PDA

View Full Version : Are both days stat days?

Skysue
03-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi ladies,

Is Good Friday & Easter monday both considered STAT holidays?

Skysue
03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Just looked it up and Good Friday is supose to be the STAT for ontario not the Monday? I always thought it was the Monday?

Play and Learn
03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Nope. Just Friday is the Stat. But I take both off as paid holidays.

michellesmunchkins
03-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I take both off too, but my families refuse to pay for stats, ugh!

Skysue
03-31-2012, 12:29 PM
That's terrible. They get them so should you?

I take both off too, but my families refuse to pay for stats, ugh!

michellesmunchkins
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I agree! Unfortunately, I just gave up fighting with them for them.

waterloo day mom
03-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Parents don't set the rules, you do. If you want to adjust your contract so that stat days are paid, then do so. Parents can abide by your rules or find other daycare arrangements. Your business, your rules. End of story.

michellesmunchkins
03-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Its in my contract, they all signed it, but when it comes to it they all kick up a huge fuss because they are not 'getting anything out of it'. I just gave up the battle. I would have to kick them all out and start over lol

Spixie33
03-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Wow Michelle - that is kind of crazy and disrespectful of the parents. I could understand if 1 parent grumbles but all of them?

I just matter of factly put a reminder in my newsletter a few months before Easter telling parents I am closed the Friday and the Monday and reminding parents that they are both PAID days. I have never heard a complaint in 2 years.

I spoke to some of the area daycare providers when I started and asked them whether they are open or closed and whether they charge the monday or not and the overwhelming answer was that they closed on Mondays and got paid

Honestly I am pretty excited about my 4 days off - woot woot. lol We deserve it.

I don't understand their argument that they don't get anything out of it. The day is a regular day where they get paid but get to stay home with their beloved child. What do they want out of it?? Do they pay you for any stats??

Sandbox Sally
03-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I take the Friday, but not the Monday as paid.

I would definitely cut loose any family that was disrespectful enough to suggest that I shouldn't be paid for statutory holidays.

Crayola kiddies
03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm not exactly sure how they can just refuse to pay ???? It's paid or you don't have care and they are getting something out of it ... A spot in daycare!

mom-in-alberta
03-31-2012, 08:44 PM
I take the Friday as a paid STAT and the Monday as a paid holiday.
And if the parents even tried to say they were not going to pay, under an AGREED UPON CONTRACT, I would be sending out warning letters and terminating anyone who "refused".
If they are going to kick up a fuss about something like that, what else are they going to try to make the rules about??

Cocoon
04-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Well in my calender both days shown in red, so it must be holiday:D I'm in Calgary.

fruitloop
04-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Wow, I can't believe they refuse to pay you! This is another reason I charge a monthly fee...all stats are incorporated into that...hard to bring your kids here if I don't answer the door ;) My families would NEVER try to a) not pay for a stat and b) bring their child ON a stat that I was closed for. Those parents are awful, what makes them so much better than you that they get paid for them and you don't!

sunnydays
04-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I take both days as Stats and they are paid. I have never had even a comment about paying for stats, or holidays for that matter, let alone refusal to pay! My parents pay in advance and most of them have given me post-dated cheques for months and months ahead, so there is never ANY issue of payment.

ECE53
04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
This is another good example of why you get paid in advance. If they short you two days, then you ask them what days they are not coming. If all the families do it , I would close on the Friday and Monday with pay as per your contract and then warn them all that you will be closed the following Thursday and Friday as well unless you receive payment. I did have one family when I first started try to drop their children off on the Monday, I was away, my neighbor watched laughing as the dad tried my door three times .... That taught them to read the bulletins.

Momof4
04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Last year I didn't raise my rates but I added Easter Monday and Christmas Eve day as closed paid holidays for me and it's right there in my contract, so if the parents don't have the days off they have plenty of time to make other arrangements. Whether a day is a stat or not if it's in the contract as a paid day off then the parents agree to it up front.

playfelt
04-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Easter Monday is a federal holiday meaning military, federal government, banks, etc. have it off. It is not a provincial holiday. So a lot depends on what you have in your contract.

I have it in the contract with the idea that after the winter if we decided to go visit family we would need the long weekend to do it. Also when my kids were younger they were heavily involved in sunday school pageants, kids choir etc for easter at church so it was always a busy time and the day of rest after was nice. If I have families where neither parent gets the day off I have given care for additional fee but that is up to me.