PDA

View Full Version : Do you Drive?

Sandbox Sally
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
I moved back to Canada in Dec of 2010, and my Florida licence was expired. I put off getting another, as the TTC is so amazing, I haven't really needed one. Anyhow, long story short, I have had no licence or registered vehicle since I started running my day home, but recently I have obtained a licence, and we are going to look at new vehicles this weekend (DH drives a truck for work). I am excited!

Do you guys drive with your daycare children? If you do, how far, and was it a big issue with parents? My daughter has been accepted to an alternative school that is about a 10 min drive from our house, and I'd much rather drive her and pick her up than make her take the city bus on her own. I am just uncertain of how the parents will feel, as it was never brought up in any interview.

sunnydays
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I drive with my daycare kids although not so much these days since I have morning nappers and never have enough time for outings! But we do drive to pick up my son from preschool in bad weather. None of the parents have any problem with it other than to make sure that the carseats are properly installed (although none of them have actually asked to check). However, when I started up, some parents were concerned about the driving and ended up going elsewhere. One thing to beware of if you are buying a van is that it can be hard to fit all the carseats in smaller vans. I have a Mazda MPV, which I love, but it was nearly impossible to fit three carseats on the back row...I had to buy Sunshine Kids, which are quite expensive and installing them was a pain as there wasn't any space between them. I have it in my contract that parents have the right to inspect the carseat installation. I also avoid the highway as higher speeds bring more risk. Also, if there is ever freezing rain or a snowstorm, I don't drive. You can always tell parents that you are hoping to buy a van so that you can do more outings and let them know all the fun things you will now be able to do and see what their reactions are like. Good luck! I wish I had an 8 passenger van instead of 7...but now I can't afford to trade it in!

Inspired by Reggio
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
I got an 8 seater Montana van two years ago - best investment EVER! I love the freedom it offers and the isolation during cold wet months is no longer a factor in my program cause we can get out in the rain and extreme cold!

Like any contract changeyou run the risk of it being a deal breaker for certain clients and adding transport is no different - however if this is something you NEED to be able to do for your daughters schooling you DO IT and find clients who it WILL be ok with ;)

None of my clients had an issue with the addition and none of my new ones either ... to show them that 'safety' is my utmost concern I show them my 'insurance ryder' that proves I am covered to transport children on my ryder, I took the Carseat Installer and Safety Technician to become a 'certified car seat installer' so that I prove I have the skills to install seats properly for each age group and i continue to volunteer at carseat clinics so that I keep that skill up to date. I drew up and amended 'field trip consent forms' to include the 'van' and a place for clients where they have to choose which carseat option and direction based on their child's age, weight and height and the options my carseats have - aka I can rear face to 35 pounds if they want, I can forward face to 4feet9inches and 65 pounds in a 5 point harness and I have one 'high back booster' position for children over 40 pounds and 40 inches and ideally over 4 years of age....this helps to ease concern that a child might be place in an 'incorrect' seat or position in the car.

As for how 'far' I go ... I travel pretty much anywhere within the city limits to attend playgroups and various parks or museums and so forth on the 'standard consent' form which means we can do this at 'anytime without prior notice' to clients - they are spontaneous trips and in addition we have taken FULL DAY field trips to greater distances however with 'additional prewarned consent' from parents because it means taking the highway and so forth ... to a Farm, Maple Sugar bush, a Butterfly Conservatory, a kick ass children's museum in a neighboring city and so forth - I have yet to have anyone say NO however that could be because my policy clearly states that if the 'majority' vote to attend something those clients in the minority are free to keep their child HOME however since the program is open and offering service payment is still required cause I do not want to take a pay cut for doing something FUN for kids and I do not want to not be able to do something FUN because one client has transport issues so chances are people with transport issues have just not signed on with me due to that policy :o

Mamma_Mia
03-20-2012, 02:04 PM
I also drive but not as often now since we only have a Mazda6......looking into getting a van this fall! Parents didn't have an issue with it and I only go out once maybe twice a week anyways. I do make it clear that I do highway drive but only if it's good enough conditions. And yes I made them all sign a release & approval. One parent has even lent their 'extra' seat for us to use for her daughter. I have 2 and can only hold 3 but its VERY tight! Anyways thakns for the tips on to which models to look into!

Inspired by Reggio
03-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Ya - finding a MODEL that will fit enough carseats is key ... if I were 'skinnier' my van would fit 5 x the 5 point harness cause the one sit will flip foward with a forward facing tethered chair in it cause it tethers TO the chair base - however my boobs and butt are way too big to 'squeeze through' the space that is left to get into the backseat to do up the back two kids belts - so I can only travel if I have a child who is 40 pounds, 40 inches and ideally 4 years of age to move to the booster seat which allows me to properly flip the seat out of the way to get in there ... I could SQUEEZE back there if I HAD to I just prefer not to cause I have a bad back ... if you were thin and had a good back you could easily have 5 carseats tethered into the Montana ... mine is the 8 seater 'extended' version not sure if that makes a difference!

Mamma_Mia
03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Great to know! Thanks!!

sunnydays
03-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I load the kids in the back seat through the trunk...they are all rear facing (safer anyway) and it is way easier to get them in and out! Just a little trick ;)

Sandbox Sally
03-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for all the comments! We are not looking at minivans - our biggest condenders at the moment are either a Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder or an 8 seat GMC Acadia. I have been there, done that with a minivan, and I have put in my time. ;) Time for something a little more ME. None of these cars have a third row access issue any worse than my previous minivan, so I am ready to move on, and to buy four carseats too! :S I will introduce the idea mid July. We'll see how it goes with parents. I am a little nervous, but I really don't think they'll all leave. Perhaps some will, but I have to take that risk, I guess.

Inspired by Reggio
03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
I load the kids in the back seat through the trunk...they are all rear facing (safer anyway) and it is way easier to get them in and out! Just a little trick ;)

OMG AWESOME IDEA ... I will have to look at that option to see how high my seats are if I could reach over them to do this from the back easier than trying to flip the middle row seat forward to get back there!!

Spixie33
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I was thisclose to getting a GMC Acadia last fall (2011) so that I could have a nice looking adult car that also holds 7-8 people and I could go out with the daycare kids. It sounded awesome to be able to go to Big Als Aquarium or to parks outside our neighbourhood etc.

Unfoirtunately hubby and the pocketbook came down on my idea and squashed it like a bug. The argument was that it wasn't practical or affordable for me to buy a different vehicle just for the daycare. I got the Runabout stroller instead. :laugh:

The only word of caution I would have for you BEFORE you buy anything is to call your insurance for a quote. Another daycare in my neighbourhood went and bought herself a Mini van for outings and then called the insurance about insuring it for the daycare and she was quoted nearly DOUBLE what the rate would be without using it for daycare. Needless to say she has had the van for 5 months now and never used it for daycare.

So either you face astronomical insurance or else you risk driving and hope you don't make a claim during daycare times.

I don't drive anywhere with the daycare kids personally since I only have a car and it could not hold enough kids.

Some parents during interviews are relieved that we don't drive anywhere because they are terrified of providers taking their little ones on the road.

However...since you have existing families where the issue was never really brought up - I would tell them as a fact rather than asking them their permission.

I would just say "we are getting a van and it is going to be so exciting to get out with the kids since we couldn't ever do that before."

Then see how they react and then do a consent form that just covers you for basic permission to travel with you via vehicle in proper, lawful child restraints.

Good luck !

Inspired by Reggio
03-20-2012, 06:35 PM
The only word of caution I would have for you BEFORE you buy anything is to call your insurance for a quote. Another daycare in my neighbourhood went and bought herself a Mini van for outings and then called the insurance about insuring it for the daycare and she was quoted nearly DOUBLE what the rate would be without using it for daycare. Needless to say she has had the van for 5 months now and never used it for daycare.

I ran into this issue as well BEFORE I opened and was doing my research and it is why I was open for two years before GETTING my van cause I had some dude quote me the same thing - it was something like $200 MORE a month than my current insurance and I was like SO NOT WORTH IT ... however what happened was that dude did not understand what I was ASKING and quoted me the cost for insurance to have one of those school vans where transport of children for the purpose of business is ALL that is done with it ... kinda like taxi drivers and pizza delivery drivers and all those other people who spend ALL DAY in the vehicle with the sole purpose of transport as their business .... this is NOT what we want we just want a home childcare ryder placed on the vehicle to 'occasionally transport up to 5 additional children who are not our own' .... it cost me like $20 a month for that additional liability insurance on my vehicle ... which SO made it worth it for me cause it costs me $5 a trip to take the bus with the kids so that is a 'trip a week' plus I can write it off AND write off portion of the vehicle itself and so forth.

Get her to call back and clarify that she just wants an additional home childcare 'ryder' put on her vehicle ... not that she is offering the service of 'transportation for purpose of business' with the van and see if she gets a BETTER quote????

Spixie33
03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Get her to call back and clarify that she just wants an additional home childcare 'ryder' put on her vehicle ... not that she is offering the service of 'transportation for purpose of business' with the van and see if she gets a BETTER quote????

Ohhhhh interesting. I will tell her when I see her next week at OEYC. She might be relieved to hear that. Maybe there is hope. I always feel bad when I walk past her house and see that van sitting there :o

mom-in-alberta
03-21-2012, 02:57 AM
I used to do school transport in my own vehicle. I did have a family walk away because of it. (Although I am glad, because they were "bubble-wrap" parents, anyway)
Most parents just want to know that you are driving a properly registered and insured vehicle that is safe to be in.

Sandbox Sally
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I would LOVE to weed out my bubble wrappers, as I feel grief every day from them, but baby is a DOLL, and they pay me on time every week and are always here for pick up and drop off at the same time!

Re: buying a vehicle for daycare - this isn't happening in my situation. I am buying this vehicle for my family, primarily. I just want to be able to transport dck's if I want to. I have three school aged kids and a shepherd/husky, so the 7 or 8 seat SUV is a necessity for us anyhow. :rolleyes:

And as far as vehicle insurance goes, I have none right now, so I can shop around to find the best rate for daycare transport. Who says my home insurance and vehicle insurance has to be through the same company?

sunnydays
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
If it is too hard to load them forward facing over the backs, you could turn them rear facing and put the smallest kids in the back. They are now recommending that carseats be left rear facing for 2 years or more (check out the Transport Canada website). It is okay if their feat hit the back of the seat (just take their shoes off or protect your seats). I have one child who is almost two and she rides very comfortably rear facing...and she is not a small child.

OMG AWESOME IDEA ... I will have to look at that option to see how high my seats are if I could reach over them to do this from the back easier than trying to flip the middle row seat forward to get back there!!

sunnydays
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, and also, I used to have two rear facing and one forward facing in the back and I would put the 2 year old in the side door...he would walk to the seat and climb in and then I would reach in from the back trunk to do up his buckles...that works well too...I don't have much space to climb back there from the front!

If it is too hard to load them forward facing over the backs, you could turn them rear facing and put the smallest kids in the back. They are now recommending that carseats be left rear facing for 2 years or more (check out the Transport Canada website). It is okay if their feat hit the back of the seat (just take their shoes off or protect your seats). I have one child who is almost two and she rides very comfortably rear facing...and she is not a small child.

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I double checked and I could not do it if the seats are forward facing - my carseats come up way over the back of the bench seat .... but I could so do it if I had two rear facing back there - maybe in the Fall I might try this if I end up with noone over 40 pounds and 40 inches to sit in the highback .... it wont work right now cause I only have 1 babe and everyone else is over 35 pounds and my seats only rear face to 35 pounds :(

sunnydays
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Could you at least send them in to sit on their own and then reach from the back to do the buckles?

I double checked and I could not do it if the seats are forward facing - my carseats come up way over the back of the bench seat .... but I could so do it if I had two rear facing back there - maybe in the Fall I might try this if I end up with noone over 40 pounds and 40 inches to sit in the highback .... it wont work right now cause I only have 1 babe and everyone else is over 35 pounds and my seats only rear face to 35 pounds :(

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
I honestly do not think my boobs would fit in between the two seats to reach down to do the lap clip ... either that or they might smother a kid while I made the effort ... seriously I am a 40 HH cup :o

Sandbox Sally
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
I honestly do not think my boobs would fit in between the two seats to reach down to do the lap clip ... either that or they might smother a kid while I made the effort ... seriously I am a 40 HH cup :o

Holy crap! Wish I had such problems...anything I had that even resembled a boob went on a permanent vacation after I weaned #3. Heavysigh. Could we maybe SHARE the boobage? That way, you'd be able to get in and out of the back, and I'd look like a woman. ;)

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
LOL - if only I could I certainly would and my back would thank ya

Even my Dr keeps advocating for a 'reduction' but I know that hiding under there somewhere are the 32 C cups I once had which were perfect... the HH are because the medication they put me on when I was sick and preparing for a hysterectomy as a result caused thyroid went wonky and I went from 156 pounds to well over double that - but apparently it is taking up permanent residence cause nothing I do will take it off so have sort of gotten to that point that starving myself for 6 months only to loose 1 pound or working out 2 plus hours a day for 6 months only to loose 2 pounds just was not 'worth it' :rolleyes:

Sandbox Sally
03-21-2012, 01:49 PM
LOL - if only I could I certainly would and my back would thank ya

Even my Dr keeps advocating for a 'reduction' but I know that hiding under there somewhere are the 32 C cups I once had which were perfect... the HH are because the medication they put me on when I was sick and preparing for a hysterectomy as a result caused thyroid went wonky and I went from 156 pounds to well over double that - but apparently it is taking up permanent residence cause nothing I do will take it off so have sort of gotten to that point that starving myself for 6 months only to loose 1 pound or working out 2 plus hours a day for 6 months only to loose 2 pounds just was not 'worth it' :rolleyes:

Ugh...that is rotten!! Is your thyroid ok now?

sunnydays
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Although it's not really a laughing matter (the thyroid problems and weight gain and all), you ladies crack me up! I am imagining a child being smothered while you buckle her/him in and it is a pretty funny image ;) Thanks for the good laugh of the day and I do apologize for laughing as I am not laughing at your situation, only the image you presented me with (lol)!

mom-in-alberta
03-22-2012, 03:11 AM
Alpha... I have some to "share" with you! :p
I'm 5'5", about 130lbs and my ladies are a size EE.
That was cool when I was 18, hehehe. Now I just look unproportionate. And I have terrible posture. A redux is definitely in the cards for me.
The grass is always greener, isn't it? LoL

Sandbox Sally
03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Alpha... I have some to "share" with you! :p
I'm 5'5", about 130lbs and my ladies are a size EE.
That was cool when I was 18, hehehe. Now I just look unproportionate. And I have terrible posture. A redux is definitely in the cards for me.
The grass is always greener, isn't it? LoL

Green grass indeed ;)

Momof4
03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Well, this is not about boobs or cars or vans, haha. I walk everywhere with my group and we take the city bus to parks and splashpads and the library. It takes lots of practice and children who are well-behaved but at least we are never stranded.