PDA

View Full Version : Ha.... ha... HA. :) What do you think, though?

mom-in-alberta
03-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Some of you might remember that I had a family bail on me 2 days before I reopened after my mat leave? They had all summer to figure out what they were doing, and all of September to tell me that they no longer required my services, and instead they told me (when I called THEM) "Oh, yeah we are actually going to keep her at her grandparents house. Sorry, we should have let you know, I guess."
Well guess who just called me, looking for childcare?
I suppose all of my spaces are full, because I am afraid they have burnt that bridge in my mind. I loved the little girl, and the parents were actually pretty nice. But I did have to continually ask for cheques, and I know that I don't agree with their parenting methods (I actually cared for 2 of their kids, and the oldest was a brat). Plus; if you are going to bail on me once, what's going to stop you from doing it again?
Am I being too harsh? Should I think about it and stop being so (admittedly) petty? Would you give them a second chance?

jec
03-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Always go with your gut!
I don't think your being petty about a client who bailed on you and you had to constantly remind to pay you. Karma always has a way of coming back doesn't it ;)

jazmic
03-10-2012, 07:37 AM
I also don't think you should go with them again. Go with your gut on this one. :)

playfelt
03-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Just be careful that it is really your gut that is talking and not your burned ego, lol. If the girl was good to care for then that part of the new arrangement would be fine. You would have so much leverage with this family the second time around. You now know them well enough to call their bluff and to be blunt with them saying you know I am flattered that you were so happy with my care for XXXX the first time around that you want to bring her back but I have to admit I am having reservations. While I loved XXXX and she did so well in my daycare there is a part of me that is still a little hurt about the way you suddenly pulled her and cut my income. I don't miss having to chase you down for my weekly payments,.......just spill it all out - then you will feel so much better because you know you have been wanting to say all this since September.

Then if you are willing to give it another try after that continue with the however.......and make your list of demands including payment up front - ie a week before it is due whatever you need.

They could turn out to be your most loyal family because they know what a difference you were making for their daughter. And then next time you take time off don't trust them - again they have proved they can't be trusted.

Inspired by Reggio
03-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I agree with Playfelt .... your issue with them is about respect and being valued if you ADDRESS that and how their behaviour affected you and let them clearly know that reentering the relationship THIS is what is expected it might work out GREAT!

However while I always like to expect the BEST of people I also tend to plan and prepare for the WORST out of self preservation ... so personally I would take a big ole 'two week security deposit' from them like first and last and make sure it is clear that it is non refundable and can only be applied to the last two weeks of service provided a MONTHS notice is given .... so that way they have to put their MONEY where their mouth is when they apologize for their treatment of you in the past so you cannot be burned again ;)

Cocoon
03-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Personally, I woulnd't accept them if I was reminding them to pay me(i feel shy to talk about money and it's awkward) and if their kids are spoiled brat and parents' are not helping me to dicipline the kids.

Well good luck with whatever you do.:)

Inspired by Reggio
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
If your are looking for advice on what I would do PERSONALLY if this happened to me ... I guess I am petty as well and unless I REALLY needed the income more than my pride I would not allow someone back into my program who did not value me as a person to respect my income specially after I had given BIRTH cause in any other industry a mat leave is a 'protected right' yet we are expected to give birth and people bitch if we take more than a couple weeks off - I have a provider friend whose client actually expected them to work the MONDAY after she gave birth on the FRIDAY ... seriously THREE DAYS???

IMO l 'values' are hard to change in others unless they a re TRULY motived however if I NEEDED to income more than my pride I would be steps in place to prevent them from 'disrespecting or devaluing me again' by properly MOTIVATING them to change ;) A clear contract that payment is in advance on the Friday before for the upcoming week, two weeks or month depending on how you prefer to be paid PLUS there will be a late fee payment if they have to be 'reminded' just like in any other business and the contract will be 'suspended' if payment is not made by the Monday morning that care if to be provided and the contract will be TERMINATED if there is more than X issues around payment - you decide how many 'chances' you want to give them to forget to pay you, I would also address the lack of notice given as indicate above with a security deposit and written notice or forfeiting the deposit in lieu of proper notice!

As I said I always HOPE for the best in people and plan for the worst .... these above are all things I already do to 'protect' myself from those who might not value me and try to negative effect my income :(

michellesmunchkins
03-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Personally, I wouldn't take them back. I HATE having to chase after families for money/payments and if you've already been through it with them once, odds are its still going to happen. I also think they way they left was really disrespectful. Unless, I was desperate for income, I wouldn't want to chance them again.

Cadillac
03-10-2012, 11:46 AM
no second chances! thats brutal

Momof4
03-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Well, it's unanimous! None of us would accept the family back into care because you listed some very serious infractions and the ladies are correct that it's entirely possible they could be a problem family again.

Sarah
03-11-2012, 05:03 AM
I would take them back but under some serious conditions, such as paying on mondays for the 2 weeks coming. I would require post dated checks for a few months.

And of course, a deposit worth od 2 weeks of care would be required.

But you mention some facts about the kids being spoiled. That is not something we can really help you with as you are the only one that knows if you can put up with it! Money wise, you can ask for payment in advance so it is pretty simple to solve, but if its a question of the kids bein spoiled... you have t think about it!

mom-in-alberta
03-12-2012, 12:39 AM
I think I am going to say no... I just don't know if I could trust them again. I do require payment in advance, but it's due in the last week of the month (even if it's a cheque, dated for the first) and I felt like I was always hounding them for it. It was almost always given to me BY the first, but I think every month, in that last week, I would be fretting that they hadn't given me payment yet, and maybe they were bailing on me again.
Plus I don't really see it fitting into my plans at the moment.
Thanks for your input!!!!

Inspired by Reggio
03-12-2012, 06:04 AM
Gotta follow your gut - sadly it is the only 'employment protection' we have to look out for ourselvles!