PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions....

MrsD07
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
HI all! I am hoping it's ok to ask......I would love some menu suggestions! The kids that I have are between the ages of 14 months and 4 years. I am already starting to feel like I am making the same things, each week. I would love to have some suggestions on some faves that your kids enjoy, so I can change things up a little!

TIA!

Dreamalittledream
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Hello Tia! There are some great ideas in the thread "Post your weekly menu.." (Forum 'Daycare Menu'). It's still up under new posts. Always great to get new ideas; I too sometimes feel like it's same old same old;)

Dreamalittledream
03-21-2012, 11:37 AM
I should also add that my kids, no matter what age, love anything that they've helped prep, that they can smear, spread or especially dip!

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
HI all! I am hoping it's ok to ask......I would love some menu suggestions! ...TIA!

Here is a link to the thread Dreamalittledream mentioned

http://www.daycarebear.ca/forum/showthread.php/437-Post-your-weekly-menu

I agree having the kids help to plan, prepare and have some 'control' in their menu definitely helps to increase their appetite and value in meal time!

Momof4
03-21-2012, 04:20 PM
I have pretty picky eaters here and feel like I serve the same thing over weekly but when I try new things they just go in the garbage. So I gave up and just serve them the same things, but mix it up. For lunches I always serve a protein: chicken, beef, pork, ham, cheese or fish; two veggies, a bread item (and there is lots of variety: buns, breads, crackers, muffins, pita, etc) and a fruit item. Within a 5 day week they get enough variety, but maybe I've served broccoli, carrots and potatoes twice in there because they are favourites.

playfelt
03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Sometimes it seems like I am providing the same things over and over but I keep reminding myself that I only serve one meal and the parents serve the other so no matter what there are twice as many options as I was serving and if the parents are serving the same macncheese and chicken nuggets cause that is what the child will eat it really isn't my problem to change the balance. Add in what they get for snack and as long as the food groups are met, what food was served is less important - the body will take the nutrients from the food even if the same one is served every day.

Spixie33
03-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I pretty much serve the same things all the time and just keep rotating them. There doesn't seem to be much use introducing new stuff because the kids usually don't want to try new stuff.
I seem to rotate through homemade lasagna, rice and chicken with veg, rice and goulash and vegs, spaghetti, chicken noodle soup. Once every 8 weeks I might do grilled cheese using real cheese to melt.
I usually tell parents upfront in the interview that we stick to the foods that the kids are familiar with and rotate them over and over. I have tried wraps, perogies, curries, pizzas etc and it goes nowhere other than the garbage can. I know what I am feeding is homecooked, healthy and the kids will eat it

Mamma_Mia
03-22-2012, 02:32 PM
HI all! I am hoping it's ok to ask......I would love some menu suggestions! The kids that I have are between the ages of 14 months and 4 years. I am already starting to feel like I am making the same things, each week. I would love to have some suggestions on some faves that your kids enjoy, so I can change things up a little!

TIA!

:laugh: sorry but I find this funny....

TIA = Thanks In Advance :p

mom-in-alberta
03-23-2012, 02:34 AM
:laugh: sorry but I find this funny....

TIA = Thanks In Advance :p

LoL... I was going to say something, but couldn't figure out how to word it without coming off a bit snotty. Thanks for phrasing it for me!
:)
PS- I also have learned that if I rotate the same basic foods within the span of a couple weeks.... the only one that notices/cares- is ME! I stick with basic, wholesome, kid-friendly food. And maybe once a week or so throw in something really "unknown". I cannot stand to see food go to waste, either. As Playfelt mentioned, most of us only have these kids for one main meal daily.

Momof4
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I agree with Playfelt also because I know that at least 3 of the children out of 5 in my daycare are getting all of their nutritious food here. I serve breakfast to 2 of the children, but a huge lunch and a good sized afternoon snack with all the food groups involved and I know the parents really appreciate all that I do. I've stopped worrying about trying to get them to eat different foods as the years have gone by and have concentrated more on making sure I serve food that they will eat. I still give them enough variety even though it seems a bit repetitive to me, but at least I don't serve any hot dogs or kraft dinner and the pizza and chicken strips, etc. I serve are all made by ME, not prepackaged with tons of sodium and preservatives.

I don't even make up a menu. None of the parents have asked me for a menu because these little people are obviously strong and healthy and well-fed. They can tell by those prominent little bellies when they pick up their babies!