PDA

View Full Version : My assistant dropped the ball

Cadillac
03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
I have a WONDERFUL assistant who is normally very involved with kids, knows what to do and whom I feel I have a good relationship with.

Yesterday though . . . . she dropped the ball . . . .

The park where I live is CRAZY BUSY. I hate going there because my stomach is always in my throat. Yesterday we went because I had my assistant with me so I figured I wouldn't be running around like a chicken with my head cut off . . . . WRONG!

She had the 12 month old who she put on the ground and watched play. I guess she figured then that I had EVERYONE ELSE?

I'm talking to a parent on the sidelines watching her stand there with the baby . . . and nothing else. I asked her where ****** was and she said right over there. one of my little girls was waiting to get on something and my assistant just STOOD there. ok . . . I'll put her on. So I did and a oarent said that she would have put her on but didn't want an angry parent telling her not to touch her child. I told the lady not to worry that I help kids on all the time too that are not my own. I stood there for a moment and walked away to check on the older children.

When I went back my assistant was in the same place and the lady who I had sppoken to asked me to watch her as she had to go get her own children! I'm thinking CRAP this lady thinks I put the child on and walked away for her to babysit when my 'assistant' is FIVE FEET AWAY! I apologized and took **** off the 'wha-tcha-ma-call-it'

One of my other kids and his parents just happened to be at the park that day. I was pushing some kids on a swing when I heard (the women that wanted to help ****) her talking to my parent. I didn't hear the conversation but from the bits and piece I heard the lady was talking about me just leaving a child in her care an walking away.

SH**

I talked to my assistant in this morning and all she could tell me was that she didn't want the 12 month old to put wqood chips in her mouth. I told her then she needs to PICK UP THE CHILD so that ANOTHER CHILD isn't left alone. I told her that because she just stood there . . . . I've had a park parent complain about me to my client . . . .

I know I can't expect my assistant to be wonder women but I was livid as this wasn't the only thing she could have taken care of at the park that I had to . . .

Inspired by Reggio
03-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Yup - this is why I prefer to work alone ... if a ball gets dropped no one to blame but myself :(

Dreamalittledream
03-29-2012, 07:58 AM
Ouch! Feel your pain; trying to backpedal and explain yourself is a hard hole to dig out of once that negative seed is planted. So how'd you handle it with the parent that happened to be there that day? I would hope that any parent, given the explanation you just gave us would understand (that your assistant was there keeping an eye on child that other lady thought you left in her care).
Not sure if you're already going to do this but.... I would also address it with 'other lady' as well next time you see her..."thanks so much for your help the other day, just wanted to make sure you didn't think I had left the child alone, my assistant was right behind you"...something to cover your butt

Cadillac
03-29-2012, 09:36 AM
I don't know that I would recognize the lady should I see her again. i was too busy running around with the kids and wasn't paying close attention.

I'm going to have another talk with my assistant about getting more involved when we are outside. maybe she's getting overwhelmed, maybe she's not seeing the dangers I see doing this on a daily basis

I don't think I'm going to address the situation with my client as I can't be sure about the conversation the two ladies had. I don't want to confuse her or bring anything up unnecessarily when I could just be being paranoid because I'm already upset with my assistant.

I'm not going back to that park though. It's too busy and big and the moms in the area are SOOOOOOOO bit**y it's not worth the hassle.

There are other parks out there that aren't so big and just as fun.

I feel like no matter what happens or what I address the damage is done and I just have to be more strict with my staff and careful of the parents I converse with.

Cadillac
03-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Yup - this is why I prefer to work alone ... if a ball gets dropped no one to blame but myself :(

What the HECK?!?!?

I was totally expecting your normal 'sending the positive vibes' thing from you.

Very disappointed Reggio . . .

LOL

Crayola kiddies
03-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Bahahaha......That's the great thing about this forum .... You dont always hear what you want to hear ... But generally what you need to hear ..... Good luck with your damage control !!

Dreamalittledream
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
What the HECK?!?!?

I was totally expecting your normal 'sending the positive vibes' thing from you.

LOL
Oh I needed that laugh today. Signed Booger Patrol :)

Inspired by Reggio
03-29-2012, 12:47 PM
What the HECK?!?!?

LOL

LOL - ya sorry not on my A game this week ;)

I have empathy for ya ... I just have no advice on dealing with 'employees' ... got a degree in Human Resource management cause I thought it would 'make' me good at dealing with other people but all it got me was a big ole pile of debt and the realization that while I like being in CONTROL I do not like being in MANAGEMENT which is why I am better suited to work ALONE ;)

I been there done that as a Centre administrator being the 'boss' and having to take the 'blame' for other peoples behaviour and choices and deal with angry parents in the office in centre care about things that happened when I was not even IN the building because I was supposed to be able to train and motivate others in how to do their job and wave some magic wand and make everyone happy and all the staff 'competent' ... I realized after many years I do not know HOW to motivate others to have common sense - to know that when at the park your eyes need to be on more than one child at a time that when caring for children that even when doing an activity with one you need to be able to scan the room and know at all times where everyone else IS and most off all you need to be able to multi task to meet the needs of multiple children at the same time and so forth .... IME it is just something you HAVE naturally or you have to ACQUIRE by getting hit by the swing often enough and having to deal with the wraith of that angry parent yourself verses having a boss 'fixing' it for you.

Perhaps making HER talk to your client about her dropping the ball and making it RIGHT with your client not much to do with the lady at the park since you cannot recognize the her to talk to them...hopefully she can learn from this as a lesson in 'professionalism' while out and about with the group?

Spixie33
03-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Wow....that sounds like a nightmare all around.
I think IF you go again (IF !) then go at a different time.
We also have a very busy big park and I notice that it gets crazy busy with parents and daycares between 9:45-11 a.m. (usually after snack and before lunch)
So...I try and be sneaky and take the kids there at 8 a.m. or 8:30 am for an hour and we usually have the park all to ourselves and the kids can run around and I don't have to try and do headcounts over 20 other kids.

Also...make a plan with your assistant. It sounds like you didn't have one. I would say "how about you watch child A and child B and I will go with the older kids Child C and D and E and then we can switch if you want after 20 minutes. Always remember that people outside your home are judging you when you are a daycare and out with the kids. :unsure:

I tend to put my infant in the swing. LOL Less risk of her getting injured/knocked over or picking stuff off the ground and infants just LOVE the swings. I swear she could be there all day and not complain as long as I fed her.

Good luck and I guess try to think of something to address it with the parent of your dck that saw you at the park and explain that it was just a hectic day and that you are going to try to make sure you think of a better system next time so that the parent feels like you are taking the situation as a learning experience and they won't feel nervous next time you take their little one to the park :D

sunnydays
03-29-2012, 01:29 PM
That is awful! I know what you mean about busy parks...or parks get very busy at times in the summer and I tend to leave when too many people show up. I usually find that before 10am is usually okay. I also have a set of bright orange matching hats for my kids so that they are easy to spot and keep track of. I don't help children who are too small to go on the climbers..they have to play in the sand or smaller play things until they are older as that would require me to focus on that one child and not be watching the others. I also only do swings if the can all swing at once. I am constantly watching, counting, checking and doubel checking. I know how stressful it can be!

Momof4
03-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow, how frightening and I don't think I'd like that busy park at all! Now don't get mad at me beause I'm going to be honest. I only have a little teenager who comes to help me once in a while on her PD days, so not a real assistant. However, when she's here and helping me it is still my responsiblity to know exactly what is happening with every child. I'm liable for the children and responsible for everything that happens.