PDA

View Full Version : Statutory Holidays

ARL-G
04-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I was wondering what other providers do for PART TIME children and Stat holidays?

I am closed for all Stat holidays...and my full time parents pay me for those days. I'm about to take on two families that are both part time...do you just have the families that would be there that day pay, or do you have a Tuesday, Thursday parent pay you a percentage of a Monday holiday?

If you DO have part time parents pay you a percentage, how do you calculate that?
Also, what wording do you use on the contract for that?

Thanks!
ARL-G

p.s. Every time I wrote "PART" I wrote Party and had to erase the "y"...hahaha....what's on my mind on this Monday Morning? hahaha

Momof4
04-02-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't have it listed as stat holidsays in my contract, but rather it's called Closed Daycare Holidays to avoid any confusion for the parents. Some have the Easter Monday or Remebrance Day or Family Day or NOT, depending on if they work for private employers, federal or provincial employers like banks, etc.

I do take Easter Monday as a closed day and it's listed in my contract so if there are families who have to work that day they have to arrange for other care in advance. But that's the key, if it's in your contract they have lots of advance notice, right?

So to answer your question, all full-time families pay weekly no matter if there are closed holidays, sick or missed days for any reason. Part-time families pay for the days that they are scheduled weekly EVERY WEEK so if my calendar is marked for example for Mon/Wed/Fri every week then they pay for their 3 days every week, no matter if there is a closed holiday, sick or missed day for any reason.

I find it fair and reasonable.

Play and Learn
04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
If my part-timers are usually scheduled on Mondays, then I ask for payment for the Monday STATS as otherwise they'd be in care. Same goes for Fridays.

When I had a p/t child on Thurs/Fri they usually never paid for any stats as they didn't attend on Mondays.

Hopefully that helps!

fruitloop
04-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Because I do monthly payment, not weekly, all stats ( and paid closed days like Easter Monday) are already paid for and there is no discount for any family...p/t and f/t.

ARL-G
04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Thank you... that does help.

Yes, I have listed on my contract what days I am closed. I was just wondering who to have pay me for those days. As I am about to take on a Tuesday/Thursday child (so they would not usually be on a STAT day) and I was wondering if I should have that family pay me anything for vacation.

But I think it makes sense...if your child would have attended had I been open that day, then you pay. Easter Monday I will not make a Tuesday parent pay.

Thanks girls!

ARL-G
04-02-2012, 08:43 AM
fruit loop....do you have part time children pay for a holiday on a monday if they do not attend care on mondays?

playfelt
04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
My part time only pay for a stat if it falls on their usual day with the exception of Christmas, Boxing Day and New Years which are paid by all families.

Skysue
04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
If the Stat falls on your days you pay!

Inspired by Reggio
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I am another who has a list of 'observed public holidays' in my contract and I take both Good Friday and Easter Monday off paid ... if a public holiday on my list falls on the Saturday or Sunday I take the Monday off in lieu

With part time yes if a stat falls on your 'regularly scheduled day' than you pay for it.

fruitloop
04-02-2012, 07:02 PM
fruit loop....do you have part time children pay for a holiday on a monday if they do not attend care on mondays?

Yes. I have a part time dcb who come W,T, F and also a F/T dcb who come Tues-Fri...they both pay their full rates every month. They pay me on the 1 of every month and I do not deduct any days for stats or their sick days/holidays. I only deduct fees for my own holidays.

fruitloop
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I should add that I just charge a monthly fee. They don't pay on top of that fee for stats, stats are incorporated into their fees so to speak. I don't reduce their rates for the stats I take off/i'm closed for.

mom-in-alberta
04-03-2012, 01:22 AM
My part timers pay daily. The arrangements I have had previously were "guaranteed" part time. This meant that they paid me a minimum, agreed upon amount at the beginning of the month. For example, they need at least 6 days of care, they pay for at least 6 days every single month, on the first. Should they request a STAT day as one of those days, I would let them know that I am closed, and that they can choose another day during the month if they wish. If they don't (and they always do) then yes, they would still pay the flat fee that month.

Momof4
04-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I should add that I just charge a monthly fee. They don't pay on top of that fee for stats, stats are incorporated into their fees so to speak. I don't reduce their rates for the stats I take off/i'm closed for.

What do you do when there is an extra week in the month? It sounds complicated! I charge weekly.

fruitloop
04-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Nope, not complicated. I basically charge for 21 work days. Paying by the month is normal around here. Not compicated at all. I find weekly payments more complicated.

bright sparks
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
For those who take Easter Monday as a paid day off....How is that generally recieved by parents and prospective parents during interviews as its not actually a Stat Holiday?

My first year in Canada from the UK I listed Easter Monday as a paid stat holiday off( as in UK it is a Stat Holiday but I wasn't aware it wasn't here until someone pointed it out), and everyone questioned me for this so I changed it. I'm not totally happy about it though as Easter Monday is supposed to observe Easter Sunday. Its not about trying to grap another paid day off but observing my beliefs.

Inspired by Reggio
06-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I am closed Easter Monday ... initially I took it as an 'unpaid' day because it was important to me to be closed this day to be with my family ... I do get paid for it now though because in lieu of raising my fees for two years I added 10 paid personal days to my contracts ... so I take this day as one of my paid personal days and use the others for sick days or appointments I cannot make after hours and so forth and if I have any 'left over' as the year end approaches I apply them to the week between Xmas and New Year where I am closed as well and there are days that are not 'stat' so would be normally unpaid closures as well ... works well for me and clients seem to 'get' that if they were not paying me for these days they would be paying a 'higher fee' every other day anyway - so in the end it works out the 'same' ;)

Mamma_Mia
06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
I am another who has a list of 'observed public holidays' in my contract and I take both Good Friday and Easter Monday off paid ... if a public holiday on my list falls on the Saturday or Sunday I take the Monday off in lieu

With part time yes if a stat falls on your 'regularly scheduled day' than you pay for it.

If everyone else at workplace get day off for thier RELIGION then so do I....I am Catholic anD Good Friday & Easter Monday are two important days for us. So :P :laugh:

bright sparks
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I am closed Easter Monday ... initially I took it as an 'unpaid' day because it was important to me to be closed this day to be with my family ... I do get paid for it now though because in lieu of raising my fees for two years I added 10 paid personal days to my contracts ... so I take this day as one of my paid personal days and use the others for sick days or appointments I cannot make after hours and so forth and if I have any 'left over' as the year end approaches I apply them to the week between Xmas and New Year where I am closed as well and there are days that are not 'stat' so would be normally unpaid closures as well ... works well for me and clients seem to 'get' that if they were not paying me for these days they would be paying a 'higher fee' every other day anyway - so in the end it works out the 'same' ;)

What a great idea!!! Thanks

Mamma_Mia
06-13-2012, 02:12 PM
I have in my contract that I also get paid on 'stat days'...not I have a PT who only comes Tues, Wed & Thurs.....there isn't anything I can do....right?

Inspired by Reggio
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I have in my contract that I also get paid on 'stat days'...not I have a PT who only comes Tues, Wed & Thurs.....there isn't anything I can do....right?

If the stat falls on their schedule day than they would pay - otherwise no they would not pay ... this is why I charge MORE for part time to offset that lost income of those days sitting 'empty' ;)

little rascals
06-13-2012, 02:59 PM
I do the same if it falls on a day that would be a holiday. But what about people who are part time who are in care different days every week. ( hope you don't mind adding this question)

Play and Learn
06-13-2012, 03:23 PM
I do the same if it falls on a day that would be a holiday. But what about people who are part time who are in care different days every week. ( hope you don't mind adding this question)
If it lands on their day that week, then they pay!

Inspired by Reggio
06-13-2012, 03:44 PM

I do not offer 'flex care' myself where they can move their days around - however I have peers who offer this service and they charge even 'more' for flex care than for regular part time that is consistent - so they factor in the loss of stat pay days there as well by offering that service cause clients will not choose to 'schedule' a stat day of course and choose other days instead ;)

playfelt
06-13-2012, 04:09 PM
My part time families that don't normally come on a Monday pay for 5 of my 10 Stat days as I consider those part of my paid vacation. They pay for Good Friday, Canada Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, New Year's Day. But they do not get care on any of the other days either nor compensated.

Spixie33
06-13-2012, 04:33 PM
The Easter Monday is listed right in my contract and before the holiday I send out a newsletter reminder about 4 weeks in advance reminding parents I am closed Easter Friday and Monday and that they are paid stat days.

Never have heard a peep or complaint from a parent about it. Half my parents are off that day and half aren't and take it off as a vacay day. Most daycare providers in my neighbourhood take it as a paid day off (that I have talked to).

Oh and of course the Good Friday and Easter Monday stats only apply to parents who would have been scheduled for those days

Momof4
06-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I call my list of 'stat' days - Closed Daycare Paid Holidays - in my contract and they are listed and it states that if the day falls on the weekend the following business day is taken in lieu of the actual date.. For instance next month July 1st falls on Sunday so I'm closed on Monday. Also, in my newsletters I have important dates listed and this reminds the parents of any upcoming holidays I am closed.

The parents have it all listed on the contract so they can book off any days they don't have as holidays with their employers. I have one Mom who works for the Federal government so she doesn't get Family Day but I take it off, then she gets Remembrance Day off, but I don't take that one off. You just do your best to inform the parents and then they have to deal with booking their days off.

playfelt
06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I am one of those that does have Remembrance day listed in my list of closed days because my hubby is military and some years he was on parade and the family attended so I am closed to give me the freedom to do what I want that day. I also have Easter monday in my list of closed days with the idea that after a long winter I deserve a long weekend. We are either heavily involved in church activities because of sunday school and choir or we take the opportunity of no snowy weather to travel to visit the grandparents and for that need the extra day to make it worth while. This started before family day ever existed so I just added that one to my contract.

Now having said that if I have parents that I know do not get those three days off and I have no major plans for the day I will sometimes accept those children into care for half the daily rate extra but they are cared for - food, nap, diapers, but no programming so basically they are just hanging out here.

little rascals
06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
I do not offer 'flex care' myself where they can move their days around - however I have peers who offer this service and they charge even 'more' for flex care than for regular part time that is consistent - so they factor in the loss of stat pay days there as well by offering that service cause clients will not choose to 'schedule' a stat day of course and choose other days instead ;)

This is where I feel at a lose because they simply do not select that day so never get the stat pay for it. I charge the same rate but maybe I should change that. Thanks

Inspired by Reggio
06-14-2012, 06:37 AM
This is where I feel at a lose because they simply do not select that day so never get the stat pay for it. I charge the same rate but maybe I should change that. Thanks

I look ate setting fees this way .... the government regardless of your province caps our income at X the amount of children we are allowed to have under their rules so in Ontario that is 5 other provinces vary! If I need to make Y amount of income at the end of the year after my projected expenses the easiest way for me to set my fees is to divide Y by 5 to determine the annual revenue I need from each of my allowable clients ... I than take that number and divide it to determine my FULL TIME RATE which is the easiest and most secure form of income.

Now if I can going to offer PART TIME services to clients that puts my projected income at RISK because chances are I will no longer be 'full' if I cannot find someone to offset their noncare days and therefore I charge MORE for that service because IMO it is a PREMIUM service and I need to ensure that set my fees to ensure that I am viable so if offering a service poses a risk your fees for that service should reflect that and make 'up' for it so to speak.

Offering FLEX TIME where a client is occupying a full time space because their days change and fluctuate each week makes it VERY hard to find another client to offset that space and keep my income full and as a result I do not even offer this as an option because my current business plan and budget is based on being FULL everyday and this style of care prohibits that .... but if I did I would still charge MORE than my full time or part time rate for this service because it is not just premium service that part time is - it is PLATINUM service that they are asking for and needing ... expecting a service provider to forgo the security of an income of a full time client for the commitment of serving them a few times a month at their beck and call to when they 'need' the space and only wanting to pay for the days used!

Think if it using this anaolgy to explain to clients .... if you needed access to accommodations and wanted to ensure it was 'therefore you' when needed on a moments notice you have two choices .... you can rent an apartment and you pay for that apartment space regardless of use and it might cost you $800 a month or $26.66 a night and if your routine use of it is 'consistent' you might be able to find someone to 'share' that space with some nights but you'd likely charge them a bit more per night cause you'd have to change your sheets more and so forth ..... however if some months you might only need less than $800 worth of stays and you only want to pay for the nights you need your option is to rent a HOTEL where you are going to pay a PLATINUM RATE of between $85 - 150 a night depending on the 'quality' of extra services provided ... in the daycare world this is FLEX CARE ;)

Crayola kiddies
06-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Little rascals .... I had a flex care family once and even though they were taking a full spot they only wanted to pay for the days in care so our compromise was that they pay for all stats and my holidays in full regardless of what days they normally would have come.... So for instance if labour day was not going to be a care day ( and I had all shifts for the year as it was rotation) they paid for it in addition to the regular days in care so for the tear I got an extra 21 days pay at the higher part time rate.