PDA

View Full Version : Follow Up Question, RE: Choices, choices

mom-in-alberta
03-15-2012, 04:10 AM
Soooo, one more thing:
If I do indeed provide "summer care" the parents will be paying the full fee for the months of July and August. The B/A fee only applies during school months, obviously. I have a trip to the US scheduled for mid July, and I will be gone about a week.
My contract stipulates that I have 10 paid working days during the calendar year, ie: vacation days.
I know that I don't plan on using them up before then, so TECHNICALLY, I am entitled to charge the entire monthly fee, for that month.
HOWEVER, I will not be filling these B/A spots this school year. I will be advertising in April or May, and any kids that start will be doing so July 1st. So do you think that people will be pissed if I am starting them that month and taking a week off, with pay?
I think I would be, LoL.... :o
When I first started doing daycare, I opened up July 1st. We went away for a week that July, too. I prorated that months fees, because I didn't feel right about it. Especially since I knew upfront that I was only taking that family over the summer. They were done at the end of August.
What would you do?

playfelt
03-15-2012, 06:00 AM
A lot of your families will be taking summer vacation too. Just let them know when you interview which week you will be closed. Some people that do just b/a also operate with two contracts - a school year one Sept-June and a summer one. The rules are slightly different on each on. With the summer parents book by the week not the whole summer. That means for instance they might have their child in soccer camp one week in July and a family vacation week first week of Aug and then dance camp the last week of Aug. They would then book for the remaining weeks and would be charged accordingly. That means over the summer you might have 10-12 kids registered but not all of them all weeks. Then you would just be closed one of the weeks. Means no paid vacation time though. Parents used to paying only a small amount for care during the school year are annoyed about having to pay double for a full day. Parents having to pay for a week of summer camp plus you may just make them angry. At most I would be only charging them the b/a rate from the year as in that rate stays in effect all year and then for any full day they come they pay an additional fee - ie PD, March, Summer. So your holiday pay is only the b/a rate from the school year not the full time rate from the summer and a parent could certainly argue that.