PDA

View Full Version : How should parents prepare their kids for childcare?

Dayhome Mamma
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
After having read some many of these posts I have decided that it would be smart to just automatically include a sheet that lists how a parent can start to prepare their child for a group setting, for example, teaching them to be patient, that they have to wait to get something, not running to them at every cry, allowing them to try and eat more independently etc.....What would you list?

Judy Trickett
03-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Hmmmm.....I can sum that up pretty quick:

1. Get them on MY nap schedule
2. Stop picking them up or otherwise responding to "nonsense" or manipulative crying.

If EVERY parent did just those two things above my transitioning days would be wonderful.

Cookie
03-28-2012, 01:19 PM
This was a thread back in October and it was called "Suggestions for parents to help their child transition into group daycare". There were lots of great ideas! I really like the list from mom-in-alberta and have used it often :)

Sunflower
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Yes, everything Judy said .... I personally think it makes life easier if parents have already introduced a wide variety of foods to their little ones as I don't introduce new foods here. (Fish,eggs,soy etc)

Momof4
03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Judy nailed it! The parents should make sure they know the schedule and have their child on the same basic routine for meals and naps so their bodies are ready for an easy transition there.

And I have had the 'you don't have to pick them up every time they cry' talk many times with parents. Of course when they start with you at daycare you need bonding and transitioning time for a while so there are extra hugs but they have to learn to play independently and with their friends and not to need an adult's attention all the time.

I find anything else can be learned with some time and by having routines in place. You get to know the children very well when they start with you and can work on areas where they may be behind and catch them up depending on their ages.

mom-in-alberta
03-29-2012, 02:29 AM
I give them a one-page handout... "How to Prepare Your Child for Childcare".
Can't find the thread I posted it on, and I am not on my laptop. I will post it for you when I get a chance, though.

mom-in-alberta
03-29-2012, 02:32 AM
Oh; I found the previous post! Each paragraph is supposed to be in point form, making it a little easier to read, but you get the idea....

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR CHILDCARE

Beginning childcare can be both a nerve-wracking and exciting experience, for parent and child. Here are a few tips to make this transition easier on you, your child, and your provider.

Begin adjusting your routine early. Up to a few months before you expect to go back to work, start waking your child each morning at the time you anticipate to be waking up. Have breakfast, get dressed and be `ready for the day`, even if you are staying home. This makes for far less hectic mornings when you do begin dropping your child off at the allotted time. You will also find out whether schedules or routines will need to be adjusted (i.e.; child may require a morning nap again, even if they had given it up).
Discuss the daily schedule with your provider. There may be differences in what you do at home, and what will be occurring during child care. Especially if your child will be attending regular, full-time care, it is usually a good idea to adapt your daily schedule to whatever routine your child can expect while there. Plan snacks, meals and naps based on what your provider has told you. Again, the earlier this is started, the easier it is on everyone. If you have any concerns about meal or nap time, discuss them with your provider, as there is usually a reason (i.e.; school pick-ups that must be done, etc). This is why it is important to find a provider whose daily activities `make sense` for your child.
Prepare your child to be more independent. In a multi-child environment, a provider will find it difficult if your child has not had the opportunity to learn to hold a cup or bottle, self feed (finger foods, introduction of cutlery etc) and soothe themselves at nap time. Begin to allow your child to play `on their own` if they don’t usually. Show them what a particular toy does, and then retreat and watch them play independently for a little while. Try putting your child to sleep for their nap in a playpen in a different room, awake and without toys (it is against regulations in most areas for a provider to give them a stuffy, etc). When snuggling, make sure that you are holding your child, and that THEY are holding the bottle or sippy cup.
Ensure that they are used to being around other children. If your child has not had much exposure to playing with or around other kids, they may find it incredibly overwhelming to suddenly be sharing space with 2, 3 or more unfamiliar faces their own age. Take your child to busy, loud places like indoor playgrounds or enrol in a couple of playgroup sessions.
Give your child `room to grow`. For the last 9 to 12+ months, you have watched your child’s development with wonder and amazement. You have cheered on everything from their first smile, to sitting up, to (perhaps) their first steps and words with enthusiasm, as well you should have. Don’t stop now! Sometimes when a parent returns to work they subconsciously try to keep their babies babies, and a form of regression occurs. At this age level, it seems as though children are trying something new every day. Although it may feel like you are going to miss out on that, rest assured, you will not. Mommies and Daddies still take 1st place in the eyes of a child!
Remember that each child reacts differently to a situation. Some little ones settle in within a few days, while others can take many weeks to become comfortable in a new setting. In general, a child attending care full-time will take less time than one attending part time. A child with siblings or a lot of exposure to other children, or a child who has been cared for by people other than parents, usually has an easier time than one whose experience with socialization is limited to immediate family. Give yourself and your child the necessary time to adjust to this new arrangement and discuss any concerns with your provider.

Sandbox Sally
03-29-2012, 12:00 PM
awesome...where is this from, besides the thread? Is it from somebody's website, or is it from someone on these boards? I would love to use it in my contract, but would like to give credit where credit is due.

Crayola kiddies
03-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I believe it's mom in albertas creation

Momof4
03-29-2012, 04:00 PM
That's an awesome, informative little handout to give to new parents!

Dayhome Mamma
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks so much mom in alberta!

jec
03-30-2012, 03:14 AM
mom-in-alberta
this is great!!! I won't take word for word...do you mind sharing? I too would like to give props and put your name and daycare name on it if your OK if I include in a hand out? Either way, I understand as we all put a lot of effort into these details.

mom-in-alberta
03-30-2012, 03:35 AM
I put it together after transitioning 3 one year olds and a one and a half year old who were all INSANELY coddled. Feel free to use, modify or ignore! LoL
Now, as to whether the parents read (and comply)..... that remains to be seen. At least we can say we tried!

Inspired by Reggio
03-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Lots of great advice ... I agree that the best thing parents can do for babes entering the world of daycare is to help them learn to accept 'delayed gratification' aka as cute as you are the world does not come to a stop the minute you have a need sometimes you need to wait, the help the learn to TRUST their world can meet their needs outside of mom and day by having other people being able to feed them and put them to sleep and to help them with a standard routine most group programs need to have to function - aka healthy nap routine and meals on a typical time frame for most people that sort of 6-9-12-3-6 sort of thing or close to it.

3xbluemom
07-15-2012, 03:15 AM
I just typed up a tip sheet on this this evening as I am interviewing a family with an infant tomorrow. But I might modify it a bit after reading Mom in Alberta's! Here's mine:

Tips for Preparing your Infant or Toddler to start in a Day Home
The first time your child enters care with a new caregiver can be a scary and stressful time for both the child and the parent. However, with some advance preparation, you can minimize the stress for both of you and help ensure an easy transition to child care for your child.
 Even if you are nervous or sad about leaving your child with someone else, remain upbeat and positive when speaking about the day home or care provider. Your child will take their cues on how to react to the caregiver from you. If you appear anxious or uncomfortable with it, your child will feel the same way. If you appear to be excited and convey to your child that they will be safe and well-cared for in this environment, they will be comfortable as well.
 Communicate with your child's caregiver! Make sure they are well aware of the child's daily routines, likes and dislikes, personality, and needs. The more consistency between the child's home environment and the day home, the easier the transition will be for the child.
 Try to get your child into a consistent nap routine, if they are not already in one.
 If your child does not already fall asleep independently, try to help them learn to do so. In a home with several young children, the provider may not always be able to take long periods of time to assist a child in falling asleep.
 Encourage your child to play independently at times.
 Help your child to begin learning to self-sooth - providing them with a comfort object, such as stuffed animal or blanket may help with this.
 If your child has never been left with a caregiver before, try to leave them with a friend or family member a few times, at first for a very short period of time, and then increasing the length of time, so that they begin to understand that other caregivers are safe and that you will always return.
 When the child starts at the day home, provide any comfort objects that they have become accustomed to. (blankie, soother, stuffed animal, favorite toy or book)
 If your child is an only child who is not accustomed to being around other children, it may be helpful to take them to a playgroup or other setting where they are engaged with other children, so that the busyness and activity of the day home is not overwhelming to them.
 Try not to make other major changes to the child's routine or life while they are adjusting to their new day home. Keep their home life as normal and consistent as possible.
 Be aware that some children may have significant difficulty separating at first. This is normal and your care provider will have strategies to comfort the child. Prolonging goodbyes may actually make it more difficult for the child to separate from the parent, rather than soothing them. A short, cheerful goodbye and reassurance that you will return will help your child to settle into the program and be engaged in other activities.
 If possible, plan to transition your child into the day home gradually, rather than "cold turkey." This allows your child to become familiar with the caregiver and other children and makes the leap to full-time care less stressful for him or her.

kimmills
06-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Hey mom-in-alberta, nice post, thank you for such an elaborate but informative post. It was a good read and covered most of the points that parents must ensure that they make their child learn. Thanks again.