PDA

View Full Version : "Not just needing care" from a Parent Interview UGH!!!

Sarah A
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
I am totally venting here but I had a parent come in ( a referral from a parent I already have) for an interview on Monday for a part time 3 year old to start in May. She is moving jobs and has decided to move her child from a Childcare Centre to closer where she works.

She didn't bring her son for the interview (which was fine), but I said she would need to bring him here before he starts. The moment she walked in she said that it wouldnt be permanent and that she was on a waiting list for another daycare centre. OK sure, I said.

She was only here for about 10 minutes so I didn't nearly get through all the things I normally do. I sent her off with a package (handbook, contract, etc) and she said she would let me know by then end of the week.

I just received an email from her this morning saying that she wasn't going to place him here for child care and that "I am not just requiring care for my son, but a stimulating program for him". So she has decided to put him in a half day program somewhere else.

WHATEVER!!!! I'm NOT JUST A BABYSITTER providing care!!!! I consistently provide educational activities for the kids on my care. I regularly attend caregiver network meetings, workshops to update my skills. I run a daycare website and post regularly on my blog about all the things we do here and how children are learning everyday. I am not just sitting them in front of a tv all day.

I know it was only a temporary spot but I have never received that response from someone coming in for an interview. Every family who has met me has chosen my daycare so I guess I'm a little disappointed with her response.

I guess this will open the door to another family who was meant to come here.

jec
03-08-2012, 11:27 AM
:flower: ...this means someone else and better is meant for your spot.
I've had to give courtesy interviews before when I didn't get a warm fuzzy from the person and I've had the same done to me as well. Maybe she felt it wasn't a fit and didn't know what to say.
Nothing drives me more than being called a baby sitter so I understand. Maybe she is changing her mind to a center but went through the interview. Who knows what went through her head, it's hard not to take things personally when you put so much into your daycare ((Hugs))

Spixie33
03-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Wow that is rude. Grrrrr

Sounds like you two didn't have a good interview to begin with so brush yourself off, breathe and let it go. It would probably have been a headache to deal with and someone else will come along who is meant to be in your care and will be a better match.

:)

Cadillac
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Maybe I'm being really pessimistic but i really hope she didn't called the lady that referred her and start blabbing nonsense about you and your home.

Sandbox Sally
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
I would totally send her a polite email saying you understand her decision to go with a half day program, BUT defending your day home, and your program, and tell her that you're sorry that you didn't get to tell her all that you offer in your brief interview with her. I do not think that this is a strange thing to do, given the accusation.

I couldn't and wouldn't let that go...

jazmic
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I would totally send her a polite email saying you understand her decision to go with a half day program, BUT defending your day home, and your program, and tell her that you're sorry that you didn't get to tell her all that you offer in your brief interview with her. I do not think that this is a strange thing to do, given the accusation.

I couldn't and wouldn't let that go...

I agree with the idea of the follow up e-mail. And then end by wishing her all the best.

Inspired by Reggio
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Wow - ya some people just have this belief system that a 'centre is more educational' and nothing you say about the benefits of home environment being BETTER will change their mind .... and while there ARE poor quality home childcare having WORKED in centre care for 2o years I can tell you that many of them are just BABYSITTERS too ... I did a placement as an ECE student where the TV was used way more than I use it in my program and in a CENTRE there is no excuse for TV - here I only use it because while preparing meals / snacks it is sometimes HARD to wear two hats at once and well the TV provides 'engagement' in a quiet safe manner to allow my eyes to be chopping and stirring centres have COOKS ;)

playfelt
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Obviously she had no idea what to expect when she came to your house. I'm sure your friend has told her all the wonderful things you have done with her child and she came expecting to see a mini daycare centre like her child attends now - ie same just smaller. Shocked is probably why she only stayed 10 minutes. Just the fact it was a temporary stopping grounds till he got into a "real" centre would have ticked me off and if it hadn't been a friend I would likely have sent them on their way after 10 mintues myself if she didn't offer to leave.

Just remember anything she said, did or didn't say or do is in no way a reflection of you or your program. I probably wouldnt' contact her again but I for sure would speak with the family that referred her to let her know that you had the interview and that the family just didn't seem to be able to make the transition from a daycare centre to the benefits of a home daycare but thank her again for the referral - make sure she doesn't feel upset. If it was me I would be embarassed to face my caregiver if my friend acted so rude.

Momof4
03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Well first of all, call her and tell her you want your material back! I don't give anything out on paper any more. The ink and paper will add up if you do that. I always tell people at the end of the interview that I will email the contract, etc. which also gives me a chance to send a thank you email and add anything important that I realized was missed during the interview.

You didn't want such a rude woman coming to your home every day anyway, did you?

Sandbox Sally
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Well first of all, call her and tell her you want your material back! I don't give anything out on paper any more. The ink and paper will add up if you do that. I always tell people at the end of the interview that I will email the contract, etc. which also gives me a chance to send a thank you email and add anything important that I realized was missed during the interview. You didn't want such a rude woman coming to your home every day anyway, did you?

Ditto the paper and ink thing. If we are a good fit after the interview, I will send all my paperwork via email, ask that they fill it out electronically and submit it to me via email too, and bring by only the last page of the contract, which has to be signed and have hours and amounts filled in. I was going through SO much ink, and that shazz is very un eco-friendly AND expensive! lol

When people call me to set up an interview, I tell them to go to my website and carefully review everything there, so that they know what they're coming into. If they have questions after the interview, then they can refer to the site, or email me.

mom-in-alberta
03-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Given that she was only in your house for 10 minutes (I don't think I have ever had an interview less than an hour or so!) I don't see how she can accurately assess what you would be providing. I agree that she seems to think that only a centre based arrangement will give her little DARLING the care he NEEDS (can you hear my "fancy" voice, hahah).
Good bye and good riddance!! I defintely wouldn't take it personally.

playfelt
03-10-2012, 09:17 AM
On the paperwork issue - I charge a registration fee of $50 which covers the ink for printing all the packages I handed out till I found the family, pays for a change pad, bib, anything I need specific for the child and the rest goes towards replacing equipment. I don't feel so bad this way about giving printed copies to 10 families before finding the family I keep.

Dayhome Mamma
03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Based on her attitude consider yourself spared:) Nothing worst then having a bad parent to work with!

angelina
12-05-2012, 06:19 PM
*hugs*

you deserve a better family to be in your home, i find that respond rude, and not needed.

what they need to say is , "we decided to put our kid in another daycare"....simple as that. And we go on business as usual.

angie

mimi
12-05-2012, 06:55 PM
She probably only went to satisfy your client/her friend who raved and recommended you. She was probably only wanting center care anyway. Like you said, every interview has resulted in a client so as the line goes.....it's not you, it's her. :rolleyes: Remember, who you refer is a reflection of you so your client is obviously very happy with you.