PDA

View Full Version : Contract revisions

mamaof4
03-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Anonymous post:

Normally I don't care if people see what my posts are --but I cannot risk my client seeing the post attached to me.

I recently revised my handbook/contract, and 2 of my families were super about it saying it was fair and that they are very happy with my dayhome.

The third mom not so much...She signed off on the changes, but has been texting me every day since with a gripe about my changes... (About three days)

First it was because I changed the days that I allow parents to use for thier vacation or more at no cost to ten weeekdays (working days) instead of fourteen calander days. I changed it because I did not want parents thinking they had had 14 working days to use for vacation time....

I used to deduct 30 dollars for each sick day that I take/vacation/sick days that parents use. Now I deduct 20....She said that she didn't really like that and keeps making statements about what the old contract states..I changed it you signed a piece of paper saying you read and agreed to all the changes...as I said, and I am tired of her texting me.

Book a meeting....

How to tell her tactfully that she agreed? and that I do not want to talk about these matters over text?

And as it stands she is f/t tues-sat 11-7 so she takes away from some of my weekend, yes I agreed to it, but she seems to forget that, my daycare closes at 6, but I needed the client so I contracted those hours....amd I really cannot afford to lose this family as I am struggling right now... otherwise it would fall under my three strike policy --or is that to harsh??

So I totally understand if you tell me it is sort of my fault.

playfelt
03-13-2012, 09:06 PM
You don't say how long the family has been with you. If it has been less than a year then in a way I don't blame for them for being a bit upset - kind of a bait and switch - you presented one contract with some attractive things in it that drew them to your daycare then once you had them hooked switched it out for a less attractive one. I can see that that may be the way they are thinking.

I don't think the changes are significant enough for them to get so upset. Wonder if there is something else going on. You don't say what all the changes are but one was not a change just a clarification, the other one is debateable. I assume the old way amounts to not paying for days not used. Unless either of you are away a lot then it doesn't matter.

She agreed because she didn't have options at the time - ie no time to look for alternate care before the changes took effect. How much warning did you give of the changes?

mom-in-alberta
03-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I am glad you changed the first point; because if I was reading it, I would see "calendar days" and think "Sweet, 14 days. Of course, I will only use them on M-F". So I see why you needed to do that. But from her standpoint, she may feel like you are taking away vacation days she thought she had. Certainly, you are entitled to sick days, etc. And I think it's pretty generous that you deduct any money. But again; it isn't what she agreed to, originally.
Depending on how long they have been with you, I can see that she may not like changes being made, especially if they are in your favor.
I have a clause in the handbook that says that changes can be made to the contract, given 30 days notice to the client. The fact is, sometimes we need to do this!!
I don't know that I would play the fact that you are giving her care outside of your normal hours. That was, and still is, your decision. It's not fair to agree to it, and then be upset about it.
I had a provider once when my boys were little, that looked after them p/t. The reason we chose her was she agreed to Saturday care. 3 Saturdays in a row, she called me "sick" in the morning. Finally, I asked her if there was an issue and she said she had changed her mind about the weekend care. I was PISSED.
So, essentially, I can see both sides of the story. If she has been around for 4-6 months or less, I think I can understand why she is mad. You DO have the right to make changes to your business, though. The next time she texts you, text her back and say "I am under the impression that you are not happy with the recent contract changes. I would feel more comfortable discussing this either on the phone, or in person. Can we chat for a few minutes tomorrow?" Texting is a very passive-aggressive way of communicating, and while it can be good for some things, others need to be directly discussed!

Inspired by Reggio
03-14-2012, 06:45 AM
I agree with the the above posters as well - we are totally within our business right to 'amend and alter' a contract but we also have to accept that when we do that essentially were are TERMINATING all our current contracts with clients and run the risk that some might not choose to 'renew' under the new ones or might renew under 'distress' if the timeline of the change is not sufficient to allow for making alternative arrangements - and therefore conflict will arise because they feel 'frustrated/cornered' :(

My contract states that they will be reviewed a minimum of annually and that any changes needing to be made will be accompanied with 60 days written notice. This allows me to give clients 60 days notice of the change, I request that new contracts be signed and returned to be within 30 days of receipt of said notice ... so that gives a client a MONTH to find alternate care if they are not wanting to 'accept' the new conditions and sign the new contract - they still have to give me 2 weeks notice of 'withdrawal' and any contracts not returned by the 30 day notice period clearly state are assumed as 'written notice' to terminate their contract and will begin efforts to fill their space in the program as of the date the 'changes' take effect. This ensures that ALL my contracts are signed and returned in PLENTY of time for me to have to make arrangements should someone choose not to 'renew' under the new conditions. That said I have never had an issue with 'raising' my fees over the years ... however I have never taken away a service to be honest cause I knew starting out I did not want to get into issues of trying to budget for dips in my income by offering clients 'unpaid days' for any reason - you contract for the space you pay for the space is just the SIMPLEST way to afford conflict over fees with clients and keep your income as steady as possible!

I also agree that if a client JUST started and signed on and you change something THAT is going to create a trust issue with clients .... personally if I am contemplating 'changes' to my contract with current clients while still filling a spot start the new clients off on the CHANGED contract right away ... so for example I tend to renew my contracts in January every other year .... so I would not well before November I was planning a 'change' in order to give current clients their 60 days notice - so anyone signing on for October - December would start on the NEW contract that would take effect for everyone else in January....that way they would be in my program a full two years before any 'change' occurred for them and well by then A) they have a strong attachment to the program and see their child thriving and are willing to accept increases with grace and B) they are leaving in the Fall anyway to start JK cause their child is now likely turning 4 that year and are not going to 'change childcare' over a few dollars increase and just ride it out even if they begrudged the increase for some reason.

playfelt
03-14-2012, 07:51 AM
We have such a constant turnover in this business that I tend to make ammendments but for new people coming in so old people stay on old contract they signed. If they go on mat leave and child stays full time during mat leave the old contract stays in place AND the new child coming in if they start gets to stay on old contract too including lower daily rate (this is my version of a sibling discout). If child stays part time they stay on old contract but new sibling is charged new rate when they start. If child is pulled during mat leave and then both want to come back they both come back on the new contract.

Inspired by Reggio
03-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Wow you are generous Playfelt... I have had some clients since I opened due to first child being one and now on sibling number 3 I can not imagine being on the same contart rate with them for 6 or so years - the cost of food and ulitilites has risen so much over that time frame - every business's has reasonable increases ... heck most things go up way more than the 2% we might raise fees every few years :(

Cocoon
03-14-2012, 11:00 AM
I think I will be upset if my day home change the contract before the contract is up for renewal. If I sign the contract lets say for a year I would like It to stay for that long. But if it is near the end and she wants to change few things then I would have no problem with that. How long did she sign the contract for?

playfelt
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Did three kids with one family yes - had any two of them at the same time. But I didnt' have to interview and the space stayed full during the mat leave so we just carried on as normal and baby started at least part time as soon as the space came open from child I knew was leaving (all her babies were born July - Oct) so not a lot of wait time. I only raise my rates every couple years as I start new kids so they were only one raise below. Loyalty is worth the price.

Momof4
03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I update my contracts once a year and usually there are some changes. I don't give the families any vacation time and fees are due for full weeks every week unless I'm closed for my vacations. I wrote 3 paid personal days into my contract so that I can still be paid if I have to take a sick day which never happens anyway, but it's the chidren who make me sick.

A month or two before I renew the contracts I draft a letter for all the parents advising them of upcoming changes and asking them to speak to me if they have any concerns. Nobody has ever had a problem.

I think that if you are going to make a change to your contract the keys are 1)advance warning 2) fairness and 3)having families in your care who appreciate all your work.

Without knowing any more of your details I want to say that you should tell this parent that you have made the changes because it is best for your business and find a way to earn her respect and let her know that you have a waiting list of people who would be happy to take her space!

mamaof4
03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
here is update!
The contract package that parents sign states that my handbook/contract can be revised/changed at anytime, but all amendments must be signed by parents and I up to thirty days after the new copy of the handbook has been given out to them by me.

I give them them one week before the thirty days start to ask any questions to so technically they have 35 days to dispute or pull thier little one...

She complained after she signed the paper that states....

"I/we fully understabd and agree to the changes made within this handbook."

mom-in-alberta
03-15-2012, 03:53 AM
So, may I ask; how long have these people been clients?
I think what I personally am trying to say is, sure, you may indeed be okay in a CONTRACTUAL sense of this situation. But in reality, if they have only been around for a short period of time, they are probably not happy, and that we can somewhat see that standpoint as well.
And I believe you are dealing with a very passive-aggressive person, as I mentioned. Texting to tell you she's upset, instead of saying it outright. Signing the agreement, and then "stewing" on it, and letting you know after the fact that she is upset. Classic passive-aggression.