PDA

View Full Version : Personal adjustment to working at home

Dreamalittledream
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
I've now been working as a Daycare providor for just under 8 months now and am really suprised at the personal adjustment I've had to undertake from a very social 20+year career outside the home. I have no regrets at all with my decision to stay home with my kids and have far less stress in my life (well, except for the added stress less income brings). But, I'm now struggling with the fact that even beyond daycare hours when my husband is happy to push me out the door (haha) I'm tired and have no desire to go out and socialize. I'm becoming a hermit;). Anyone else experience this?

Play and Learn
03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Me! I work from 7:30-5 during the day, and then 3 nights a week I teach dance from 6-9 and on Saturdays I teach from 9-11 a.m.!

I have no social life left, but am happy to be home. Hubby pushes me out every once in awhile too! lol :laugh:

sunnydays
03-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I feel the same. Not much time for social life. That's why I love to take the kids on outings to the parks and playgroups to at least get to talk to other daycare providers. I am a homebody, so it's working out for me, but I do need some socializing!

Inspired by Reggio
03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh I suffered from this initially and feeling very isolated but than I found the forums for my "break time conversations" and took up a hobby with adults that has nothing to do with kiddies to get me out of the house at night and yup sometimes I am tired and it would be easy to say I'm just going to stay home but once I push myself to go I have a great time and feel more energized having had some fun me time doing something I love!

Other Mummy
03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Yup. That's me. Hermit. But not by choice :( My day, like all of yours, begins really, really early. And after all the kids leave by 5:30.. Clean up time/dinner/homework/baths) I'm done by 8:00pm And to think ....back in the day I'd be gettup UP at 8:00 pm from a nap to start the evening..but I was in my 20's and single LOL!

This is why I love spring. Being outdoors and going for 2 hr outings at the park. Meeting other daycare providers and caregivers alike has been wonderful. I hated the winter being cooped up with 7 toddlers/infants. The worst of the bunch were my own two girls!

jodaycare
03-23-2012, 01:09 PM
I am exactly that way. Hubby gets annoyed when I don't want to go anywhere at the end of my day.

Sandbox Sally
03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
I am completely, utterly and totally knackered by 5:30 pm. I stumble through dinner, homework and bedtime with my own kids (they're older, so thankfully quite self sufficient with these things), and I can not for the life of me imagine going anywhere on a week night for any reason.

The weekends, though....that's another story. I am still 25 at heart. :p

jec
03-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Over here too! Not by choice either as my day starts early and pick up at 5:30, dinner/clean up and vacume and mop floors, bath and get my little ones into bed and get clothes/lunches ready for next day and I don't even make it to the gym. I also moved to a new city and don't know anyone....and weight :blink: gained way to much of that since I've become a daycare provider. It really is an adjustment and you ladies do help!! Although I've never met any in person, it's great to have this connection.
My weekends are busy though and love being able to sleep in and get out!!

WOW ~ that post was just screaming to get out :laugh:

Sandbox Sally
03-23-2012, 02:21 PM
jec if you're in Toronto, I'll hang w you!! :)

jec
03-23-2012, 02:57 PM

If I lived closer I'd take you up on a coffee ...or better yet a glass of wine!! :thumbsup:
I'm not in TO ~ Peterborough. I call it fondly The Patch!

Momof4
03-23-2012, 08:58 PM
I worked outside my home all my life. In my last job in a large corporation I absolutely hated most of the women in my department and was so very happy to find a job that I could do in my home. I basically hate people now after working with life insurance agents for a decade at my secretarial job, then with backstabbing women with a woman boss for another decade. It's terrible how women will walk over other women instead of supporting them, but it happens everywhere in the business world.

But not with us! We are self-employed business women who know the value of the support and advice of our peers who can help us through difficult situations.

That being said, yes, I could definitely be a hermit in the woods without human contact, but I would want internet service! And I would definitely want my children and grandchildren to visit, but nobody else.

jec
03-24-2012, 07:55 AM
It's terrible how women will walk over other women instead of supporting them, but it happens everywhere in the business world.

But not with us! We are self-employed business women who know the value of the support and advice of our peers who can help us through difficult situations.

That is what I found. My old office was full of back stabbing for sales/profits and grown women would have melt downs and fits :eek:
I'll take a toddler melt down (even the little one who I'm dealing with now) over any office melt down any day!! Adults should know better but they still do it ;)

Mamma_Mia
03-24-2012, 10:22 AM
JEC you just said my most used saying!

"I'd rather be with crying kids all day than b!tchy coworkers....the kids don't know any better" (yet) lol ;)

Other Mummy
03-24-2012, 12:33 PM
This is so TRUE!!! Women co-workers are the worst. I'd rather deal with toddlers all day long as well. Even when you redirect them, take them away from the group, or take a toy away for naughty behaviour...they still love you 5 min later :) the same cannot be said for above mentioned co-workers LOL!

Skysue
03-25-2012, 09:22 AM
I hear you! Thats why I have decided to hire out an assistant for a few hours a week. I'm going to start with 3 hours mid week that way I can do a deep clean up stairs and get it out of the way for the weekends!

Anyone every hire out someone?

Sue

Dreamalittledream
03-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Wow thanks everyone for sharing on this. I don't feel so alone:)

Mamma_Mia
03-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I have to admit, I love the working for myself and not dealing with "corporate rules" that apply to some and not others etc. BUT I'm not a homebody...I like going out!
My husband does have a physical job and when he gets home he's pretty tired but he's also a tad-lazy :laugh: I want to go to the park or swim at the rec center, or on weekend to do something like bowling, pool, movies etc.

((sigh)) I hate staying home!!

Momof4
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I started out being completely exhausted at the end of the day too. But I organized myself better and learned how to prepare the food and crafts for the next day quickly and especially to cut down on the crafts every week as I went along so that evenings are not nonstop work.

I have the children help me with cleanup before they leave for the day. I will even run the vacuum in the toyroom quickly as soon as I sit the children all in the next room to start a meal (they are in my line of sight). While the children freeplay in the room I have grabbed my swiffer and done the dusting. However, I always have 2 sinks full of dishes at the end of the day (no dishwasher) and laundry, sweeping, etc. I'm a cleanfreak.

But after the first couple of years as I organized myself I started having the energy for evening activities, so don't beat yourself up if you are new at this. There is definitely a learning curve to our job. Now I'm out several nights a week. However, my children are grown and you still have small children so that will hold you back.

mamaof4
03-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I find if I am active during the day- walking- outside etc I am much more energetic than if I am lazy, so odd.

Cadillac
03-26-2012, 06:03 PM
I force myself out. I have a date with my mother once a week and go out with a friend one during the weekdays. One the weekend I don't dare let myself stop for fear that I won't get up.

Everyday I'm supposed to go out during the week I regret making plans and come very close to cancelling (a couple of times I have). Guilt forces me out the door and I couldn't be more grateful for it.

I need to get out to be happy. Staying home to work is amazing, but staying home all the time, period, is unhealthy.

You'll get a second wind when summer comes and it'll help you get out and about. Eventually, slowly, and gradually, you will build your endurance (or just get used to being tired).

Cadillac
03-26-2012, 06:08 PM

Can I come? . . . I'm super fun I SWEAR!

Cadillac
03-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Anyone every hire out someone?

Sue

I do, I hired someone so I could get a break and clean and for when I have more than 6 kids. it's very helpful although it is difficult to find someone willing to work only 3 hours a week for you. I ended up with a youth worker student. I've also hired a back up for when she's not available. I was lucky and got a friend who is also a child youth worker and finishing up social work masters. So great when you aren't afraid to walk out of the room because you know everything is 'handled' . . . . .also really nice not to be alone and slow down for a few hours that day.

I really have to start reading the post through before I answer. I think this is my third post in a row . . hehe sorry guys

Sandbox Sally
03-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Caddy, I would LOVE to meet up with you. You're in the east end, yes? I am west - Junction Triangle. We could always meet somewhere in the middle on a lovely sunny day.

mom-in-alberta
03-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Oh, I wish that I had the option of just staying home some nights!!!
I have 2 boys that play hockey, a daughter in dance, and I often assist my husband with his business (which is in finances, and requires him to visit with clients and co-workers at their convenience. IE- evenings and weekends)
Hockey is just winding down right now, and I am stoked! Just in time for lacrosse to start.... :ohmy:
Seriously though, I find that when I am feeling this way; I need to meet up with a mom friend at the park or something, even if it means taking all the dc kids with me. Just getting out and doing SOMETHING helps me feel like I am still a social being!

Cadillac
03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
Caddy, I would LOVE to meet up with you. You're in the east end, yes? I am west - Junction Triangle. We could always meet somewhere in the middle on a lovely sunny day.

You have a car? We should plan a trip to Riverdale farm! Not exactly in the middle but it was an idea.

Lovely sunny days - Remember last week? It was wonderful . . . . . booooooooo to yesterday and today.

Mamma_Mia
03-27-2012, 09:22 AM
You have a car? We should plan a trip to Riverdale farm! Not exactly in the middle but it was an idea.

Lovely sunny days - Remember last week? It was wonderful . . . . . booooooooo to yesterday and today.

We did Riverdale last year and picnic in the park for lunch....they loved it!
Enjoy....Man I need a Van!!

And a better double stroller! :laugh:

treeholm
07-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Hey JEC, I'm in Peterborough too!

jec
07-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Hey JEC, I'm in Peterborough too!

Where are you located? I'm in the East end ~ I love it here!!

treeholm
07-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm in the North end, old Teacher's College Area.

jec
07-17-2012, 01:26 PM
I have someone to pass on your info to ~ can you send me your contact info :thumbsup:

It's for December 2013/January 2014 but who knows! It would be for 2, one of the little ones is currently in my care but they will be leaving for a year on mat leave.
I know we can't really determine if an opening is going to be available that far down the road but it's good to meet with them. I have found that people in this town look while they are pregnant!!

Dreamalittledream
10-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Not sure why you have chosen this very old post in which to advertise your listing? There are better places to advertise.