PDA

View Full Version : Any fun things planned for St. Patrick's Day?

Mamma_Mia
03-13-2012, 08:44 AM
I have a few printable pages and stickers for the little ones and we'll be all wearing green! :) I also plan on green pancakes & milk for lunch :D

They are all under 3yrs so it's hard to get really crafty....

What are you doing?

michellesmunchkins
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
My guys are all under 3 too so we have done the colouring pages and stickers too. We did collages yesterday using only items that were green and have some stickers too. I found some neat printables to use with bingo dabbers too which the little ones just love! Easter is my favourite with the little ones :)

Inspired by Reggio
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
My crew is under 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

This is my plan this week

Games
• Pin the Pot of Gold on the Rainbow game - can do this on the floor for younger kids
• Musical Shamrock’s game (same a chairs but with the increasing Shamrocks until we all end up on one big shamrock giggling)
• Pot of Gold scavenger hunt … hide clues on shamrocks around the house that lead them to the ‘pot of gold’ … use pictures of next hiding spot and word for younger ones who cant read - at the end of this game on Friday will be a 'stash' that the Leprechaun left for us ;)
• Leprechaun, leprechaun, leprechaun … POT OF GOLD (same concept as duck, duck goose)
• "Leprechaun, Leprechaun where's your shamrock? Somebody has it in their Pocket! Guess who? Maybe you? Maybe a monkey from the zoo! Come on Leprechaun find your shamrock." Spin off of Doggy Doggy whose got your bone.

Rhyme Time / Circle
• St Patrick’s Day matching game for group time (rainbows, pots of gold, shamrocks, 4 leaf clovers, leprechauns, harp, Ireland flag)
• Catch a rainbow science experiment
What you need:
o red, blue and yellow food color
o 1 cup milk
o dish soap
o shallow bowl
What you do:
o Add 3 drops of red food color to one edge of the bowl
o 1/3 of the way away, add 3 drops of blue food color
o 1/3 of the way away add 3 drops of yellow
o don't mix or jiggle the bowl
o Squeeze a drop of dish soap in the center of the bowl
o Observe what happens 
• Poems
5 little Shamrocks felt board story
One green shamrock, in the morning dew,
Another one sprouted,
and then there were two.
Two green shamrocks, growing beneath a tree;
Another one sprouted,
and then there were three.
Three green shamrocks, by the cottage door;
Another one sprouted,
and then there were four.
Four green shamrocks, near a beehive
Another one sprouted,
and then there were five.
Five little shamrocks, bright and emerald green,
Think of all the luck
these shamrocks will bring.

Im a little Leprechaun
I'm a little leprechaun
(hands on hips)
Dressed in green,
(point to shirt)
The tiniest man
(hold thumb and index finger about an inch apart)
That you have seen.
(point to the other people)
If you ever catch me, so it's told,
(make a motion like you're grabbing at a leprechaun)
I'll give you my big pot of gold.
(make a motion like you're giving something away)

There was a little leprechaun (tune Bingo)
There was a little leprechaun,
He lived under a rainbow.
R - A - I - N - 'bow'
R - A - I - N - 'bow'
R - A - I - N - 'bow'
He lived under a rainbow.
• Concentration / matching game
• Books from library on St Patty Day

Creative Art
• Paper bag Leprechauns http://www.dltk-holidays.com/patrick/mlepbag.html
• Making Rainbows … finger painting on a rainbow shape and watermelon rind prints
• Pot of Gold – gluing with glitter and gold coin shapes
• Shamrock crown … green crown with shamrock antennae to wear on Friday
• Shamrock creations … glitter decorated, tissue paper covered, finger painted … combine several styles into a St Patrick’s Day mobile for Friday decor
• St Patty Day macaroni necklace … green and gold coloured macaroni
• Making a Kissable Blarney Stone … using a rock or stone or make a clay shaped lump that dries and then decorate with green paint, glitter and then stamp with ‘kiss shape’ stamp.
• Shamrock stamping … with ink or paint
• Group collage of green items

Sensory Ideas
• Green play dough with gold sparkles in it
• Green water play with shamrock lily pads (foam shapes floating)
• Green rice or goop play

Additions to the Room
• Laminated Shamrocks in varying sizes
• Plastic Gold coins
• Black caldrons from Halloween to be ‘pots of gold’
• Leprechaun Top hats (make from Bristol board and decorate with clovers/rainbows)
• Irish music CD’s
• Library books on St Patrick’s Day

Meals and Snacks
• Green milkshakes with kiwi shamrocks … cut out a kiwi for on tip with small shamrock cookie cutter
• Shamrock sugar cookies … use the cookie press for shamrock butter cookies
• Shamrock cupcakes
• Key Lime tarts
• Pots of Gold (save the lime shells from key lime pie and use as a ‘bowl’ for yellow cubed jello jigglers)
• Corn beef and hash for lunch
• Pot o Gold soup with Irish soda bread
• Shamrock toasties (Toasted English muffin with cheese and a green pepper cut whole to look like a shamrock)
• Green foods … avocado dip, broccoli, split pea soup, peas, celery and green cream cheese, kiwi, green grapes, green peppers, pears, green apples

Sandbox Sally
03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Wow, Reggio, you're hardcore! LOL Feel free to share any and all of your ideas with me, all the time, forever. :wub:

Inspired by Reggio
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Wow, Reggio, you're hardcore! LOL Feel free to share any and all of your ideas with me, all the time, forever. :wub:

Careful what you wish for I have over 20 years of 'special occasions celebrated' floating around in this old head of mine and a propensity for verbal diarrhea ;)

jec
03-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Careful what you wish for I have over 20 years of 'special occasions celebrated' floating around in this old head of mine and a propensity for verbal diarrhea ;)
I'm with Alphaghetti ~ feel free to share! I'm always in for hearing new ideas and learning something new!!
You make me laugh Alphagheti :laugh:

Momof4
03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
We always have 'all green day' with all green food and we dress in green. If you google you will find lots of good craft ideas and songs and games to add to Reggio's ideas, which are awesome!

mom-in-alberta
03-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Reggio... feel free to sick up all over this place. I know we could use the ideas!! :p

Mamma_Mia
03-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Ditto......oh and now I feel like a shmuck for not having/doing enough :p LOL

I got a great shamrock, leprechaun, pot of gold glitter door hanger that says Welcome and a bunch of window decor. Green plates and table cloth.........ummmm I can add green nail polish! hahaha

I forgot that my one p/t is home for march break so it's just my own + 1.....quiet(er) week!!

Feel free to share ALWAYS! I speak for myself when I say I need all the creative help I can find/get! :)

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Shoot, I was gonna skip st. patricks day since our current theme is dinosaurs. I was just gonna pretend it never happened. Now I feel bad.

S*** now I HAVE to copy everything Reggio is doing.

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Oh, and Reggio? - Please re-answer my thread 'you FAVOURITE Easter activity' located in the 'activities' section in the same way you did this post. I re-read your answer to that thread and am no longer satisfied.
Thanks!
(chuckle)
Seriously though . . .

sunnydays
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM
I feel pretty blah about my St Patrick's Day stuff as well after reading Reggio's post! I have been sick and hadn't really planned anything...how boring! Thank you so much for the inspiration Reggio...I will not even attempt to come close to your plan as my one year in daycare compared to your 20 means I cut myself some slack for not having such a wonderfully thought out plan ;) However, you have inspired me to get going on some crafts and I have planned a special leprauchan visit on Friday. I have a vivid memory from when I was in grade one and my teachers makde little green leprauchan footprints all over the school and we had to follow them...I don't remember what was at the end anymore, but the memory of those footprints is so strong still...we really believed a leprauchan had visited! I am going to make footprints and at the end they will find a pot of gold (I will fill it with yellow cookies) and we will eat our gold as afternoon snack on Friday :) Now I just have to work on teaching them about leprauchans so they have some idea what is happening ;)

mom-in-alberta
03-15-2012, 03:36 AM
Hahaha... look how awesomely inadequate we all feel now. LoL. That's what this place is for, right??
(Not feelings of inadequacy, but for the sharing of ideas!!)
I, too, have VIVID memories of the year a leprechaun visited my own kindergarten class. It walked through the paint jar that was mysteriously left out, and open. Then it made footprints everywhere!! Silly leprechaun....