PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just wanna scream or better - cause pain!

Mamma_Mia
03-07-2012, 09:57 PM
*Disclamer - I would never hurt a child so don't worry....but it sure as heck is tempting some days* :p :laugh:

I just got a new little boy p/t and he's doing well (day 4)....today all morning he would sit alone with no toys and sulk (360 from other 3 days) I asked him "what's up?" and he cried as if I kicked him. After a bit we played the "find me a red ball/blue car/green lego" game, when he found the blue car I cheered like I did for the other children and again total melt down! :blink: THEN after the second bite of lunch he threw up what seemed to be his entire morning bottle. After 45min of trying to get a hold of the parents :no: they say "we forgot to tell you he can't eat & drink at the same time...he gets sick". I told them that this is information that needed to be shared from day 1 :mad:

All while this was happening DCK who's mom is my "bff" has been acting out ONLY when her mom is there. Of course mom doesn't direct her....well this a.m. at drop off, I went in to take off dck coat and she smacked me in the face and hard little ****! I firmly said NO SIT ON THE STAIRS NOW....YOU DO NOT HIT ME while mother said nothing. :rolleyes: Once mom left I told her again that hitting me or anyone isnt allowed and that she would not get to play with baby (her favorite) all day as punishment. When mom isn't there she's quiet & shy, never talks back etc. Then bam! PU time..mom rings bell, I stop dck and say "remember to be nice and no hitting or screaming...got it" watery eyes...yes and puppy face ((the oscar goes to:)) - mom opens the door - kid looks at me, got this dennis the mennis/demonic look, screams and swats at me again! If I didn't move back I would have gotten it again. and AGAIN mom said nothing! I was boiling inside...if she was my kid she'd be very very sorry. So now what do I do? Have her sit in the higchair all day? LOL man....talk about testing me

I know....Drama apparently never ends at my place. G.R.E.A.T. :cursing:

mom-in-alberta
03-08-2012, 04:00 AM
Oh nooooo!!!

Okay, Child A: totally normal for him to be all mopey, now that he has been at your place for a few visits. The novelty has worn off, and now he's just missing mom/dad. Just keep doing what you are doing, attempting to engage him. If he just sits and does nothing, that is his choice. When he allows you to, a pat on the back once in a while to give a bit of caring reassurance will help. After a little bit, he should (slooowwwwly) start to get better. It may even happen overnight, with any luck!
I would be ticked that the parents didn't share that (rather important) tidbit of info. What do you mean that he can't eat/drink at the same time? Is there a medical reason for that? If you have a "write up" system, I would absolutely give a warning. Failure to disclose info pertaining to the medical/physical/emotional care of their child is cause for termination in my daycare. Grrrrr. What does that mean moving forward? How can you not have something to "wash it all down"?

Child B: depends on what you feel comfortable with. Are you okay with saying "BFF, I love you and your child but you CANNOT let her do this."?
I don't know what it is, but kids do this all the time. They act one way all day long, and as soon as mom/dad shows up, it all goes out the window. If I had to guess, in this scenario, it's a combination of a couple things. Ultimately, she is mad at mom for "leaving" her. So she is showing her how angry she is. At the same time, she is very glad to have mom coming to get her so she doesn't want to take her anger out on her. You happen to be a handy target. It has nothing to do with you, that I can see.
Hang in there MammaMia!!! I hope it gets better/easier moving forward... :glomp:

PS> Why is the little "hug" emoticon called a "glomp"? hahaha! Never heard that term??

Mamma_Mia
03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
glomp? LOL weird!

I was actually being sarcastic about the BFF comment - this is the mom with ALLLL the issues I had mentioned in the other post. So I'm not sure if mom is telling dck to be mean&bad on purpose and dck only remembers to do so when she sees mom? Seriously I would NOT be surprised.

Crayola kiddies
03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
As Judy would say "NEXT"

sunnydays
03-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I would tell her that she needs get her child under control during pick-up and drop-off or you will terminate. That is a total lack of respect for you to allow her child to slap you!!! I have seen parents let their kids hit them (I totally don't get it and disgree with this parenting or lack of parenting), but to allow a child to hit her caregiver and sit there and say nothing ?!! Honestly, that would be the last straw...termination seems to be the only option here. I know that kids often act up once their parents arrive and do things that wouldn't do during the day, but this is going WAY too far! I honestly don't think I could keep on with a parent/child combo like this.

Lou
03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
I would absolutely terminite Child B. Absolutely. This woman has been nothing but trouble!
As for Child A, I would have insisted that once he had thrown up that he be picked up immediately. Regardless, of the fact tat she says it's normal for him to puke when drinking and eating together, it should state in your policy that if he throws up he must be picked up. That should teach her a huge lesson about leaving out important information!

Momof4
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
My rule for vomitting for no reason whether they have been here 1 day or 1 year is that the parents come immediately to pick up their child because we don't know if it's the flu or not and I always err on the side of caution. I had a little girl who made herself throw up and I called that Mom to get her child. She started having family members pick up the little girl because she couldn't leave work all the time but somebody picked up that child every time. Did they help to get her to get over that behaviour? Hell yes!!!!! I'm sure they were terrified I was going to terminate them so they worked hard to fix things.

For the child who hit you without consequences from the mother, I would give them a letter of notice that they MUST correct that behaviour in their child IMMEDIATELY. I might even tell them that they were on probation because there is a clause in my contract that states physical or verbal abuse by parents or children are cause for termination. I had a very violent 2 year old girl and the parents didn't help and I DID terminate them.

Inspired by Reggio
03-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Vomitting child - how old? Cause seriously that sounds ODD and had you feed him while allowing him to 'drink' any of the prior days he attended without issue? I am with Momof4 - if a child vomits in my program unless it was clearly a case of an INFANT spitting up or a child 'gagging' on their fingers while crying from separation when new they would so be going HOME ... not sure about your community but the stomach flu is SO going around right now?????

Plus if this child has some sort of 'medical condition' that causes him to vomit if you feed him and offer a drink at the same time that causes vomiting I would want a DR NOTE on file indicating that cause been in the field for 20 years and have never came across a child who cannot have food and fluids at the same time - the human body is kinda designed to combine those two things and all ;)

As for child B .... OMG if a child hit me or anyone else in front of a parent and the parent did not reprimand them immediately and apologize profusely for the inappropriate behaviour - I would SO be addressing that if we were not working TOGETHER to send the message that violence is NOT TOLERATED than our 'childcare arrangement' would be coming to an end as per my CONTRACT which clearly indicates what behaviour will NOT BE TOLERATED under any circumstances!

mom-in-alberta
03-10-2012, 01:39 AM
glomp? LOL weird!

I was actually being sarcastic about the BFF comment - this is the mom with ALLLL the issues I had mentioned in the other post. So I'm not sure if mom is telling dck to be mean&bad on purpose and dck only remembers to do so when she sees mom? Seriously I would NOT be surprised.

:o
Totally just caught that.... DUH. My bad. LoL