PDA

View Full Version : Helmets ?

ECE53
03-19-2012, 11:01 AM
Do you use helmets when children using ride on toys and tricycles? We have a climber where we ride and I worry about strangulation . How do you manage taking helmets off and on. Do you provide helmet or do the parents?

Inspired by Reggio
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I do not make them wear helmets in the backyard - there is not enough room for them to get up to any serious speed, there is no risk of a VEHICLE hitting them and the 'fall distance' off the small ride on toy or trike is LESS than if they fell off the climber or a chair and I do not make them where a helmet engaged in those activities.

Now if I felt the 'desire' to allow it and they were riding their bikes off my property where we were crossing driveways, roads or out where vehicles traveling at higher speeds were driving than yes i would make them wear a helmet than because my concern would not be a fall from the bike but getting HIT by a vehicle where the driver had lost control for some reason OR a child loosing control of their trike and veering into the road and so forth than they would be wearing helmets for sure ... however I would not be comfortable with taking multiple children out and about like this so we 'walk' anywhere we go and they are attached to me crossing any streets and driveways and so forth.

sunnydays
03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I am the same as Reggio. The kids only ride trikes and other ride-ons in my yard and actually there isn't even any cement in my yard. I would not let them out even in the driveway as I just feel there is too much risk if one child decides to run into the road etc. I see daycare providers every day out on the main road with their kids playing in the driveway and it makes me nervous. They seem to have trained them very well, but I always think it only takes once to have serious consequences.

Sandbox Sally
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM
Ditto that. No helmets here, as the ride ons are only in my yard. If I was taking the children to the park where there was a climber, for sure I'd remove all their helmets and ask that they not use the ride on toys until it was time to leave.

ECE53
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
We ride at the park ..... I live literally across the street ... Not a busy street. I generally let the children use the climber, play in the sandbox around the climber and then use push toys, tikes on the path around the sandbox. With 5 I don't know how I would put helmets off and along with sun hats etc..... I had a parent bring me helmet today ... I think I will just not use the trikes anymore..... Thanks for your opinions.

Inspired by Reggio
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
...I think I will just not use the trikes anymore..... Thanks for your opinions.

I would safe the trikes to the backyard and walk to the park if it were me .... lots of things to keep you busy at the park you do not need trikes too and less stress of worrying about the helmets ;)