PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the older kids busy..add your ideas...

Shanka
03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
This is a spin off from the "After School Crowd" post. I want to gather a list of ideas for the 7-10 year old crowd. Please add your ideas. So far the other post reminded me about tracing. I will try that soon. Thanks for sharing that idea. Please add your activities and ideas. :)

mom-in-alberta
03-14-2012, 01:24 AM
http://life.familyeducation .com/parenting-preteens-children/elementary-school/42867.html

Cheating.... because I am just posting a website. But this one has lots of cool ideas for school aged kids!!!

playfelt
03-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Board games will be a novelty for many kids. Mine also used to like having the chance to do things "from their youth" that they no longer got to do. I mean how many 10 year olds have a big bucket of playdough at home but add in some of the fancier accessories. They may play under the guise of assisting the little ones too and love the chance.

I often made their snack a little more involved so it took time - less time to have to entertain them so they got a scoop of cheese whiz, an assortment of crackers on a plate and a knife as compared to me spreading and presenting for them to eat, apples and a choice of dipping sauces.

Might be a good time to put on an exercise video - there are some kid fit ones that have older kids showing what to do. The younger ones would try and the older ones would be showing the little ones what to do. But getting active after being in school but in a controlled way limits the rambunctiousness of school age.

angelina
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
the zumba music is on at 4pm. my playroom has a free standing punching bag, the can do kicks and punch, they can dance, they can jump up and the down or do silly dancing. mos of the boys do improv steps and very interesting. i learned steps from them for my Zumba for kids teaching.

in the main floor, i have area for writing center (girls love it), and i have the Knex for the older boys.