PDA

View Full Version : Sample Termination Letters

busydaycarelady
03-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Good Afternoon all!

I am going to be needing to write up a termination letter in the next week or so and have not done so before. Just looking for some ideas on how to write it properly and professionally. Do you just basically write, "I hereby give notice of termination of care effective xx date"? Or do you write up a letter with reasons, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Inspired by Reggio
03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
I have thankfully never had to do this since moving into home childcare venue

When I worked in a centre parents always KNEW termination was coming if it got to that point - so it was never a 'surprise' and the details could be kept clear and factual in their letter just for our records. Termination in centre care was either due to their child was a danger to the program and we had already had several meetings prior to try to resolve that, given a deadline to meet 'goals' and if they were not than it was a 'as per our behaviour management contract dated (insert date that contract was made) in regards to little X's goals for improvement needing to be seen by today's date we will no longer be able to provide services effective (insert date) and your security deposit has been applied to your account to cover this notice period.

If we were not giving any NOTICE aka the kids behaviour was THAT BAD we would just refund the deposit and end the termination letter with 'care is terminated effective immediately and your security deposit is enclosed in lieu of the two week notice period.'

Now if it was with regards to PAYMENT they would definitely know it was coming cause who doesn't know their account is in arrears? In which case it would be along the lines of 'Please not that effective today we will no longer be providing childcare services. As per our contract you have not kept up with your financial obligations for care and your account is currently in arrears of X amount. Please note that if your account is not paid in full by X date that we will have no choice but to send your account to collections and if that does not resolve the issue to sue for amount owning in Small Claims court."

Is your client AWARE that you are feeling frustrated enough for termination? Is it a payment issue. a behaviour issue or what is motivating the desire to terminate?

busydaycarelady
03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Inspired By Reggio - their 7 year old has SERIOUS behavior issues - hates all forms of female authority, is malicious towards myself and the other kids, grabs constantly, throws tantrums where she rolls on the ground and kicks and screams, draws on my walls, has smeared feces on the walls, constantly yells at me that she hates me and I am rude(regardless of what we are doing). I've been patient with them and agreed to their disicpline tactics, which haven't worked. I've put up with this for a very long time and nothing ever improves. She gets worse as time goes on. I've told them I need to consider not only my own mental health but that of the other kids here and they say they understand. I've suggested counselling, which they refuse to do because it is expensive and embarassing if their friends find out. So, I'm sure they must see it coming. She has been kicked out of ther dayhomes and I am afraid I may have to do it as well.

Crayola kiddies
03-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Dear x

I am writing this letter to inform you that I will be terminating care for xxxxx due to ongoing behavioural issues, as well as a general air of disrespect shown to myself and my business. The last day available for care is xxxxx.

It's kinda rough and I'm sure others will beable to embellish but it's a start.

Good luck and you'll be glad when it's over.

Momof4
03-23-2012, 08:11 PM
How about: Get out of my house and never come back you crazy people!

Just kidding. I've only terminated twice and it was kind of mutually agreed upon verbally because I reached my limit with the children/parents at the same time they realized I was about to lose my mind! The reason for that is because I'm honest from day one about any issue that arises and if parents are not helping at home and working to improve their child for their child's own benefit then I can't help them. And if the parents are too demanding or have unreasonable expectations of me then it's best they find someone else. Because I give 100% daily and work hard in the evenings to prepare for the next day and if I'm not appreciated by the families I get very frustrated.

I'm not in this business to bang my head against a wall. I'm in this business to nurture and care for the children and families who share my values and morals and childrearing philosophies.

So make sure you don't ever feel guilty when you have to make the difficult decision to terminate. I like Crayola's letter. You are telling the truth, but don't go into great detail and you DO NOT have to explain yourself any further. It's a business decision.

Judy Trickett
03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Mine are short and sweet. I don't think a lengthy explanation is necessary as most parents know why they are being terminated. Most providers typically tell the parents there is a problem and ask to help fix it before they terminate.

Inspired by Reggio
03-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Inspired By Reggio - their 7 year old has SERIOUS behavior issues - hates all forms of female authority, is malicious towards myself and the other kids, grabs constantly, throws tantrums where she rolls on the ground and kicks and screams, draws on my walls, has smeared feces on the walls, constantly yells at me that she hates me and I am rude(regardless of what we are doing). I've been patient with them and agreed to their disicpline tactics, which haven't worked. I've put up with this for a very long time and nothing ever improves. She gets worse as time goes on. I've told them I need to consider not only my own mental health but that of the other kids here and they say they understand. I've suggested counselling, which they refuse to do because it is expensive and embarassing if their friends find out. So, I'm sure they must see it coming. She has been kicked out of ther dayhomes and I am afraid I may have to do it as well.

Oh ya - if they are not willing to get her the help she obviously NEEDS than her needs are more than a 'dayhome' can provide I would terminate as well and say just that ... 'Dear X After careful consideration and reflection it has become evident that Busydaycarelady childcare is not be best match for X's needs. As a result our childcare arrangement will be coming to an end effective X date. Sincerely you"

busydaycarelady
03-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all the great help!

Here's what I've come up with:

Dear XXXX and XXXX,

After careful consideration and reflection, it has become evident that XXXXXXXXX Dayhome is no longer a good match for XXXX's needs. Due to XXXX's ongoing behavioral and attitude issues, I will no longer be able to provide childcare for her effective XXXX. In addition to these behavioral issues, I find XXXX has a complete lack of respect for myself, my rules, the other children in my care and my facility. I also find that my illness policy has not always been fully respected, which has contributed to making caring for XXXX very difficult at times.

I wish XXXX the very best in the future.

Sincerely,

Me

Sound alright?

Sandbox Sally
03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Hmm, just my opinion, but I think it's a little unnecessarily harsh. I would totally take out the "lack of respect...and my facility" bit. I think that a simple "after careful...effective XXXX" and leave it at that.

I also wouldn't bother with the illness policy thing. For what, you know? I am sure they're aware that their kid is a mess, and are going to get pretty frustrated that their care arrangements have yet again been terminated. Why rub salt in the wounds?

Momof4
03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
I think it's good and perhaps these parents will receive a wakeup call that they need to improve their child's behaviour. Especially if they receive the same opinions from the next daycare provider or the next school teacher. Don't these people want to raise polite children who respect others?

As long as this family won't be able to smear your good name or reputation you may as well be honest. But as Alpha said, you may want to be really careful about your wording.

Inspired by Reggio
03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Personally while I get the desire to 'educate' them as to the WHY cause if gives you vindication and justification and well closure IME it generally leads to a nasty escalated conflict over the termination as the client already feels stressed having been 'terminated' to have all the reasons lined up in writing just adds insult to that injury and makes them want to be defensive back and than this back and forth of you do this and that occurs.

If you are giving notice where you have to SEE these people day in and day out I would keep it short and sweet ... bottom line they are no longer a match for the program and that final decision is YOURS to make you want them to leave as quickly and peacefully from your program as possible .... they are no longer your problem to FIX so do not even try - their role is to reflect on issues that have arisen during your relations and figure out why this happened to them and hopefully learn and be more respectful in the future relationships they have ;)

Shanka
03-29-2012, 08:15 PM
This is a very helpful topic. Sadly, I am going to have to give out my first termination notice as well. I am just finding this particular family very draining and stressful. (CAS issues, custody issues, etc)

I hope everything goes well for you.

mom-in-alberta
03-30-2012, 03:42 AM
I Don't know that I would be "detailing" the reasons either, to be honest. Chances are, since you have said that you tried to fix this previously, they know exactly why you are terminating.
I would say that you no longer consider this the best care arrangement for their child and effective such and such date, care will cease.
Good luck!!!! :(

Bambini
06-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me, I gave my termination letter to the parents last week, the child has not been in my care for a whole month, so I gave them a week to find another place. I guess this is my fault, but she still hasnt paid me. Termination was yesterday the last thing she had told me was that her son was sick, so i havent seen them since last wednesday. I sent her an e mail this morning, but i have a feeling i wont get paid. Can i take them to small claims?
Or does anyone have any Suggestions?

Thanks

Inspired by Reggio
06-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Oh Bambini ~ that sucks for sure ... not sure the reason behind your termination but my guess is that trying to go after them 'after the fact' for fees might be challenging and the 'circumstances' behind the termination might depend on if going to small claims court is worth it ... if you terminated over a 'conflict' and the client did not send their child for the notice period you gave them because they were 'concerned' over the reason given them and no service was 'provided' as a result it might be hard to get a judge to choose to make them pay you ... this is why it is always best to get paid in advance of care and to keep a security deposit because than if things go 'bad' the control is YOURS if you want to be just 'done' you can refund their deposit in lieu of notice but the ball is in YOUR court if you want to forgo the income!

Mamma_Mia
06-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the great help!

Here's what I've come up with:

Dear XXXX and XXXX,

After careful consideration and reflection, it has become evident that XXXXXXXXX Dayhome is no longer a good match for XXXX's needs. Due to XXXX's ongoing behavioral issues, I will no longer be able to provide childcare for her effective XXXX.

I wish XXXX the very best in the future.

Sincerely,

Me

Sound alright?

I made some changes...I like to keep it short and to the point. I put myself in their shoes, they don't want to know why honestly. They'll will focus on the fact that they have to go....so keep it like that. Good Luck

Momof4
07-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Bambini, did you have a deposit? My contract asks for the last week's payment to be made as the initial deposit.