PDA

View Full Version : F*** instead of truck : o

Crayola kiddies
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I have a dcb who will be 3 in the summer and he is a late talker .... He says f**k instead of truck .... But he can say tractor . If I say to him "say tr uck " he says "tr f**k" so I decided to just say car or van ... Now I have another dcb who just turned 2 before Christmas and does not say too many words ... Car was always his favourite and now he says Fruck and parents are less then impressed ...mind you when first child started this I gave a heads up to all other parents..... So the question of the day is ...... Any suggestions of how to correct this?

sunnydays
03-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry...I am laughing too hard to give any advice! My 21 month old daughter says "sh*t" instead of "sit" and her almost four year old brother has the opposite problem and cannot say the "sh" sound, so he knows the bad word (learned it from his teenaged brother), but when he says it, it comes out "sit". And then he asks me "Is sit a bad word?"...well, it depends what you mean by it! hahahaha!

playfelt
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Time and smirking out of sight.

First the adults are upset because they know the word that is too close - kids don't and he isnt' doing it on purpose. He can say tractor becuase the vowel sound that follows the tr puts the tongue into a different position.

My daughter was a dreadful talker and has speech therapy. She basically learned to speak letter by letter. Some you put the tongue to the front of your mouth against your teeth, some you curl it to the back, etc. Then when you group letters into blends you have to find a middle ground for the tongue. The more he uses his mouth to talk the sooner the sounds will come. R is a hard sound to make and then mix it in a blend compounds that. It is the R sound he is missing so work on words that start with r. We played silly word using the vowels a,e,i,o,u such as ran, ren, rin, ron, run so practice rack, reck, rick, rock, ruck. When he can say ruck correctly consistently then do the blend so now it becomes treck, trick, track, trock, truck. Clap your hands as you say the chant - basically you are counting to five. Start slowly to get all of the sounds then speed it up - the speeding up helps it to become more automatic to make that sound.

Do it with all of the kids under the quise of language and phonics so he doesn't feel centred out. If you still see no progress over time then he may need to be assessed for speech.

Crayola kiddies
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
I too think it hilarious ...... But the second set of parents don't !!! My own son says "assss" instead of yes and four comes out like "whore" but it will evolve eventually and I don't really react to it other then a little chuckle ... I try not to chuckle in front if the parents. Thanks for all the advise playfelt ! I knew you'd come through for me ; ).

playfelt
03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Parents and their hangups is my hangup,lol.

Momof4
03-15-2012, 03:54 PM
My baby sister used to say fruck for truck too and I come from a family of farmers. My Mom was mortified and taught her to say 'pickup' instead of truck.

If this dcb were one of mine it wouldn't bother me at all, he'll get it soon.

Crayola kiddies
03-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Well it doesnt really bother me but it does bother the parents of the younger child and they are young parents themselves ( actually everybody is young to me haha) and maybe they think it's a reflection on them but it's just a stage .... All these sounds and consonant blends are tough for their little mouths and it's nit like he says it after he falls down or Stubbs his toe he's pointing to a picture in a book or a toy in his hand ..... But I do like the "pick up" suggestion ..... Haga I'll try that tomorrow.

Sandbox Sally
03-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I said F%^K for truck. My uncles used to run with it, and my dad used to get mad at them. With this knowledge, it was pretty hard for me to think that my son was a bad kid when he did the same with one of my dck's who pronounced truck the same way. :D

Parents need to take the stick out and deal with it. Yeesh.

parentof1
03-15-2012, 04:57 PM
thanks for the laugh I needed that

Play and Learn
03-15-2012, 05:10 PM
When my nephew was learning to speak, he could say truck on it's own, but when paired with another word it came out differently! They WILL get it, and the parents just have to relax. Don't make a big deal out of it, and repeat the word correctly to them.

Nephew would say Dumbfuck for DumpTruck, and toefuck for TowTruck. This only lasted for 2 weeks to much of my brothers (my nephews dad) and I! lol My sis-in-law was happy!

Thanks for the laugh! Can't stand parents who need to be in control like that all the time!

Cadillac
03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
OK. no no advice here but when my 20 month old drops something she say 'Oh SH**!* NOT FUNNY I KNOW . . . . BUT IT IS!!!!!!! I'm curbing this behaviour but its one of those things I can't help but giggle at.

Good thing I'm the only one who understands what she's saying.

Cadillac
03-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Nephew would say Dumbfuck for DumpTruck, and toefuck for TowTruck. This only lasted for 2 weeks to much of my brothers (my nephews dad) and I! lol My sis-in-law was happy!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG MY BELLY HURTS. Think I'm gonna call a couple friends just to read this thread out loud. I'm DYING!

Crayola kiddies
03-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Bahahahaha @ p&l "dumbfuck" & "towfuck" ..... I'm bustin a gut here .....
One day my 3 yr old daughter wanted to go outside so she opened the patio door but it was really windy and she slamed the door and said " holy crap I need a frigging jacket". I laughed so hard I thought I was going to go into convulsions ......god I love kids

jodaycare
03-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I used to have a dcb that said Motherf*****r for motorcycle! Mom told me about it when he first started saying it so I wasn't shocked but I did laugh out loud when she told me!

mom-in-alberta
03-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Bahahahaha @ p&l "dumbfuck" & "towfuck" ..... I'm bustin a gut here .....
One day my 3 yr old daughter wanted to go outside so she opened the patio door but it was really windy and she slamed the door and said " holy crap I need a frigging jacket". I laughed so hard I thought I was going to go into convulsions ......god I love kids

It doesn`t seem that bad until you hear it come from the mouth of a 3 year old, does it.... HA HA HA.
My oldest used to say F$%* instead of `frog` or `fork`. We giggled behind our hands and said `Yes, a FROG.`He is ten now, and rest assured he does not still pronounce it that way.
Parents of the younger child need to simmer down. How on earth is it that you have ``control``of that type of thing anyway... and what are you expected to do about it, is what I would like to know.
Anyway, thanks for the daily laugh. :woot:

Mamma_Mia
03-16-2012, 09:35 PM
My daughter also says ass for yes and cock-it for chocolate LOL

Inspired by Reggio
03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Yup the less 'attention' one gives to these accidental curse words the better ... I too just repeat the word 'correctly' in my reply back to them ... because children love our attention and will continue long past being able to correctly say it just for the 'reinforcement' saying it incorrectly gets them!

Now if a child 'curses' in the correct context or uses words that are considered rude or hurtful in some circles I would ignore it the FIRST time but if it became a habit I would just say 'that is not a word we use here - here we can say XXXX" insert whatever word is suitable .... the word STUPID for example is not a word that I personally like and therefore gets redirected to SILLY or HARD / FRUSTRATING depending on the context it was used in ... as in "that was so stupid" if a child does something they did not intend gets redirected to 'well that was a silly thing to do" verses 'OMG this toy is so stupid' being redirected to 'yes I can see that toy is hard/frustrating for you'....and eventually they GET that those words are not for HERE cause I do not use them!