PDA

View Full Version : Foster care

Mrs Ahmed
03-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi care providers
Does anyone know how we can join foster care or the whole procedure? Does anyone gone through their care procedure.
thanks for suggestions in advance

mom-in-alberta
03-17-2012, 01:29 AM
You mean that you would like to BE a foster parent?
I would do an internet search for "How to become a foster parent" + your province
Keep in mind that it is not for the faint of heart. If you become a foster parent, you will see a lot of absolutely heartbreaking situations, that you may or may not be able to do anything about. But if you would like to provide a caring and safe environment(sometime s for a long time, sometimes only for a short period) for some children who are in what is likely the darkest part of thier life so far; then I wish you all the best. It takes a very kind and generous person to do so, for sure!!
Good luck :)

sunnydays
03-17-2012, 08:06 AM
If you are running a daycare as well, you may want to procede carefully. I admire anyone who has what it takes to take in foster kids and this is a much needed thing. However, realistically, many children in foster care have been abused, neglected, etc and have some real issues to deal with. You may have to deal with some severe baviour issues etc and sometimes it can include violence and aggression. You will need to make sure you have a plan in place to protect your daycare children (as well as your own children if you have any) in case of this type of situation. I wish you the best of luck with this endeavour if you decide to do it. It takes a very special person to care for these kids and they really need someone to care for them.

Inspired by Reggio
03-17-2012, 11:12 AM
I agree google to find the contact agency for your Province and get contact info - most agencies have 'information nights' regularly where you can come out and ask questions and so forth

Also not sure which Province you are in but here in Ontario if you are running a home childcare AND wanting to foster children there will be challenges around the 'age' of children you can foster or the age of children you can have in your daycare and so forth ... I have a peer who had to basically 'close up' shop because she was fostering and it was too hard to balance the age groupings for the daycare plus getting the foster children to 'visitation' and so forth.