PDA

View Full Version : At A Crossroads in my daycare.. .

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm really worried, sad and anxious about this issue. But most of all I'm determined to find a solution that will work for both me and all of my daycare families.

I have a meeting with the mother of the child this pertains to tonight and I'm looking for every and all suggestions. I need to know what others have been in this situation, what you've done and how it's worked out.

So here is the situation:
I have 4 two year olds, a 12 month old, and a soon to be 4 year old.

The four year old will be starting school in September. My worry is dropping her off and picking her up everyday. I'm worried about having to cut much needed naps short in order to do so and bringing 5 other children outside in the rain, blizzards, and severely cold weather in order to pick her up or drop her off. I'm worried about the stress and hassle of getting everyone ready to go in order to do so.

I was hoping to propose to mom, the idea of having someone else pick her up or drop her off. A grade 8 student, a daycare that passes by my house everyday anyways. The only other suggestion I have is to, unfortunately, find another daycare.

I LOVE this family. I LOVE the two children. I don't want to have to let them go. But, it's not fair to the four other families and their children that will have to suffer as a result.

I'm losing sleep over this.

Help me!

Sandbox Sally
03-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Is she going to be half days? I know that other people I know that have to do half day pick ups will play at a playground beforehand, then pick the child up, or find a play group or early years centre near the school, and pick the child up on the way home, kinda thing. You don't have to cut nap short, just try and find a way to modify the schedule.

If the mom's cool with the 8th grader doing pick up and drop off, then it's a non issue. Hope it goes your way!

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
She will be going in the afternoon. Before drop-off would be lunch and the children will be sleeping until we have to pick her up. This is my issue.

Mom and I choose to send her afternoons so that she would be around for activities and away for nap time.

If she goes mornings nap time issue is settled but I still worry about taking all the children in the rain, and freezing weather and what not. Then there is the added issue of not getting a break because she is hanging around during nap time.

Skysue
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
I have the same situation and I am thinking of asking one of my daycare Mom's to take mine (it's my daughter) and I will take away the fee off her pay. I'm thinking $10.00 a day is fare for drop off and pick up. She will be going every other day and alternate Friday's. So at $10.00 a day times ten times a month thats $100.00 off her fees. Do you have any other mom's with school age kids?

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
If the mom's cool with the 8th grader doing pick up and drop off, then it's a non issue. Hope it goes your way!

I hope to GOD she is. then I hope MORE STILL that I can find someone willing AND responsible.

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I have the same situation and I am thinking of asking one of my daycare Mom's to take mine (it's my daughter) and I will take away the fee off her pay. I'm thinking $10.00 a day is fare for drop off and pick up. She will be going every other day and alternate Friday's. So at $10.00 a day times ten times a month thats $100.00 off her fees. Do you have any other mom's with school age kids?

That would be a GREAT idea. I'm not all for full day kindergarten but it would make this issue better. She will only be half day and I don't have any parents that would be dropping off or picking up at either of the times required.

Sandbox Sally
03-14-2012, 12:53 PM
so Flex, worst case scenario, couldn't you feed everyone lunch, drop her off, do nap from say 12:45 to 2:45, and then be back for her by the time they get out?

Sarah
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
From my experience, afternoon drop off of a 4 year old to school is AWFUL

My daughter is 4, and she doesn't speak english yet, but is starting school in sept, half days, so I wanted her to learn a little "before" the bigs days. Once a week (and note this is only once a week), I registered her into and art program. So I had to drop her off after lunch, comme back, put the DACK to sleep, wake them up, quickly get them dressed, run to pick up. Most of the time, I was late to pick up. And EVERYtime, the DCK were sleeping in the stroller and refusing to go back to sleep after I took them inside.

I was my monday of horrors

I had to find a mommy that would agree to pick her up here and wait for me at pick up. Even that was, it was crazyyyyyyyyy

So now she is suppose to start school in sept, and I told the school that it HAS to be in the morning or she won't go until next sept

My advice, take the mornings, not the afternoon

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
BOOOOOOOO. You're right Sarah. I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too. But I want the break in the afternoon. I also don't want to have to take out 5 other children in EVERY type of weather to get ONE child.

I talked to another daycare provider who lives one block from me and she might be in a similar situation. Best case scenario, we find someone to do the drop offs and pick ups for both of us.

This sucks

jec
03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I had to pick up my own from JK last year and it was crazy!! I don't know how other daycare providers go out in all the different types of weather pulling or pushing the kids around.
My hats off to those of you who so it as it is TOUGH! There were days I came back soaked to the bone from the rain and or exhausted from pulling the kids through the snow that kept falling and making the trip there tough and the one back even harder!! I had the kids covered in my choo choo but I got smacked with everything mother nature had.
I pay someone to pick up my daughter for school and bring her back home.

Are there any stay at home moms in the park that you know of that might want to make a little extra money to do the pick up and drop off?? That is what I did, a friend of my daughter's has a Mom that stays home and I pay her to pick up and drop off and I know she is safe and I'm not worried about the rain or snow

Crayola kiddies
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
How far is the walk? Usually there is busing available for jk's unless less then .6 km away from school. I'm sure if it's not too far then it should be manageable as the bad weather doesn't usually start until dec and is gone by march .... Having said that I don't do school age unless they go to my kids school as the bus comes right to my door. Maybe just do a bit earlier lunch have a nice walk over and usually there is supervision in the school yard 15 mins before school so that would get you back home a bit earlier and get the kids in bed and maybe suggest the parent find a older student to walk back to your house and you can take $5/day off her fees .... But I know how you feel cause I have four two yr olds too and an 11 month old ... Good luck

playfelt
03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
When I did kindergarten I always had them go in the afternoon for the reasons you are thinking. We did our own things in the morning and then they went to school and little ones went for naps. No having to entertain the big kids.

It does mean shifting your schedule. You eat early and then take them to school - one thing I did do the last few years was arranged with another parent that always walked their own child was to hand off the kindergarten child to her - with the mom's blessing - and then immediately leave to come home. So kids were in bed pretty much on time. (school was from 1 - 3:15) I know they have staggered the times now so that will be an issue. I could have the kids up by 2:45 changed and be back to the school for 3:15. We had snack once we got home.

I do not regret not taking JK/SK kids because of the trip - no it isn't fair to the little ones and while they don't see a problem now you may have to deal with anger from them come next year when it is raining or -35 and still have to go to the school and they dont' want their child to go out and start threatening to pull them then what are you going to do.

If you are not able to drive them and do not have an enclosed means - there is something called a turtlebus a friend of mine had - actually had it for sale for ages when she closed her daycare but it only sat 4 as she figured the school kid would be walking. Very expensive and imported but if this is just the JK year and you plan to offer this service in the future you might want to consider something like that the keeps the little ones out of the elements.

This comes down to one of those does the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many - I have chosen the once you start school you move on - and often the younger child stays with me - many schools have half day care available at the school. Others continue to do the school runs and parents are mixed on if it is ok or not but certainly something to bring up at interviews.

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM
I have done pick up and drop off for this girl to nursery school in the afternoon. This is why I know how crazy it is. However, that was 3 days a week and I've been lucky enough to have help in the past with neighbors who are home and want to make a few extra bucks, or my assistant, or my husband who has had some hard luck with work over the last year an a half. Now my neighbours are working full time, I can't afford my assistant to come 5 days a week, and my husband has found an AMAZING job.

The walk is not far at all! But regardless of the time it takes to get there the issues still exist. It looks like my only option is to find someone to walk her.

I'll talk to mom quickly at pick up instead of having a whole meeting. It's a quick yes or no question.

I'm so tired today. I can't function. My little one didn't sleep at nap time, I'm miserable. the kids are miserable. I need the day to END!

fruitloop
03-14-2012, 02:13 PM
She will be going in the afternoon. Before drop-off would be lunch and the children will be sleeping until we have to pick her up. This is my issue.

Mom and I choose to send her afternoons so that she would be around for activities and away for nap time.

If she goes mornings nap time issue is settled but I still worry about taking all the children in the rain, and freezing weather and what not. Then there is the added issue of not getting a break because she is hanging around during nap time.

I went through this last year with my dd when she was in kindergarten. I wanted morning though and she took the bus to school and then I picked her up because the bus didn't run again until the end of the full school day. Mornings worked well for me. She would walk to the bus with the neighbour kids OR I would walk/drive her (if it was cold/rainy/gross out) to the bus in the morning (which was just around the corner). It worked well for me, as the kids showed up in the morning they would get loaded into my truck and we'd take dd to the bus. At 10:20 we would go to her school (she got out at 11:10) and because I was early, I got the prime parking spot in front so she could see me when she came out the doors. If it was nice out, I'd take the kids out of the truck to play in the playground for awhile or if it was yucky out, they'd watch a movie on the dvd player. It worked perfect. As for afternoon nap time, you may be surprised and she might nap. Kindergarten is a big change for kids and some tend to be tired. If she doesn't sleep, put a movie in and let her watch it while the others are sleeping. You still get your break that way :)

Skysue
03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
Ladies what would you charge for someone to take them to and from school. Is $10.00 too much or a good amount?

jec
03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Ladies what would you charge for someone to take them to and from school. Is $10.00 too much or a good amount?
I pay someone $40 a week ~ dd is every other day but I pay her regardless if she goes or not. I need to make it worth her while and it helps her out with gas and in return, I get my monkey safely to and from school.

Cadillac
03-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Mom said YES NO PROBLEM! . . . I swear I'm turning into a bit of a stress bag with everything going on at home. I should've just asked instead of stressing over the possibilities.

I'll start looking in June

Thank for the help everyone.

I appreciate the support

Next question: Do you split the cost with the parent? Or, do you foot the bill? I already give this family a sibling discount.

mom-in-alberta
03-15-2012, 03:24 AM
[QUOTE=FlexFunCare;11 808
Next question: Do you split the cost with the parent? Or, do you foot the bill? I already give this family a sibling discount.[/QUOTE]

Are you charging for half days or full days? If you are only charging half days, I would NOT foot the bill. I would pass it along to the parents. If you charge for the full day, I would eat that cost.

Frootloop: I'll be doing that same schedule next year when my daughter starts at Nose Creek! :) I am not sure whether I am hoping for mornings or afternoons. I just know that I want Mrs. Laubman as the teacher. Both my boys had her.

fruitloop
03-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Are you charging for half days or full days? If you are only charging half days, I would NOT foot the bill. I would pass it along to the parents. If you charge for the full day, I would eat that cost.

Frootloop: I'll be doing that same schedule next year when my daughter starts at Nose Creek! :) I am not sure whether I am hoping for mornings or afternoons. I just know that I want Mrs. Laubman as the teacher. Both my boys had her.

If you are at Nose Creek by 10:30, you'll be able to park right in front of the sidewalk that leads to the kindy doors. After 10:30 it fills up very fast in the front. :)

Afternoons would be crazy there with all the busses and traffic. (unless they get out before everyone else).

mom-in-alberta
03-16-2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I remember that.... sigh. :bored:
Either way, I know that she`ll be taking the bus one way. I still have one older son there next year to be with her to keep an eye out.
PS- I used to be one of those big yellow buses! You think it`s a traffic nightmare in a minivan.... nothing compared to a large lumbering giant like that. LoL

Cadillac
03-16-2012, 07:01 AM

It'll be somewhere in between my 4 hour rate and full time. I think it'll depend on how much I have to pay someone.

Sarah
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
But this is a 4 years old we are talking about no?

Why not take the morning and have the 4 yo sleep in the afternoon with the others???

Dayhome Mamma
03-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I have personally opted out from offering that kind of service from the start. I think you can just be honest and say that logistically it's just too difficult for you to do with the whole group. That you have thought and thought about it and how you could make it possible but it just doesn't seem feasible. They should respect your honesty and understand.

mom-in-alberta
03-17-2012, 01:47 AM
I meant to say earlier; that I had to tell parents that I was no longer able to offer transport after my daughter was born. I gave them PLENTY of notice (like, 6 months) and I did, indeed, end up losing a family because of it.
I tossed and I turned, and I WANTED to be able to do it. But I kept coming back to the logistics of it all. Loading up an infant, plus all the toddlers and my 4 yr old daughter. Fighting winter weather to jockey for a parking spot in front of a school across town from me? I just couldn't say yes.

Inspired by Reggio
03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Mom said YES NO PROBLEM! ...Next question: Do you split the cost with the parent? Or, do you foot the bill? I already give this family a sibling discount.

Personally I would NOT arrange THIRD PARTY transport for clients ... 1) the LEGALITY of that on your business is IMMENSE and you would have to check with your insurance company weather they would COVER that because a traditional home childcare ryder does not COVER EMPLOYEES 2) supposing your insurance is ok even still hiring someone to take over a portion of your business makes you an 'employer' and subject to employer tax laws and regulations - legally my understanding than you would have to hirer someone old enough to legally work and pay them accordingly as per minimum wage for your Province and well 3) your business is 'liable' for anything that than might occur between your home and the child safely arriving to school ... that is a HUGE risk cause so much could happen if you 'hirer' poorly or something happens accident wise en route to your daycare client :(

However if the CLIENT pays for and arranges for someone to do this -than the 'legality' ends the minute the person they hired and paid shows up to pick up the child and does not start again until the child is returned to your care from school ... if that person than 'quits' it is the parent who is scrambling to make new arrangements NOT YOU and so forth and the CLIENT who is not a 'business' is than free to hirer say a 12 year old grade 7-8 student and pay them 'whatever' the kids is willing to do it for cause they are not protected under Employment Standards Act or anything like an 'employee of your business' would be.

mom-in-alberta
03-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Truthfully, I am with Reggio on this one. I would not arrange the transport personally. I would leave it to mom. This absolves me of the responsibility. If I chose someone and something should happen, I just don't know.... seems likely that it could end badly.

Skysue
03-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Personally I would NOT arrange THIRD PARTY transport for clients ... 1) the LEGALITY of that on your business is IMMENSE and you would have to check with your insurance company weather they would COVER that because a traditional home childcare ryder does not COVER EMPLOYEES 2) supposing your insurance is ok even still hiring someone to take over a portion of your business makes you an 'employer' and subject to employer tax laws and regulations - legally my understanding than you would have to hirer someone old enough to legally work and pay them accordingly as per minimum wage for your Province and well 3) your business is 'liable' for anything that than might occur between your home and the child safely arriving to school ... that is a HUGE risk cause so much could happen if you 'hirer' poorly or something happens accident wise en route to your daycare client :(

However if the CLIENT pays for and arranges for someone to do this -than the 'legality' ends the minute the person they hired and paid shows up to pick up the child and does not start again until the child is returned to your care from school ... if that person than 'quits' it is the parent who is scrambling to make new arrangements NOT YOU and so forth and the CLIENT who is not a 'business' is than free to hirer say a 12 year old grade 7-8 student and pay them 'whatever' the kids is willing to do it for cause they are not protected under Employment Standards Act or anything like an 'employee of your business' would be.

I would give your daycare Mom the parents contact and have her call them and make the arrangements herself!