PDA

View Full Version : Spring! Trampoline?

Dreamalittledream
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Not sure what the weather has been like lately for wherever you happen to be in Canada...but 3 cheers for sunshine and OUTSIDE days with no wrestling with the snow gear :).
Last year we had our trampoline (the big kind with the safety net) in a fenced off area inaccessible for the daycare kids. I'm debating moving it over so they (my 2+ year olds) can go on it this year (we have strict house rules for even our children, who are older....1 at a time, must be supervised etc.). We have a 2 year old son who I let on it last year; he really generated very little bounce, but had a blast when we put all kinds of beach balls in with him...Any thoughts? Too high of a safety risk?

Play and Learn
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Just an FYI: I do know that some insurance companies won't insure you if you have a trampoline or a pool. Something to think about!

I personally wouldn't allow daycare kids on a trampoline, but that's just me....

Inspired by Reggio
03-20-2012, 12:17 PM
I am with Play and Learn - double check with your insurance carrier that they are A) aware you have one cause mine every year has a 'checklist' they ask about every year at renewal and do you have a trampoline, pool, outdoor fire pit are a few of the things on it and B) that you are insured to actually USE IT as part of your business.

Personally I am another where the liability if something went wrong is so NOT worth the enjoyment it might bring to the kids .... way too many deaths associated with trampolines gone wrong :(

sunnydays
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm with the others...I wouldn't use it for daycare. I won't even buy one for my own kids...I'm a worry wart when it comes to stuff like that. Especially with the the daycare, why take the risk when it isn't necessary.

Dreamalittledream
03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes, I realized that it's just not worth the risk. Rather them using their imaginations/playing in the sand etc. Very good point about the insurance/liability! Thanks so much:)

lilac
03-25-2012, 09:29 PM
my daughter ended up in a cast from a trampoline accident.... fractured growth plate... no fun... I'm not a fan of trampolines!

Sarah
03-26-2012, 12:10 PM
ok I feel really akward now! I have a trampoline, everybody use it. My kids, the DCK. Parents are aware. It is 2 max at a time, same age group, and the jumping has to stay playfull, and respectfull, nothing silly is permitted.

I remember my insurance asking for a pool, but they never asked for a trampoline, I would remember that!

You are scaring me!

Judy Trickett
03-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Just an FYI: I do know that some insurance companies won't insure you if you have a trampoline or a pool. Something to think about!

I personally wouldn't allow daycare kids on a trampoline, but that's just me....

Moi aussi........

Yep, wouldn't happen here either. One, because it is against my insurance policy. And two, because trampolines are the one of the number one reason for emergency room visits. In North America 75,000 people go to the ER due to trampoline play EACH YEAR.

Too big a risk for me and my livelihood.

Momof4
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
My grandson broke his leg on a trampoline when he was only a toddler because a bigger kid landed on him. They scare me.

mamaof4
03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
I love playing on trampolines but I would not use one for day care kids- I may consider one of those little ones for exercise, but that is it.

Dreamalittledream
03-27-2012, 08:23 AM
ok I feel really akward now! I have a trampoline, everybody use it. My kids, the DCK. Parents are aware. It is 2 max at a time, same age group, and the jumping has to stay playfull, and respectfull, nothing silly is permitted.

I remember my insurance asking for a pool, but they never asked for a trampoline, I would remember that!

You are scaring me!. Thanks for your honesty Sarah:). Coincidentally, the day home I had my sons in prior to staying home had one...providor was very safe. I honestly didn't give it a second thought as to my kids using it. In fact, that they loved it so much is the reason we got our own. So, I totally understand your side too.

Sarah
03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I let them play in it this afternoon, but since I have read you all, I am freaking out! haahahahaha!

I think I will have a good discussion with my insurance company soon!

And yes, the kids love it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much, all of them. Even the 10 months old. Of course, he's not jumping nor going with anybody else, but he likes crawling in it and loves when I bounce it a little with my hands.

mom-in-alberta
03-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Yeeaaaahhhh.... we have one too. :o
And I have allowed dc kids on it. They are always supervised, and I am a total nag about safe play. They are only allowed 2 at a time, and the same age groups at a time. If anyone gets rowdy or too wound up, they are done. Usually they play games like Ring Around the Rosie, etc. Or I put a ball in and they toss it around.