PDA

View Full Version : Casual Care?

Lou
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Hey Ladies,
I received an email this morning from a mom in my area looking for very casual care. "Every now and then for appointments and such", I wrote back saying that I would consider it, and it would have to be on a time to time basis depending upon availability that day.
Do any of you provide care like this? If so, do you have them fill out the contract and registration (even if it seems they may only come once a month or so?) How do you handle casual care?
Thanks for any advice!

Inspired by Reggio
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I have never done this because I have never had the space to do so - I am basically always full or aiming to be full when in between spaces.

However IF I did have the space to offer something like this and the child was old enough to COPE with that kind of arrangement I would still do a contract so that it was clear how much notice had to be given to commit to a day, that once a day was committed to that it would have to be PAID for regardless so that you are not turning away other person cause you thought you were 'booked' only to have them cancel last minute and so forth?

Skysue
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Hey Ladies,
I received an email this morning from a mom in my area looking for very casual care. "Every now and then for appointments and such", I wrote back saying that I would consider it, and it would have to be on a time to time basis depending upon availability that day.
Do any of you provide care like this? If so, do you have them fill out the contract and registration (even if it seems they may only come once a month or so?) How do you handle casual care?
Thanks for any advice!

I do it but I tell them the days that are available and I have a minimum in effect. This way it makes it worthwhile for both of us. It gives there little one a chance to socialize 2 times a week for 3-4 hours. I ask that there child not come for nap time as it would off set our routine. I have accepted her at odd times as an exception but only during daycare hours and for an additional fee of course!

michellesmunchkins
04-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I used to offer this, but found it just 'messed up' for lack of a better word our day and threw off the other kids. The little one couldn't handle coming once in a blue moon and cried the whole time. My regular guys had no use for her lol. It ended up being the most frustrating days and experience for all involved. The mom however, still wanted to continue sending her as she liked her 'alone' time even though her child was not tolerating it well! I no longer offer it and have a minimum of 2 days/week for anyone wanting care..and even that is hard sometimes for the child to adjust.

playfelt
04-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Teh only time I have done this is when I have a child that is a set part time and I can tell the family what days are available. It is then up to them to make their appointments, etc. on the days I have open. But they only pay for the days they use. I have a child that is 4 days a week and a mom that was using the odd Monday but has since just made it a regular so now she knows she has one day off a week to do whatever she needs to do.

Sandbox Sally
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I only do this with a child that has already been here. Her mom is on mat leave, and she comes the occasional day now to give mom a bit of a reprieve. It works well, but she already knows us. I'd consider this for a child I already know, but I don't think for a stranger.

Cocoon
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
If it's regular casual care yes I would have a contract and consent form. I also would ask parents' to sign consent form regardles whether they are regular or one of.

Hope it helps.

Cocoon

Momof4
04-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I would not do it because I don't want to offer a drop in type service. I want to be full at my 5 child maximum with only one part-time and the other 4 full-time at the least so I make a good income. If you are willing to offer a drop in service what would happen if you had 5 children in care already and they wanted to drop in? You cannot do it!

mom-in-alberta
04-03-2012, 01:35 AM
I have done it based on availability. I request a minimum of 24 hours notice, and I reserve the right to refuse based on space (or me just not wanting to, not that I would tell them that, lol).
I am not a huge fan of it. The little girl would spend most of the morning crying for mamma. The blessing was that she was a GREAT sleeper. Honestly, if she had nap issues, I would have stopped. And at first, dad would just sort of show up whenever he wanted to. But I explained that I needed to know when to expect them, so that we weren't waiting for the doorbell all morning. I am not okay with our schedule being thrown all out of whack, just because your appointment isn't until one.
They fill out all the same paperwork, even if it's a one day a month thing. They pay daily, at the end of the day. No pay, they won't be welcome back.

Emily3
04-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi! I would say it totally depends on your situation and the personality of the child/family! I only have 3 day care kids so have been able to provide casual care for 1 little fellow! I believe it only works for me because the mother is extremely easy going! I had the little guy come every day for a week so that he would already know us when he started just coming casuallly. Mom would call the night before or even morning of to see if I could take him and was totally fine if I said no ( I'm 8 month pregnant and she didn't mind when I said I was too tired!)! I made a mini contract with health info, emergency contact etc. And she paid cash each time she dropped him off. If it was not a 'perfect' fit like this I feel it could be a disaster and probably not really worth the headache!!!

Lou
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
No, it would defintiely not be just a drop in service. My kids come on different days so sometimes I have as little as 2 (including my son!) and others I'm full! So it would only work out for the days where I'm low with kids which we would have to work out in advance. I like the idea of creating a shorter version of the contract and giving her my availability a month in advance...thanks ladies!

sunnydays
04-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I have done it when I had space. Once was just a half day and it was terrible as the child had never been in daycare and cried the entire time. The other time was between Christmas and New Years when the child's regular provider was closed but I was open. I had space as some of my kids were away, so I took this child for two days and he was a dream...ate and slept and played...no problems. I made a little extra money and his parents were happy not to have to take time off work. I did make a contract and registration for them and they paid in advance. I may in the future do this again, but only if I know I will have space and the child is not new to daycare.