PDA

View Full Version : Starting to panic!

Littledragon
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I've been advertising my daycare since February and I am to open in June. I have ONE client and have not been contacted by ANYONE else. I have an ad on here, on Kijiji and in grocery stores. What else can I do? What am I doing wrong?! Is it still to early??

Momof4
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
It takes a long time to get going and people really do look for an experienced caregiver with references. Do you have current certified CPR & First Aid and all the other things parents look for first? Do you have a background in childcare or other areas that you could use to promote yourself? Are there any large corporations, hospitals or industries around you that can post your ad on an electronic board because then you reach 1000's of people.

Play and Learn
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Don't think that you're going to be full right away. A lot of parents are hesitant about providers who have just opened or are opening.

It took me a full year and a bit before I was full. You just have to wait it out, and they'll come to you eventually.

Good luck!

Inspired by Reggio
03-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I agree - being NEW can turn potential clients off from even CALLING you robbing you of the chance of actually getting them into your home where you can SELL THEM on how awesome you are regardless ... I know when I was new I had 17 years of childcare experience, a dedicated daycare space, invested in my new business putting in new playroom windows for fire exits, bought my own domain name for my business and created a website and so forth and was getting NO BITES ... I even GASP considered lowering my rates thinking I was charging too much ...instead I reworded my ads and took out the 'opening soon' or any NEW references ... just focused on the awesome services I was offering and my experience and so forth and that I had 'full time opening for X start date' ... and I started getting calls left right and centre and booked interviews and than SOLD them on my program and that yes I was 'new' but my commitment showed in my in person interview so they were ok with that - I was full within 3 months of making that slight change in how I presented myself ;)

NEW in this industry is a HUGE risk to clients .... unfortunately our industry has a history of being 'unreliable' because people think 'oh easy money' and open up a home childcare only to realize it is ANYTHING BUT EASY .... it costs a lot to offer a quality program to children so there is not A LOT of money in it despite what the FEES might indicate and you work for every PENNY you get to keep at the end of the day... as a result lots of people start and QUIT within a year leaving the clients who 'took the risk' on them high and dry and as a result they are not willing to try NEW again and they tell people that :(

Crayola kiddies
03-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I agree when I reopened my daycare I had 1 ft 1 pt and one after school for the first 6 months then the after school left at the end of June and in aug I got a full tine for the rest of the summer and then b&a and that was it till Oct I got one ft but wasn't starting till feb and then nothing till dec and I know for most people that's a slow time but I filled all the rest of my spaces and they all started in Jan... I am now totally full till sept when I will have one maybe two spaces.... So it took just over a year for me to fill up too ..... I got all of my current families from kijiji ... But I also have ads on daycare bear, used Ottawa, and ccprn. But it was frustrating for the times I was getting very little action on my ads .... But I am also lucky as the income I make is just extra for us my husband covers all the household bills

MamaMel
03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Don't Panic!!

I quit my job October 13, started advertising for my dayhome October 15th, had three full timers by November 1st, and I am now completely full, with a wait list!

It might just be to soon, do you have opening for infants? Location makes a bug difference! Where do you live?? My friend opened a dayhome in a small town and it took her over a year to fill up!! Do you have pictures on your kijiji ad?

If you need help don't hesitate to private message me!!

Crayola kiddies
03-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Sometimes it helps if you open a bit earlier .... I open 15 minutes earlier then most places here and that's what attracted a lot of my families

playfelt
03-13-2012, 09:13 PM
It is still a bit early for people looking for June. Now that the snow is melting and people are thinking Spring it will dawn on them that they need to start seriously thinking about daycare.

mom-in-alberta
03-14-2012, 01:49 AM
I was just going to say what playfelt mentioned... I wouldn't expect the calls to flood in for June care until April or May, truthfully. I find it rare that people look that far ahead.
But I would definitely keep advertising, and reassess your ad material. I started advertising as "Opening in July!". I changed it to "Spaces available as of..." and the traffic increased immediately. It's not that you are going to hide the fact that you are a new provider; moreso that you will tell them that after they have met you, and you have "wowed" them!
Best of luck, my dear~!

Inspired by Reggio
03-14-2012, 06:25 AM
I started advertising as "Opening in July!". I changed it to "Spaces available as of..." and the traffic increased immediately. It's not that you are going to hide the fact that you are a new provider; more so that you will tell them that after they have met you, and you have "wowed" them!

Ditto - this is not hiding anything focusing your ads on getting interviews INTO your program ... so much of finding the right match for childcare is a 'gut' feeling for clients and until you can talk to or meet each in person it is hard to get that full picture. Ads should focus on do the hours, fees, location and other 'basic' services match in order to get them to 'contact' you - where you can than 'sell the uniqueness and awesomeness' that is you and your program and why it would be the best match while also asking THEM questions to ensure THEY are the best match too!

Littledragon
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Nowhere in any of my ads do I mention that I am new. I have one client, one potential client for the summer (my neice) and one part time coming in September plus my son. So I seem like an established daycare and that's the persona I keep. I have pictures on kijiji as well as here, I have a website and even a link to my website on google maps. I realize it's early - the one client I have really wanted me because she lives three doors down, but she needed someone for March (she will be coming here in June - already signed the contract) and she didn't start looking until mid-feb. So I know I shouldn't panic, but I just wanted some reassurance. This really is the best forum on the planet haha

So, if you guys know anyone who is looking for care in Nepean, Ontario, send them my way! Haha. Thanks everyone!

playfelt
03-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi Samroo I am in Orleans. Check out the childcare connection meetings that the CCPRN Childcare Providers Resource Network offers. This is a chance for caregivers with spaces and parents needing care to meet. It is a one hour info session and free to everyone attending. Check out the website for more info and if you haven't joined the association it is certainly a great resource place for workshops, children's events, diecutting, etc. www.ccprn.com
If you look under the heading caregivers there is a list of online places you can list your daycare.