, mitts, depending on the season to be left here. There is NO WAY I would allow anybody to get away with preventing us from going outside. I'm the one who really wants to get out of here as many mornings as possible. The children are happy with whatever we are doing.

I have sent children home in muddy white shoes or painted white pants or playdo caked, etc. and the parents in my daycare all know that the clothes come in at their own risk!