PDA

View Full Version : Hello from BC!

MrsD07
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi all! I am new to your site and just wanted to introduce myself! I have one (nearly) grown son, who is 17 and have recently started a dayhome.

I was nervous to start it, at first. I wondered if parents would think it was strange that I don't have little ones of my own, and yet, here I am....

However, we don't have little ones, because we can't. And I love children. And there is no work for me in our community. So, I figured I would give it a go :)

For the most part, I have had great experiences so far! I just wish that I could find steady, full time kids. I only have one, and then one part time, and a couple of occasional drop in kids too......but I need the steady income!!

So far, I am not registered, but am looking into that as my next step. Anyone have an opinion either way as to if it is better or not? Pros? Cons?

Anyway, looking forward to finding some info around here, and hearing opinions of other providers as well!!

Dreamalittledream
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Welcome Mrs.D! Hope you're enjoying it so far? This site is a wonderful one and has made me think of things I would never have thought of! I just started mine in August and as of yet am not registered; I too am sitting on the fence as to whether to or not. I have had the fortune of being full (5 full times, age range from 1 to 3) from the day I opened, so I guess I haven't felt the need to be licensed (not one parent has yet asked if I am!). I do run my day home as though I were though and my contract/paperwork clearly states the steps I take to make sure this is a safe, well thought out environment.

sunnydays
03-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the forum! I am originally from BC (Victoria area), but I've been in Ontario for 8 years now. I know that there are different rules and procedures in BC than in Ontario, so I can't really comment on becoming licensed. In Ontario I haven't found it necessary and have had no problem doing it privately, but you will have to look into how it works in your area. I was under the impression that daycare providers had to be licensed in BC? I could be wrong...it's been a long time since I lived there and I didn't provide daycare there (well, I did for a while, but it was only one child, so more like babysitting or nannying).

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Welcome to the forum MrsD07 ... I do not have any wee ones at home either I chose to open up a home based childcare program to help create work life balance for myself doing something I loved - I had worked in centre environments prior but had just become disillusioned over the years and felt being in my home I could truly offer a program that reflected my personal philosophy authentic to me.

I am not familiar with BC licensing rules so cannot give effective advice on is it better to be licensed there or not ... I started out with a licensed agency when I made the transition to home childcare cause licensed was all I KNEW and well it is always toted to be BEST PRACTICE however quickly found, at least in Ontario, that being licensed is actually NOT ideal for the provider OR the client unless they need access to subsidized fees - because it limits your income but costs the clients using your program who actually have to pay FEES EVEN MORE $$$ because the fees are higher to pay the middle man who is 'supervising' your program plus to offset the subsidy program of others ... I prefer to self regulate myself and have my clients 'supervising' that my program is indeed what I claim it to be cause they are here twice a day to inspect for themselves ... and win win because it costs them LESS for better service because I make MORE income this way and can invest that back into my program and services as well.

There ARE benefits to being with an agency .... since they do all the advertizing and handles all the 'financial' end you do not ever have to worry about dealing with conflict with clients over payments, if a client is not a match to the program or causing issues they help mediate that so you are not dealing with it alone, they have toy lending libraries and other professional development resources and so forth ... however if you are strong communicator with clear policies you do not NEED that and well we can access toy lending library and PD as needed on our own for cheaper ;)

Momof4
03-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi, I'm in Ontario but I get to visit your beautiful province once a year to visit my oldest daughter and her hubby & 4 boys. They live in Winfield and I'll be there in June, can't wait!

Welcome to our profession and just keep trying to improve your daycare every month, get an ironclad contract made up, make a website for sure because it helps and accept the fact that it is going to be a difficult first year. We have a lot of ups and downs in this business but it's great when you sign on a baby and have them with you for 3-4 years before having to interview and start over again.

I've been doing this for 4 years now and I've learned so much and changed my daycare over and over until I have everything running smoothly and 5 wonderful families who appreciate all my hard work and dedication to them and their children. Believe in yourself and your abilities to provide a wonderful daycare service and you will find great clients. Best of luck!

daycaremom9
03-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi there. I run a licensed daycare in Langley, B.C. I'm wondering if the lack of children is because you're unlicensed or perhaps it's just a low-demand area. I have been open for over 5 years now. I didn't have alot of clients at first; it took time to build up my business. The preschool teacher has helped me by telling her parents about me; so if you could perhaps get in good with the school's preschool program. It takes time for word of mouth to get out, so be patient. I now have friends and relatives of previous clients calling me looking for daycare. I also advertise on Craigslist. By the way, I didn't start doing daycare until my youngest was in highschool.

mamaof4
03-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Hello! and Welcome!