PDA

View Full Version : Daycare organization

Littledragon
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
I had completely overlooked this part. How do you handle it?

How do you organize everything? I asked asked that parents bring a "supply" bag their first day - change of clothes, diapers, formula and so on...How do you organize this when you have multiple children and do that it's easily reachable when they need a diapers change? I can't imagine just having multiple bags of diapers lying around...that would get hectic and confusing...

What do YOU do?

Play and Learn
03-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I bought a second hand change table with shelves. Then went to IKEA (or go to Dollarama) and buy 6 bins to fit in it. Write each childs name on each bin. Their diapers, change of clothes and any extras go in the bins. Beside the change table is a dresser, where I keep their wipes in the hard plastic bins (which parents provide), and write their names on each individual one.

When supplies get low, I just text message the parent (or tell them at pick-up).

For the front door, I have an IKEA sweater organizer (I had it in university, never thought I'd use it again!). Each child has their own 'pod' with their name on it to put sweaters, mitts, hats, etc. Each child has 1 hangar in the closest. In this pod, if we did art activities, it's where I put them for parents to take. If parents don't take them by the end of the week, I throw it out. It keeps things nice and clean!

Hopefully that helps!

Inspired by Reggio
03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
My spouse built me cubbies in my foyer - each child has a label cubbie with a hook for their coat / snowsuit and a tray at the bottom for shoes / boots and shelf for hats / mitts / creative art

Similar to something like this but not nearly as 'fancy' ... no 'drawer' and no molding or anything and while I asked for the shelve up top as well for the baskets he did not do that part either so initially I had baskets on top of the cupboard but they ended up looking cluttered so I got rid of them and made that a 'display' for art work and one basket with a lid for sunscreens and other things.

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/storage/mudroom/mudroom-decorating/#page=13

Instead of the baskets in my foyer hall closet I also bought one of those 'sweater holder organizers' it had 6 cubes for any 'overflow' of the cubbies - so each cube is for one kid and holds their diapers, wipes and extra clothes generally end up in there cause in the winter the 'bags' got to be too much with the snowsuits in the cubbies.

I also keep a stash of diapers and wipes in a ziplock bag for each kid needing them in the playroom in a container and refill as used so I do not always have to run to the foyer to change.

Being organized and avoiding the 'daycare clutter' is definitely key to ones sanity ... aside from the cubbies which have that 'daycare feel' unless you had multiple children .... I like my home to be able to revert to being a HOME on the weekend so like everything daycare related to be hidden in cupboards, behind doors and so forth.

Inspired by Reggio
03-26-2012, 02:39 PM
The change table is a great idea if you have room - I cannot 'lift' kids so choose to lay them down on the floor to change them where ever we 'are' as a group at the time.

I also know people who bought one of those 6 drawer plastic storage things and use these for diapers / extra clothes and it 'hides' in their closet.

Play and Learn
03-26-2012, 02:46 PM
Being organized and avoiding the 'daycare clutter' is definitely key to ones sanity .... I like my home to be able to revert to being a HOME on the weekend so like everything daycare related to be hidden in cupboards, behind doors and so forth.

So true Reggio!

And as for the change table, I'm not allowed to bend over them while being on the floor like that or my back will go out again!!!!

I did the 6 drawer plastic storage for overload when I worked in one center - it became more of a pain in the ass than anything!

playfelt
03-26-2012, 02:57 PM
For storage I have a two door utility cupboard I got at home depot actually. I got bins from the dollar store and each child has one for storing clothes etc. I like that the doors close. I have hooks over them and two pocket things that hand down they put their indoor shoes in - just a lot easier than in the bins at night in case I have two families arriving at the same time.

My change table is actually an old desk. I got a piece of foam and covered it in plastic to fit the top, then I cover that with a small quilt. There are no drawers but a shelf under where they put their shoes during naptime. I have one of those 5 drawer towers beside the change desk for their diapers. In the small bathroom that is right near there (my change space is between the bathroom, laundry room so perfect. I just open the laundry room and toss diapers in the garbage. Over the toilet I put narrow shelves and have square 4L icecream pails for changing. Each child has their change mat, diaper creame and one diaper in there. I supply wipes and just use one container. What is ideal is if we are down in the playroom I can just run up, grab the bin for that child and take it down since there is a diaper in there that never gets used other than for that purpose.

IKEA has lots of storage ideas. For at the front door many use a bench that has a shelf underneath for bins.

Momof4
03-26-2012, 03:48 PM
I started out with those plastic 3 drawer cabinets so that I had a space for each child's diapers and other belongings, but now I have one of the 6 foot tall cabinets like playfelt which has wood grain and 5 shelves and looks a lot nicer in my room.

I have parents bring a backpack daily with extra clothes in it depending on the seasons and bottles or other baby things when they are young. I don't have cubbies but I have hooks on the entrance way hall. My Mom made drawstring bags and extra sunhat/sunglasses or mitts/hats are left here all season long so we can always go outside. I also insist that extra snowpants be left here all winter and splashpants are here all year round. This way we are ready for any weather.

I've reorganized my daycare over and over as I learned what worked better depending on the age groups of the children. You'll figure it out.

Sandbox Sally
03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
No change table here, either. I don't get the point of them. I change the babies on the floor with a folding little mat (they each have their own). I have a four pronged coathook at the door for their coats and sweaters, and I have an armoire on the main floor, where my daycare is. This houses all the supplies - diapers, wipes, sunscreen, extra clothing etc. I have a large wicker basket that I keep in the living room, and I line up four rows of diapers, one for each child. I buy the wipes in bulk, as I find it less confusing. It's not an elaborate set up whatsoever, but it certainly does work. I feel organized, and nothing looks messy.

Mind you, I would LOVE to have one of those mudroom organizers that Reggio posted. I just don't have the room. Big city means small house, as we are not rich. ;)