PDA

View Full Version : Do you have anything in your contract/policies regarding...

fruitloop
03-21-2012, 03:40 PM
...anything about bumps and bruises? There seems to be more and more issues with this popping up from providers lately about parents freaking out because their child has come home with a bruise/scrape/bump/etc. and I'm wondering if some of you have anything in your contract/policies about this. I'd like to add something addressing this in mine, but I'm a little unsure of how to go about this and wording. From my recent experience, it is now something that HAS to be addressed with parents unfortunately because there seems to be more and more helicopter parents out there who have unrealistic expectations/views about daycare (and children in general sometimes) and their child possibly getting hurt either on their own accord (new walkers who fall because of still being unsteady on their feet) or with the involvement of another child (whether it be an accident or not.) So, what do you have in your policies that addresses this...and do you mind sharing it and how you bring this up with families.

Momof4
03-21-2012, 03:51 PM
I've never considered that before. I have clauses about behaviour issues like biting but I never really thought about what I would say to the parents of a child who was bitten. Whenever I've had a child with scraped knees or hands or a bruise I just tell the parents at the end of the day exactly how it happened and they usually just wave it off as normal.

Hmmmmm, something to think about. It strikes me that this is a trust issue. If the daycare parents trust you completly as mine do, then there shouldn't be an issue. But there are all kinds of people that we have to deal with over our careers aren't there?

jec
03-21-2012, 03:54 PM
I have a boo boo log that I record any incidents. Any time something breaks the skin, I call the parents but bumps and bruises are part of being a kid and will let the parents know at pick up if something happened when they fell and a bruise might happen.
I have parents who have called asking me if something happened as they see something. I don't take it personally- either their little one had a clumsy day or I don't know how it got there.
You can't record every bump and bruise they get but I do my best. Once I have filled it out, I will email to the parents for them to have.
Nothing in my contract but boo boo log is in my package that I give to parents when they come for an interview.

Momof4
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Booboo log!:laugh::thumbsup :Too funny!

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a consent form that covers 'first aid'

First Aid & Topical Ointment Consent

Young children are active and as a result bumps, bruises and scraps are a normal part of childhood as children learn how to take risks safely and master their environment - sometimes children do not even let us know they are 'bruised' and just get up and go again after a little TLC to sooth their egos however other times first aid will be required.

When first aid is visible required and access to warm running water and soap is available all minor first aid needs shall be treated with running water and soap.

Topical ointments will be available in the first aid kit and applied only in the best interest of the child and only if required for treatment of minor first aid of cuts and scraps, etc. while away from the program. All accidents requiring formal first aid will be reported in writing, reviewed and signed by parents upon arrival in the evening and kept on file. In the event that a child requires more then minor first aid the parent will be called immediately to discuss action to be taken.

I authorize the application of first aid both onsite and offsite and the use of any topical ointments (Including but not limited to soap or cleanser, After-Bite, Baking Soda, Ozonol, etc.) to my child by the provider if off site.

 Yes I agree  No only treat first aid with soap & water only

I also verbally discuss with them that 'sometimes a child will fall and seem fine and a bruise might appear later - if you find a bump or bruise that I did not have an accident report filled out for please just let me know it could be an incident of the child toppling but getting right up again and not appearing injured or distressed so it slipped my mind as needing to be passed on.

But seriously as long as the bruises are in the NORMAL areas for trips and falls for children learning to walk, climb, run and so forth clients have to accept that a certain % of these are normal!

jec
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Booboo log!:laugh::thumbsup :Too funny!
I thought the title fit :laugh:

fruitloop
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
I've never considered that before. I have clauses about behaviour issues like biting but I never really thought about what I would say to the parents of a child who was bitten. Whenever I've had a child with scraped knees or hands or a bruise I just tell the parents at the end of the day exactly how it happened and they usually just wave it off as normal.

Hmmmmm, something to think about. It strikes me that this is a trust issue. If the daycare parents trust you completly as mine do, then there shouldn't be an issue. But there are all kinds of people that we have to deal with over our careers aren't there?

I've normally just told parents about it before too and like you, they just wave it off as normal behavior and say "it's to be expected, kids fall" but it only takes 1 parent to make you change your policies to cover your butt even more than you've tried to cover it before right. Some people have unrealistic expectations of group care and expect their child to never (or very rarely) have injuries. Kids need to explore and learn to do things and sometimes they fall while they're doing that. It obviously was a trust issue (and I should of known that at the interview when she started crying because she had to go back to work and had to trust someone with her child) and this was a new issue for me since I've never had any issues like ever.

Reggio, that is a great consent form!

Inspired by Reggio
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
....Reggio, that is a great consent form!

Ya I am one of those 'anal people' who has a policy and form for every possible 'issue' that might arise to cover my ass - worked to long in centre care and thought I had saw and heard it all but sadly 20 years and counting and I am still shocked by some clients expectations and thoughts of what childcare service should offer them or better yet what their fees 'entitle' them to ;)

fruitloop
03-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm the SAME way! My policy/contract (aka "package") that parents go home with is almost 20 pages long. I have my ass covered for every possible thing I could thik of...but apparently I missed 1 :rolleyes: Would you mind if I used part of that to add to my contract? You wording is fantastic!

mom-in-alberta
03-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Ooh, Reggio... may I snag the wording as well?
I have a basic form for any "notable" occasions. If there is a visible injury or the child was very distraught, it details the date, the time, the party/parties involved and a description of the events. There is a spot for "further action to be taken" as well. I sign, the parent signs, and it gets kept in the child's file.

Cadillac
03-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Been amending my contract . . . . I should add this too. sigh . . . . .

My parents wave everything off too. They also tend to come with bruises a lot of the time that parents are explaining to me.

I think I'll also be giving parents the choice of what type of first aid they want on their child.

fruitloop
03-22-2012, 07:14 AM
You know, I never would of thought I would have to screen and have this conversation with parents about the possibility that their child may come home with a bump or scratch. I assumed it was a given that kids fall and sometimes get hurt or accidents happen in group care...but you know what they say when you assume something right?, lol. So, now I will be screening for this and parents will now have yet another form they have to sign...sigh. It only takes 1 to ruin it for the rest.

jec
03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Reggo...you've started something here! I have my boo boo log but would love to add a form, I have one for just about everything ...except for first aid!
I won't use your wording but would you mind if I borrowed your great idea!

lunademiel
03-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Here is what it is stated in my policy manual:

First Aid:
I hold current first aid certificates, and are ready to perform care when necessary. A complete first aid kit is available at all times, including on field trips etc. The children’s emergency info/consent cards are kept in the first aid kit at all times, as well I usually carry our cell phone with us on outings for use in the event of an emergency. In the event a child needs emergency medical attention an ambulance will be called, and then the parents - to allow them to meet the child at the hospital as soon as possible. Any serious incidents will be reported by filing a serious incident report immediately.

Injuries:
I will supervise your child closely in an attempt to prevent injuries, but accidents resulting in injury do occur. I have been trained in first aid and CPR and will follow my training. If the injury is minor (requiring only a band-aid or ice) I will tell you about it when you pick up your child. If it is serious, I will call you and may even suggest that you take your child to the doctor or emergency room. If an injury is very severe, I will call 911 for assistance before I call you. If I can not reach you, I will call the emergency contacts listed on your “Child Information Record” (Please remember to keep this card up-to-date).

Sandbox Sally
03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
This thread is timely...

I received a text two nights ago (at 7:30 pm) from a mother, "What happened to D's leg???" I said I didn't see anything happen to her, nor did she cry that I recall and asked why. She said that there was a huge cut on her thigh. I said I didn't know, and asked how bad it was. Mom didn't reply to my text for an hour. I was sweating bullets. I had changed her diaper about 45 minutes before she was picked up, and was by her side all day long. Nothing happened. Her mom made a big deal about it. I saw it the next day and it was a very minor scrape. I still don't know how it happened, but I am 99.99% sure it didn't happen on my watch. Her mother didn't notice until almost three hours after pickup, so I'm pretty sure the scrape wasn't bothering D either. Sigh. I felt like a child abuser. I was seriously sick to my stomach.

I am going to add to my contract too. You can never be too careful. I am learning all the time how important it is to select the right families for my home daycare. I don't care if I am without income in the future - the stress of dealing with the parents of these delicate little snowflakes is about ready to drive me up a wall. Sorry to thread hijack.

sunnydays
03-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I had something like this happen recently too although the parents were really great about it. They found a huge bruise across their child's bottom and I had no idea how he had gotten it! I felt terrible! I still don't know if he got it here or at home, but it made me feel really worried that they would think I had done something. Not a nice feeling. I think I'll add to my contract as well.

This thread is timely...

I received a text two nights ago (at 7:30 pm) from a mother, "What happened to D's leg???" I said I didn't see anything happen to her, nor did she cry that I recall and asked why. She said that there was a huge cut on her thigh. I said I didn't know, and asked how bad it was. Mom didn't reply to my text for an hour. I was sweating bullets. I had changed her diaper about 45 minutes before she was picked up, and was by her side all day long. Nothing happened. Her mom made a big deal about it. I saw it the next day and it was a very minor scrape. I still don't know how it happened, but I am 99.99% sure it didn't happen on my watch. Her mother didn't notice until almost three hours after pickup, so I'm pretty sure the scrape wasn't bothering D either. Sigh. I felt like a child abuser. I was seriously sick to my stomach.

I am going to add to my contract too. You can never be too careful. I am learning all the time how important it is to select the right families for my home daycare. I don't care if I am without income in the future - the stress of dealing with the parents of these delicate little snowflakes is about ready to drive me up a wall. Sorry to thread hijack.

fruitloop
03-22-2012, 12:29 PM

That's just it, the stress is just not worth it. Not only are you constantly worried that the child might hurt themselves, you are then following them around to make sure they DON;T hurt themselves and this takes time away from the other kids. All my families are great, they all get it and know that things happen and trust me 100% but from that 1 family, I am now making everyone sign a form. I will also be screening for helicopter parents...where i never even imagined i would have to before. All my families laugh about it and roll their eyes with what happened but it still sucks to have to talk about it now with future families.

jec
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
If I can not reach you, I will call the emergency contacts listed on your “Child Information Record” (Please remember to keep this card up-to-date).

I send out an email to my daycare parents every 6 months to see if any contact info has changed. Some times things change and with busy schedules, parents might forget to inform us.
For me, it just takes a few minutes to send out an email that I have marked as a reminder for me when the date comes up, that if there ever is an emergency I won't be scrambling.

lunademiel
03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Thank you! That's an excellent idea!

fruitloop
03-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Well I used your consent form Reggio (hope you don't mind) but changed/added somethings, took some things out that I didn't want/need and made it my own but with your general idea. You didn't get back to anyone as to whether or not it was ok so used yours as a guide...I hope it's ok and changed enough that it's not considered copying it completely :(;) This is how mine reads...

Young children are active, great explorers and sometimes in a hurry to get to where they are going. As a result bumps, bruises and scrapes are a normal part of childhood as children learn how to take risks safely and master their environment. Sometimes children do not let us know they are 'bruised' and just get up and go again after a little TLC to sooth their egos. However, other times first aid will be required.

When first aid is visibly required and access to warm running water and soap is available, minor first aid needs shall be treated with running water and soap.

Topical ointments will be available in the first aid kit and may be applied in the best interest of the child if required for treatment of minor cuts and scrapes, etc. All accidents requiring formal first aid will be reported in writing, reviewed and signed by parents upon arrival in the evening and kept on file. In the event that a child requires more than minor first aid the parent will be called immediately to discuss action to be taken.

I, ____________________ ___________________, authorize the application of first aid both onsite and offsite and the use of any topical ointments (Including but not limited to soap or cleanser, After-Bite, Baking Soda, Polysporin, etc.) to my child, ____________________ _____, when needed by my child care provider, J.

_____Yes I agree ____ No only treat first aid with soap & water.

____________________ ____________________ ______________
(signature of parent/guardian/authorized adult)

____________________ ____________________ ______________
(signature of caregiver)

When I'm going through my package with families, this form will help me be able to bring up how important it is for children to be able to be free to explore and grow WITH the possible risk of a bump or 2 on the way. To re-assure parents that this is to be expected and a natural, normal thing for children.

Momof4
03-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I update my medical forms annually when I renew my contract. I may add a clause to my contract but it's going to be simple (like the rest of my contract) and it's simply going to be a few sentences that state that the utmost care and attention will be given to each child every day and an email or phone call will be made to the parents if any small injury occurs. But I don't have any forms or paperwork with the parents except for my daily log book which is just for me, not for the parents. I give them a verbal update daily, including if their child fell down outside, etc. I still stand by what I said on page 1 of this thread. The parents trust me completely to care for their children every day and this is just included in all of that trust.

mom-in-alberta
03-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Momof4, I know that the parents trust me. I do. BUT.... as someone said, it only takes ONE TIME.
How very sad that we have to worry about this. :(

Inspired by Reggio
03-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Oh I agree having a client who comes in all upset about finding a mark on their child that they were not told about is totally a trust issue ... however I find having those discussions right off the bat while going over your policies helps to BUILD trust to avoid having that happen so you can say right in the registration process 'I will do my best to tell you everyday if little X gets a boo boo however realistically there will be bumps and bruises that may appear over something that in the scope of the day was MINOR incident that will slip my mind - if you notice something I have not talked to you about just let me know more likely than not it was just a 'topple and get right back up' incident that I did not think worthy of recording at the time.

My Boo Boo report is more for when a serious incident occurs in the program - like a child was bitten or intentionally hurt by another child's aggressive behaviour were i want a formal written record of the 'damage' the offending child is creating in the program for termination process OR where an accident occurred that resulted in injury that the child might need to go to the Dr for follow up - I can count the number of reports I have done up on one hand ... most of them were from one child who had balance issues combined with continually being sent in inappropriate hand me down shoes which I kept recording on the report as an action plan ... fell out of shoes and tripped hit head on climber - strongly encourage proper fitting shoes to help avoid a repeat incident in the future ... it too three seriously bumps the last one where I MADE them take the kid to the Dr to check for concussion cause she had hit her head so hard for them to finally get her proper shoes :rolleyes:

Momof4
03-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Momof4, I know that the parents trust me. I do. BUT.... as someone said, it only takes ONE TIME.
How very sad that we have to worry about this. :(
Well, I guess I will wait until I have that difficult client in my care, because I'm so very lucky right now to have 5 clients who trust me. It's really sad that people will leave their most precious little child with someone and question their daily routines and care. That doesn't even make sense to me. I left my children with 'babysitters' back in the day and as soon as I figured out there was a problem I moved them. Now we have such in depth inverviews and such high standards for who is caring for our children and these parents interview so many of us before making their final choice. Sorry, I'm rambling, my mind is BOGGLED!