PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing WRONG!??

Littledragon
04-05-2012, 07:58 PM
I have had my ad up since end of January. I have ONE client. At first I was just starting for June, bc I'm done mat leave then and I need to be full. I'm starting to get nervous, so I've been gradually making my start dates earlier and earlier hoping I would get some bites. NOTHING. Two days ago I put an ad for April 23rd, NOTHING. Not even an inquiry! What am I doing wrong?! I've had 18 hits on my ad on Kijiji in 12 hours, and not ONE email. I got an email from a woman who found me on daycare bear, I emailed her back and never heard from her again. I'm starting to really panic. I have one client, and I'm getting hungry and anxious for more. I can't wait to have my daycare up and running! I don't understand why no one is even INQUIRING. Here's my ad - it's basically the same on Kijiji and daycarebear. My ad on here has a little bit more information.

"Full time spot available at Little Dreamers Home Daycare for April 23rd, 2012 in the Craig Henry area. Fees are $45/day, $225/week.

Visit my website for more information http://littledreamershd.wee bly.com/index.html

Hi there!
My name is Samantha Hardy and I am looking to fill a full time spot for April 23rd, 2012
Little Dreamers offers nutritious homemade meals, structured play, free play, creative play, outdoor physical activity, celebrations, picnics and so much more in a bilingual atmosphere!
For more information or for a showing, call me or email me. Please take the time to check out my website as well!

I look forward to hearing from you!"

There's a woman down the road who always has a full daycare and this ad is very simliar to hers, where I put the prices and such in the beginning. She charges $3 less a day than I do. I DON'T want to lower my price, and I don't think I have to. There a few daycares in my area and most of them are relatively the same price.

HELP!!!!!!

mom-in-alberta
04-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Samantha, I don't know what to tell you.... I have snooped through your site, and I don't see anything that would "turn me off" as a parent. Are you totally sure that your rates are on par? That is the only thing I can think of that would mean that nobody is even contacting you. Clearly it is not your demeanor or people skills, since you aren't getting to that stage.
Where else are you advertising? Sometimes, it's not enough to just do online, Kijiji etc stuff. Keep your ads up in those places, but also put up some old-fashioned paper flyers around your neighborhood. Take a walk and go to local schools, libraries, play places, fast food restaraunts, gyms, shopping stores, etc. If you see a billboard, pin an ad to it!! I always advertise online, and have good success with Kijiji, but I would say that the 2nd most interest comes from actual flyers. "I saw your ad at Canadian Tire...". Put those little tear away pieces with your phone number or email addresss down at the bottom. That way, if someone is shopping and says "Oh, So-and-so just mentioned that they are looking for a daycare, I will give them this number." you get referrals!
I wouldn't be afraid to go door knocking in your neighborhood with those flyers, either. Get your face out there and let people know that you have an established dayhome and are looking to fill some full time spaces.
This business can be feast or famine sometimes, and it is hardest to fill up the first time. After that, it seems to be easier and easier.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Momof4
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM
I really like your website, and especially that picture of you in your jammies, hahahaha! You're too cute!

However, after reading over the site I have no idea what city you live in so that might be a problem for people. You have a lot of 'non-negotiable' and other information that might be best saved for the interview. You want to really sell yourself and your daycare with your ad and your website, catch people's attention and make them really interested, you know? Then at the phone interview stage you can weed out the people who are not a match at all and only interview the people who really seem promising.

My daycare is full right now thankfully but I've heard from friends who are trying to fill spaces that it's really slow right now for some reason. Keep trying and don't give up. I was in your shoes when I was new and it was really scary and hard to get going. To tell you the absolute truth, I started with very low rates and raised them slowly as I became better and better. You may have to reduce your rates and give it a few years until you know you can prove to parents that you are worth the big bucks. Good luck!

Littledragon
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=Momof4;13346]However, after reading over the site I have no idea what city you live in so that might be a problem for people. You have a lot of 'non-negotiable' and other information that might be best saved for the interview. You want to really sell yourself and your daycare with your ad and your website, catch people's attention and make them really interested, you know? Then at the phone interview stage you can weed out the people who are not a match at all and only interview the people who really seem promising.

Thank you! I was having some problems with my current little boy's parents and that's why I put all that non-negotiable stuff in it. But I'd forgotten about it so I took it out. And i changed some of the pictures. Thank you so much for your help!

dodge__driver11
04-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah hon if you can save all the policy stuff for the handbook/contract package that you give to families that you WANT to come to your program...Focus more on what you can and will offer....As one DCP told me here be confident in what you say....

YOU HAVE A GOOD PROGRAM. Show it off!

Good luck!

Spixie33
04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Sometimes it really is just all about timing. If you have a lot of daycares in your area then you may not get a lot of bites.
There are also periods of time where I don't hear any emails or calls for months. I had nothing from Nov-March and then suddenly people are calling again. Finally after nearly 2 years of being open it was my first time where I had two people interested in the same spot. I thought that sort of situation was the stuff of myth and legends judging by how slow it was going.:p

The other thing I have during slow periods is odd people coming where I know that they are just not a good fit for my daycare. Unfortunately it takes a lot of time and patience to find good people. I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Sometimes a picture of your play area might attract more people through daycare bear....or a picture of your backyard if you have nice toys back there.

The only suggestion I have is that your ad currently says
"I am looking to fill a full time spot for April 23rd, 2012"

That may be too specific. What about a parent who is looking for June or July?

Maybe word it a bit different and vaguely --like "We are looking for a new little friend to join our group starting in May or after".

Also...under your location you may want to remove your actual house number. Just give them the street name and city to start just for your own security. if they contact you for an interview then you can give them your house number.

Good luck :). think positive thoughts and keep on trying and they will come

Skysue
04-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I have had my ad up since end of January. I have ONE client. At first I was just starting for June, bc I'm done mat leave then and I need to be full. I'm starting to get nervous, so I've been gradually making my start dates earlier and earlier hoping I would get some bites. NOTHING. Two days ago I put an ad for April 23rd, NOTHING. Not even an inquiry! What am I doing wrong?! I've had 18 hits on my ad on Kijiji in 12 hours, and not ONE email. I got an email from a woman who found me on daycare bear, I emailed her back and never heard from her again. I'm starting to really panic. I have one client, and I'm getting hungry and anxious for more. I can't wait to have my daycare up and running! I don't understand why no one is even INQUIRING. Here's my ad - it's basically the same on Kijiji and daycarebear. My ad on here has a little bit more information.

"Full time spot available at Little Dreamers Home Daycare for April 23rd, 2012 in the Craig Henry area. Fees are $45/day, $225/week.

Visit my website for more information http://littledreamershd.wee bly.com/index.html

Hi there!
My name is Samantha Hardy and I am looking to fill a full time spot for April 23rd, 2012
Little Dreamers offers nutritious homemade meals, structured play, free play, creative play, outdoor physical activity, celebrations, picnics and so much more in a bilingual atmosphere!
For more information or for a showing, call me or email me. Please take the time to check out my website as well!

I look forward to hearing from you!"

There's a woman down the road who always has a full daycare and this ad is very simliar to hers, where I put the prices and such in the beginning. She charges $3 less a day than I do. I DON'T want to lower my price, and I don't think I have to. There a few daycares in my area and most of them are relatively the same price.

HELP!!!!!!

Personally I don't quote prices I disscuss them when they come for an interview!

Momof4
04-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I already told you that I think the picture of you is really cute, but then I started wondering if it is professional? Maybe a picture of you playing with the children would be better? Parents want to know that their child is in a safe place with people they can trust.

Reread your website as if you are a parent looking at it for the first time and think about what you would want to see there. Look at your pictures again as if you are a parent looking for the safest place for your child, no open windows, outlet plugs, wires, or any other safety issues. By the way your playrooms are awesome!

playfelt
04-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Samantha I see that you are in Nepean - I am in Orleans. Have you joined the CCPRN yet? They offer childcare connection meetings for parents and caregivers - sometimes it is more caregivers than parents but great for networking and free. Also parents that go to the CCPRN website can look in the database to find caregivers in their area so parents mind find you. The CCPRN offers workshops, access to diecutters, laminator, resources etc. Cost if $25 a year and so worth it. www.ccprn.com

sunnydays
04-06-2012, 06:05 PM
I second what Playfelt said; join CCPRN and go to the match meetings in your area. Also, if the children in the pictures on your website are daycare children (or one of them), parents may be nervous about their kids pics being posted on the web. I know other providers do this, but personally, I don't post pictures of the kids faces, but just their hands (rolling playdough etc) and feet etc. Also do you have your hours posted on your website...that could be another thing. Other than that, I think it may just be because you are new. It can be hard when you are starting out! Good luck to you!

Momof4
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh, you guys are so lucky to have a wonderful network in Ottawa & it's surrounding area.

If it helps I make up a picture permission form for all parents to sign giving permission for me to use their child's picture on my website and in my advertising and for local newspapers. I added the latter because I live downtown and the central park is a block away and has so many festivals during the summer months and I've been approached for pics of my dckids and had to say no, I don't have the parent's permission for that. So many times their children could have been pubished that they have all agreed to it, but I would always check credentials to make sure they were local media of course.

lilac
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Just want to say me too! I've had my ad up since Dec (when I found out 2 siblings who were supposed to return after I had my baby in Jan, werent returning) and Ive had a couple inquiries, but nothing, NOTHING..... and I know that I"m on the lower side of the spectrum in the neighbourhood when it comes to fees