PDA

View Full Version : Pool time

bluesgirl17
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Do you have a pool for the children? for example even just one of those Intel ones?
do you consider this an insurance risk being I have no babies. ages 4-7 and are not allowed in yard ever without me

agesandstagesdaycare
03-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't risk it. I live in Ontario and there was a terrible instance with a home daycare child and a pool in this province. Because of that, I don't know any parents who would be willing to send their children to a home daycare with a pool. As a parent I wouldn't either.

Hope this helps..

Emilys4Guppies
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
No pools here. I wouldn't even consider it for my home, or if I were to send my child to a dayhome. My insurance will not cover my business if I have a pool.

bluesgirl17
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I know all about that instance. That was truly an accident waiting to happen for sure. I don't mean an above ground pool or an inground I mean those pools which are like 20 inches deep.

jennipooh
03-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi there,

I am opening a Daycare in the near future ( once our adoption is finalized ). I have a large inground pool in our backyard, but it is completely fenced. When I take the children outside we don't even go in the locked pool area. There is lots of room in the backyard to play still ( with a swing set, sand box etc). Do you think this will pose as an issue?

Play and Learn
03-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Do you think this will pose as an issue?

I wouldn't think of it as an issue, especially if your pool is completely fenced off - I would lock it too for extra security issues. And if your 'daycare' play area is far enough away from it.

bluesgirl17
03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
talk to your insurance provider. Mine told me since that incident nobody will insure if you have a pool. I didn't think to ask about one of the collapsible ones.

Mommy-Jenn
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I do have a pool I bring out in hot days. It is about 20 inches deep, but I only fill it like maybe 5 inches. This lets the kids cool off but depending on the crew I have I go to homedepot and buy a mist machine. I think they are like 20 bucks and it does the trick.

Emilys4Guppies
03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Oh, we have a 12" kiddie pool...it's hard plastic and we fill/dump it per use so that there is no standing water ever. Water hazards are a huge thing for me and not something I risk.

*for those worried about water waste, we dump onto the garden that would need watering anyway. Sometimes I add dish soap...the kids get clean and any nymphs on the plants get killed.

jennipooh
03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
my insurance before said that as long as i have 5 or less children that I am covered. Do you need extra insurance on top of that?
I am not registered and will only have 3-4 children.

The pool was here when we bought the house, but the children will have absolutely NO ACCESS to the pool.

When parents come they will see that when we go in the back yard we don't even walk near the pool.
Would this be a concern to you as a parent looking for daycare??

giraffe
03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I dont do pools, we only use sprinklers and water tables.

@jennipooh... even if it is well fenced off some parents may still be conserned about the pool. I would invest in some keyed locks for all gates to help reasure them.

vrvasile
03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
my child loves to swin. or what you can tell at a 6 years old boy that loves water.

Tot-Time
03-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I have recently been conduction interviews to fill a space and I can tell you the pool issue is definitely there. That is now one of the first questions a potential family will ask me!

I don't have a pool in the back yard, but in the summer we may or may not get out a little kiddie pool that you can fill maybe a few inches, but in general we go to the splash pad or use sprinklers.

The situation that occured here in Ottawa was an accident! I don't know the caregivers personally but have heard from the daycare families that once attended the daycare that the caregiver was a kind, caring, and safe caregiver, they had no hesitations with sending their children to her. The problem was, this particular day the parents didn't know she was having a play date with the caregiver with the pool and the caregiver made the mistake of either a) trusting the children ~ meaning the children were told that only children above such an age could go in the pool and the younger children had to use the kiddie pool or b) the caregiver trusted another caregiver to watch that particular pool while he was elsewhere with the younger children.

I personally have no problem taking my daycare children to a home with a pool or taking my children to a pool. I have strict rules that we must follow and have never had a problem. But I won't take the children to a place with a pool now for my daycare families sanity.

bluesgirl17
03-06-2011, 02:50 PM
My parents all love that I put up this pool in the summer but they also know the children are not allowed in my backyard ever without me and I am in the pool with them every single time. I also do not have toddlers and i would never have one of these pools if I did. i have to talk to my insurance agent and if its a no then it will be either given away or sold whichever i can do lol.

bluesgirl17
03-18-2011, 09:34 PM
I had an email session with my insurance agent today and I am good to have my intel pool up this summer. BUT if hydro prices are as outrageous as last year I think not lol.

FS2011
03-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Im new to daycare but plan on having a Summer filled with water fun! Kiddie pool and sprinkler on days the city will allow.