PDA

View Full Version : What do YOU do during quiet time?

mlc1982
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM
While the kids are napping or having quiet time, what are you usually doing??

For me, if all the kids cooperate, that is when I get my dishes done and tidy up. Then I am usually able to get on the computer if I want to (like today) and occasionally get caught up on a couple recorded shows! I like quiet time!!

Sunflower
03-03-2011, 04:01 PM
I also enjoy quiet time and make a point to do something I enjoy while they sleep. I quickly clean up the kitchen before they go to bed so that once they are all sleeping I come back upstairs and make some coffee ,check out the forum :laugh:, maybe watch a recorded show as well (LOVE my pvr!!) Sometimes I will give myself a manicure or pedicure lol and twice a week I do a big clean up of the whole house so I can relax on the week-end.

Emilys4Guppies
03-03-2011, 05:59 PM
First thing I do is get a hot cup of coffee and sit with my laptop for 15 minutes!

Then I clean the kitchen and prep snack/dinner. I always put a load of laundry into the washer in the am, so it goes into the dryer...and then folded into drawers. That's my quiet time.

jennipooh
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
How long does your quiet time last for??
When the kids are "napping". How long are they down for??

What ages do you have and how long do they "nap" for??

FS2011
03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
I have my daycare down in my first level. I have 2 that nap and one that has quiet time ...which lately means watching a movie or else he trys the...my tummy hurts, my brain hurts, I'm bored etc etc you know. So anyways...I know hes safe watching a movie but if I am going to leave the daycare centre to go up stairs then I still use a baby monitor. Does that seem silly? he's 4? Otherwise I do my laundry on the first level of the home, or sit in my office which is also on the same level, there I can use computer to do work, or go on forum :) or watch tv etc.

Sunflower
03-04-2011, 08:15 AM
my group of kids sleep from 12-30 or 1 to 2:30 or 3 So I have plenty of time to clean : )

cfred
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Oh, quiet time! How much do I love that?!!! Mine lasts about 2 hours, 1.5 for the older kids. The big kids, when not in school, watch a movie quietly in the daycare area where I have 2 futons that fold down into queen size beds. Quiet time is MY time to do what I want. The pedicure and manicure is sometimes on the agenda. Sometimes I do house work. Sometimes I just like to sit and revel in the quiet. I think everyone should just do what they want during quiet time because, as we all know, running a daycare is a strenuous day with very long hours. We've certainly earned a leisurely, long lunch.....so enjoy ladies!

Tot-Time
03-04-2011, 09:26 PM
I agree I love quiet time!!!!!

My quiet time lasts 2 hours for my big kid and 2.5 hours for my little ones. I grab a soothing drink in the summer iced tea in the summer hot chocolate, and chat with friends via phone, email, or social networking.

I do try and tidy the kitchen up during lunch, but if it doesn't happen then I clean and prepare afternoon snack when the big kid is up.

GrinsNGiggles
03-05-2011, 12:58 AM
My quiet time is between 12:30/1pm to about 3pm.
I use my quiet time to study. I go to college at night. Days I don`t feel like studying I make a cup of tea and watch a show to relax.

mom-in-alberta
04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Hmmmm..... what is this "quiet time" you speak of? lol
We are SUPPOSED to have quiet time/ nap time from 12:30/1:00 until about 3:00ish. I say supposed to because I have 2 little boys (14 months and 18 months) that REFUSE to nap more than 30 min (or less) at a time. And unfortunately, they aren't even taking that half hour at the same time!! :(
IF I get them all down at the same time, I admit that I use the time to clean, usually. Or I will sit down with a cup of coffee and a book. I love nap time, when it actually takes place, that is!!!

Judy Trickett
04-05-2011, 08:01 AM
ALL my kids nap at quiet time. It's mandatory that they all lay down and be QUIET. So, yes, I get my only break of the day at this time.

Truth be told I spend most of nap time on the computer mentoring other providers.

I spend about half an hour of it prepping my family dinner.

Tinkerbell
04-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Sadly, there is no quiet time here. There is always someone awake so we go 10 hours straight, 5 days per week.

mlc1982
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I just had a little guy start that has a weird sleeping schedule. Unfortunatley I think that means no more quiet time ror me either.

Play and Learn
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I rest after everything is tidy. Monday-Wed, my little one is out cold for 3-4 hours!!! And on Thurs/Fri, the little guy only naps for an hour, so I only rest for an hour.

Rules in my manual, quiet time is an hour minimum! I need my break to stay sane! If the little guy doesn't nap, then I take him, with his blankets, and we lay on the couch together for more quiet time.

giraffe
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I do NOTHING! Yup, I love nap time. It is the only time I have for me during the day. Sure i may prep if I feel like it but usually I read or go on the computer (like I am now) ;)

busybee
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
My quiet time is usually 12-2 sometime 1 depending on their day. Usually I will tidy up grab a bite to eat for me and then hit the computer for a bit.About half hour before i know they are do to be waking up I prepare afternoon snack.I am spoiled my hubby is retired so he does allot of my after lunch clean up while i am changing bums and putting to bed and he prepares our dinner.Sometimes he even makes a lunch for me .I would love to Nap sometimes when they are especially when I have the kids that stay till 10pm a few nights a week that's brutal! But i never sure of how long they will be down for so i just grab some high energy snack and get through it

Sandbox Sally
06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I surf the internet or read. Sometimes I fold laundry while I do this, sometimes I don't. But I DEFINITELY don't do housework. This is my time, and I love it. I only have one dck right now. I have two starting at different times in August, so we'll see if I still get my time. Nah, I WILL get my time...I demand it. :D

KingstonMom
06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
ALL my kids MUST nap between 12:30 and 2:30 no questions. I have 4, from ages 14 mos -2 and a half. (one is my own)
They all sleep and I sit back on the lazy boy with my feet up, laptop and blackberry, watching tv.

I clean the kitchen right after they eat lunch, and they play for 5 mins while i do this. then its diapers and bedtime.
I may tidy up a few toys here and there, but its not really that messy.

I am a horrible housewive and dont do much housework or supper prep during this time.

I feel I deserve this 'relax time' for getting them all down without hassel at the same time.

Skysue
06-21-2011, 12:12 PM
I ususally have someone awake as well but they are either in a playpen or quietly watching a movie, that shouldn't stop you from taking a break for yourself! I used to have a child that would only nap an hour and now she naps for 2 and if she wakes then she plays quietly in her playpen! As long as they are safe sometimes I even let them cry for a few minutes! As long as I can hear them and know what kind of a cry it is! Just like your own little ones if we pick them up everytime they cry they will try and be the ones in control!

Ladies I clean as well and tidy up but always take a few minutes for yourself!

Hugs!

Skysue
06-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Sorry it takes you 5 minutes to clean up? It takes me like 20! How do you pull that off???? Need to know!

Play and Learn
06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry it takes you 5 minutes to clean up? It takes me like 20! How do you pull that off???? Need to know!

Takes me about that time to tidy up as well. DH is a clean freak, so if you walked in a 10:30 a.m., it's in pristine condition - the house that is. My dckids know how to clean up (because I make them), and I wash dishes as they're finishing up their lunch.

fruitloop
06-21-2011, 03:25 PM
I hang out with my dd, surf on my computer, get snacks ready for the pm, sometimes do laundry or yard work. My nap time is also mandatory and is from about 12:45-3-3:30.

KingstonMom
06-21-2011, 03:39 PM

I should specify, it takes that long to clean up the kitchen after lunch only, not the whole house! I usually start cooking lunch around 1030am, have everything made, wash the pans, pots or whatever, then have it ready on plates for 11:30 lunch time.
I scarf something down standing up in the kitchen while they all eat, then wipe faces, take away plates, put dishes in dishwasher and wipe down highchair and booster seat trays. while they are playing in livingroom (within eye sight) i sweep the floor and wipe counters till all is spic n span.
now diapers and nap :)
Now time for The first 48 or Judge Judy ;)

fruitloop
06-21-2011, 06:08 PM
I must be the only 1 who leaves all the dishes in the sink for my son to do after supper. Dishes (loading and unloading the dishwasher) is his chore so I leave all the dishes piled in the sink for him to do. It's 1 less thing I have to do during the day.

Play and Learn
06-21-2011, 07:33 PM
I must be the only 1 who leaves all the dishes in the sink for my son to do after supper.

This is because you have kids to do chores for you! I'm childless at this moment!!!!

FS2011
06-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Clean up after lunch today took 35 minutes! A new baby I have is so messy and I already have a messy baby of my own. Once that was done, I did some laundry and then laid down resting until I heard the first child awake. That usually signals the rest are waking soon. I'm lucky to get an hour of rest, sometimes 45 mins.

mlc1982
06-24-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh, I would be annoyed if I only got 45 minutes to myself!

BCParent
06-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I'll go online for a bit, read, or preferably, I lay on the couch with my fountain on, some quiet music and my aromatherapy diffuser and just 'zen' out for a while and enjoy the quiet...lol. (no, I'm not sleeping!)

chellebelle
06-28-2011, 09:48 AM
My first post!!
Quiet time here is from approx. 12:30 - 3:00. Im fortunate that all of my kidlets are good sleepers, but some of that goes to sleep training as well. I would not accept that an 18 month old would sleep 45 min.
I go for a run on the treadmill (I have the monitor on), clean the kitchen, do any prep for dinner, then channel surf ... LOVE QUIET TIME.