PDA

View Full Version : Parents Asking for A Replacement Day for Having to Pay for Stat?

Sandbox Sally
04-06-2012, 04:29 PM
I have a family who is MTWF. Mom didn't pay me for the stat, and I had to tell her that I am paid for stats. She apologized and paid up, but on Thursday morning she called me and said that she thought is was only fair that she send dcg to my house on her day off, as she paid for Friday and can't send her.

I was on the spot, didn't have time to think, and said that I guessed that made sense, and that she could come. I can't figure out whether I did the right thing. Should I have let the dcg come, as they paid for four days but only got three? I kind of feel ripped off, to be honest. Maybe I shouldn't.

I won't always be able to accommodate this situation, though. I just happened to be one child down that day, and next Thursday before stat, I won't have room for her.

Should I email the mom and say that? Or should I just let it go?

dodge__driver11
04-06-2012, 04:39 PM
I am closed for all stats and never offer a "make up" day....If someone asks me this. I say "no go Joe"

I had someone ask me to stay open for thier regular rate, add I said no. I told her I could be open but it would be $100.00 on top of her rate, and she declined saying she'd find other care....She just needed incentive LOL

Also too if you do it once it will become an expectation

DaycareLulu
04-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I definitely wouldn't allow a make-up day. Did she get the day off with pay? If not her hubby probably did! Why shouldn't you? Why should you have to lose money just because there is a stat holiday! This is one of the reasons I don't take part-time daycare kids. It is always their parents who are asking for discounts. They need to realize there are lots of parents that will take that spot full-time and never think twice about having to pay for a stat.

Crayola kiddies
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
My parttime family paid for the stat even if it wasn't their regularly scheduled and it was never a problem and they never asked for a makeup day ....I would have said no

Momof4
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
How about this: I do sincerely apologize for my confusion when speaking to you on the phone but I was taken aback by your request and after serious consideration I have realized that I cannot accomodate your request. My contract clearly states the days my daycare is closed for stat/unpaid holidays and the Good Friday holiday is definitely listed as one of the closed paid days. I do work very hard, long days at my daycare and am a dedicated caregiver and when I have a long weekend to relax I come back to my profession rested and ready to give all of my efforts to the children.

Ok, just off the top of my head ideas for you to work with but feel free to take anything you want from my ideas and good luck.

Sandbox Sally
04-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Just to be clear, I did not open for her. I still took Friday off, but her daughter came on Thursday, and she normally does not. I consider them full time, as they are 4 days a week. They pay full time daily fees, which are cheaper than my part time daily fees. IMO, they can`t have it both ways. Thing is, how to justify to them that they don`t deserve an extra day of care just because they had to pay for my stat holiday.

My husband likened it to his boss paying him for the stat on Friday, and then telling him that because he was paid a day he didn`t work, he should come in on Sunday to make it up. Know what I mean...

jodaycare
04-08-2012, 10:52 AM
No way would I let them come an extra day for free because of a stat.

Sandbox Sally
04-08-2012, 11:01 AM
So what do I say? How do I word it?

playfelt
04-08-2012, 11:15 AM
If you are charging them a full fee for the week then she is technically entitled to bring her child all 5 days. The fact she "normally" only uses 4 days is a bonus to you. In this case she is in her right to bring the child on Thursday instead of Friday if she wants to.

Sandbox Sally
04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
If you are charging them a full fee for the week then she is technically entitled to bring her child all 5 days. The fact she "normally" only uses 4 days is a bonus to you. In this case she is in her right to bring the child on Thursday instead of Friday if she wants to.

See, this is something I couldn't figure out - whether I was being rational or not. Problem is, I only take four kids on any given day. I will not always be able to accommodate her on the Thursday. So, how do I word this?

DaycareLulu
04-08-2012, 01:27 PM
But you are not charging her for a full week where she is only using 4 of the days are you? You are letting her come four days a week and pay your full-time daily rate. She shouldn't be able to just switch her days because a stat falls on one of her normal days. I would say you will let it go this time but in the future she will not be able to switch her days because of a stat (partly because you are full those days, but mostly because it isn't her regular day and if one of her regular days falls on a stat she has to pay for it with out a make-up day. I think the way your husband describes it is right on!

Crayola kiddies
04-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Ok so I'm confused ... Is she paying for 5days or 4days at the 5 day fee .... For instance if your daily rate is $40 .... Is she paying $160 (4days) or $200 (5 days but only attending for 4) ..... If she is paying for 5 days then you really can't say no as she is paying for it but if she is paying for 4 days then no she doesn't get the extra day because essentially then you are not getting paid for the stat. if she wants to come for the extra day she has to pay for it.

Sandbox Sally
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
She is paying for 4 days but is being given the full time rate, which is ten dollars less a day than my part time rate. She pays for four days and attends four days. What the mom is saying is that if she is able to send her for four days, and she has paid for four days, why shouldn't she?

Sandbox Sally
04-08-2012, 02:24 PM
I really don't know...it's a tough one. No, I technically wouldn't have been paid for the stat, but is a stat about having a day off with pay, or is it about the day off simply falling on a work day? ugh...see it's so confusing to me.

Judy Trickett
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Nope. The entire point of a paid stat is for you to get a PAID day off. Parents are supposed to pay and , yes, lose that day of care. Gosh, it's IN the contract and it's not a hard concept to understand as most of the working world works this way.

I hate it when parents nickle and dime.

Inspired by Reggio
04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Nope ... you do not make up days here and you pay for stat holidays if they fall on your normally scheduled day!

Seriously part time clients are already getting 'special' consideration because they cost more to provide care to in the potential LOST INCOME if you cannot find someone to offset their schedule!

And in this case specially if you are charging her your daily full time rate when she is actually part time and you are loosing a days pay each week for the 'privilege' of providing service to her over another actual full time client ... why do clients have such a hard time GETTING this???

ETA seriously if she was FULL TIME how would she argue making up a 'day' that she missed?

Spixie33
04-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Just to be clear, I did not open for her. I still took Friday off, but her daughter came on Thursday, and she normally does not. I consider them full time, as they are 4 days a week. They pay full time daily fees, which are cheaper than my part time daily fees. IMO, they can`t have it both ways. Thing is, how to justify to them that they don`t deserve an extra day of care just because they had to pay for my stat holiday.

My husband likened it to his boss paying him for the stat on Friday, and then telling him that because he was paid a day he didn`t work, he should come in on Sunday to make it up. Know what I mean...

I totally agree with your hubby on this.

The stat fell on her regular day so it should therefore be payable.

Does your contract say that you get paid for stats?

I have never heard of a replacement day. I know 99% of people had Good Friday off paid and I doubt their bosses are asking them to come in on another day to make up for it. lol

I have PT families and if the stat falls on a day where they are contracted to bring their child - they pay. Someone who comes MTWF would pay for any monday or Friday stat as they come. I have some parents who are part time for MTW and I would charge them any Monday stat only but not a Friday.

The mom expecting a make up day is reaaaaaallllly wrong, hands down in my opinion.:rolleyes:

Spixie33
04-08-2012, 07:57 PM
She is paying for 4 days but is being given the full time rate, which is ten dollars less a day than my part time rate. She pays for four days and attends four days. What the mom is saying is that if she is able to send her for four days, and she has paid for four days, why shouldn't she?

But don't you have a written contract/rate/day agreement with her stating which 4 days she comes? they are not interchangeable if she signed to come specifically on MTWF

Crayola kiddies
04-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I agree .... If Friday was her normal day and she only pays for four days then the stat is a paid day off and no day is given for replacement. That parent is trying to pull a fast one.

mom-in-alberta
04-09-2012, 01:20 AM
I would not be giving her a replacement day. She is only paying for 4 days, yes. But she IS paying the lower rate, which you DO NOT have to offer her.
I would explain to her that you apologize for any confusion, as she caught you on an off-moment, but upon consideration, you cannot accomodate that extra day. You are sorry, but Friday was a statutory holiday, and as per your CONTRACT, you are closed. Although it is unfortunate that it fell on her regularly scheduled day, it was not originally agreed that you would "make up" those days. You have scheduled your other part time clients around her stated days of care, and are unable to change that, as you would then be over the agreed upon number of children in your care at any one time.
PS- you know she's going to do this for every stat, right? I suppose you could tell her that it's fine this one time, but in the future, you will NOT be swapping out days.
What do you think? Was she genuinely confused, or is she trying to squeeze every last bit out of you??

Sandbox Sally
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
They do restaurant work, so they do not get paid stats. I imagine, however, that they have to be paid time and a half or something, as it is the law. I will send her an email this week about what happened. mom-in-alberta, I think I might say EXACTLY what you said. :)

Thanks everyone.

Crayola kiddies
04-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Actually restaurant people do get Paid stats .....I worked in the restaurant business for 15 yrs .... If you have been working there longer then 3 months you get paid based on your average hours .... If you actually work on the stat day you get time and a half ....but she would have got paid

Spixie33
04-09-2012, 01:07 PM
They do restaurant work, so they do not get paid stats. I imagine, however, that they have to be paid time and a half or something, as it is the law. I will send her an email this week about what happened. mom-in-alberta, I think I might say EXACTLY what you said. :)

Thanks everyone.

Even if they don't get paid stats - if it is in your contract then they pay.

I had a job where I was self employed and worked from home for over a year and did NOT get paid stats but my daycare provider still expected me to pay her and so I had no choice and I did.

I really don't think you owe her anything but good luck with the mom :)

Momof4
04-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Well here's another example. Last year I changed my contract to take today (Easter Monday) off and one Mom was paying the usual weekly fee last year and asked about the payment since she had to work the day. I reminded her that it was my first year to take that day off paid and it's in the contract. I also reminded her that Family Day is a paid day off in my contract too but I have a client who works for the Federal government and she has to work that day.

So every year I remind parents to check the days off stated in the contract and double check if they have to book it off ahead of time with their employers if it isn't normally a day off for them. Don't let anybody make you feel guilty for setting out rules for your business. Stand firm!

mom-in-alberta
04-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Good luck, Alpha!!
And, they may get paid for stats... In Alberta, if you work on a stat (and it is a REGULARLY scheduled shift for you) you get regular pay PLUS time and a half. If you work and it's not a "usual" day for you, you get time and a half. And if you don't work, but it's a regularly scheduled shift for you, you receive normal pay for the average number of hours that you typically work.
So either way, they are likely getting something. But to be fair, I don't know if it differs in your province.

zen39
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM
No way. If she brought that child Thursday, I would send her an invoice stating she owes $$ whatever your daily full time fee is. She didn't come Friday, but that is her choice. Even if you decide to let this go, I would still tell her. For me it's always easier to say these things face to face, that way there can be no miscommunication. I would say, you pay for Mon, Tue, Thurs & Fri. These days are not interchangeable. If you need me care for Thurs, you need to pay in addition to the other 4 days. It's not a drop in service. Clearly state all your paid stat days and that payment for these is always required if your child attends on that day.

Good luck.