PDA

View Full Version : Rates

jec
04-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Just wondering if you ladies are comfortable telling me what rates are.
I charge $34 day with recites.
I know different areas have different rates but just wondering to see the industry itself

michellesmunchkins
04-12-2012, 08:40 AM
I charge $35 per day and give receipts as well. I charge the same rate for whatever age your child is, a spot is a spot. When I offer (and its not very often) a half day the rate is $25. My full time and part time rates are the same, which I'm thinking of changing. I am considering increasing my part time rates since families keep telling me its not easy to find someone who will take their child say 2-3 days per week instead of the full 5. Hope that helps. Oh and I'm in Ontario.

jec
04-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm in Ontario too ~ Peterborough to be more specific.
I only have full time spots ~ seems that Peterborough has a lot of part time needs verses full time. Just don't know if I want to get into the crazy of trying to stay in numbers while filling my spots.
Starting up my daycare in our new city has proven to take longer than it did when I lived in Brampton. I know it can be feast or famine when it comes to filling your spots but wondering if my rates are too high. I think I'm average around my area but when other providers post on kijiji they don't put their rates ??

michellesmunchkins
04-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm Oshawa Ontario. Rates around here range quite a bit. I've seen postings for as little as $20 a day up to about $40 a day here. I can't believe the amount of people that require the part time. I have very rarely been asked about a full time space. I only have 1 child who is full-time monday to friday. All the others are tues/thurs, mon/wed/fri. Its for sure hard for scheduling and ensuring that I'm never over my numbers. I would absolutely prefer to have 5 full time monday to friday kids but it just doesn't seem to be out there. So many people work weekends now and don't want to pay for daycare when they don't need it, which I fully understand.

jec
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Ummmmm
Seems I might have to change my full time only position :unsure:

My daycare provider when we had our 2 in her daycare must have LOVED us! I paid full fee when we had our second to ensure we didn't lose our spot and I was on mat leave ( and she only went once or twise a week to keep her in routine) Never got a change of rate for having 2 her in her care. If one of our girls had a sniff, I came and picked her/them up.
I understand not wanting to have to pay for a spot when your home and not working but as someone who did pay as my husband also had Friday's off and she never went .....so they only went Mon-Thurs and we paid full fee and full to hold her spot while on mat leave.
Guess we were the dumb ones...but no regrets as she was wonderful but ouch on the pocket book.

Guess...need to change my way of thinking. What we did doesn't mean everyone else is going to....

Crayola kiddies
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm in Ottawa and I'm 40/day full time I do charge more for part time but I don't have any part time kids right now, I have five full time.

michellesmunchkins
04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Ummmmm

My daycare provider when we had our 2 in her daycare must have LOVED us! I paid full fee when we had our second to ensure we didn't lose our spot and I was on mat leave ( and she only went once or twise a week to keep her in routine) Never got a change of rate for having 2 her in her care. If one of our girls had a sniff, I came and picked her/them up.
I understand not wanting to have to pay for a spot when your home and not working but as someone who did pay as my husband also had Friday's off and she never went .....so they only went Mon-Thurs and we paid full fee and full to hold her spot while on mat leave.
Guess we were the dumb ones...but no regrets as she was wonderful but ouch on the pocket book.

Guess...need to change my way of thinking. What we did doesn't mean everyone else is going to....

My husband and I did the same thing to hold our daughters spot. I didn't work summers, march break or christmas break but still paid full fees to keep her spot with her daycare provider. I too only sent her once or twice a week. I thought that was the norm..until I started doing home daycare...for my families on mat leave, they come twice a week at the minimum and my part time kids are a minimum of 2 days. I always picked my kids up at the slightest sniffle too but I don't call the parents to come for their kids unless its absolutely necessary. It amazes me the difference between some parents. I often ask myself why some families even chose to have children because when I meet with them I get the impression that they just can't be bothered with their kids...and then I meet with some on the flip side who are almost to the point of obsessed with their child...

ECE53
04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
I am in an Ottawa suburb, the going rate here is 45-50 a day . I charge 48.50 and it is for the spot, I don't really do part time etc....

Play and Learn
04-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I am in an Ottawa suburb, the going rate here is 45-50 a day . I charge 48.50 and it is for the spot, I don't really do part time etc....
Wowie! Where abouts? Kanata? Riverside South?

I'm outside of Ottawa - just south, and will be raising my rates to $37/day for f/t (5 days) and $42/day for p/t (3-4 days). $20 for before and after school or $15 for just one or the other.

playfelt
04-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Just got the CCPRN newsletter with the results of the rates survey and what a variation from area to area as well as within some areas. Statistics are always skewed depending on how people interpret questions and what is included in the fees. In my area of Orleans the rates were $28-45 a day but I know one caregiver that charges $28 does school age kids so before and after but has them over lunch and considers that full days.

Right now I am at $37 a day but will be going to $40 for new families starting this summer. I have one space I will devote to part time as I also have a 4 day child which means 2 families could each have 3 days each as long as they both use Monday which is what I have now but will be losing both part timers. So have to decide to keep it for two or just fill with one and have an easier monday which is tempting but at the same time the three day rate is more than 3 x my daily rate so worth it to fill with two families.

jec
04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Seems that rates aren't all the same in each area...
I'm the only one posted in Daycare Bear for my area and I can only go by what other's have told me and it seems that everyone here is all over the board. I guess based on what they offer too in regards to playroom on main level/basement and activities etc....

jec
04-12-2012, 12:08 PM
It amazes me the difference between some parents. I often ask myself why some families even chose to have children because when I meet with them I get the impression that they just can't be bothered with their kids...and then I meet with some on the flip side who are almost to the point of obsessed with their child...

We do meet all types in this business don't we! I always go with my 'Spider sense' and if I get the twinge that something isn't right..I always listen

Inspired by Reggio
04-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Ya the rates here range from $20 - $45 a day for full time depending on the area of the city you live in, the program you are offering - aka the lower end tends to be your 'illegal' programs with the $20 a day with no receipts and to be able to actually make a living they are 'warehousing' which is the term we tend to call those who care for more than 5 children legal allowed and this is very common in some areas and parents do not 'complain' because the service is cheap and they see it as 'their choice' and the government should mind their business about regulations and so forth the high end people tend to be the ones that live in the area of town were property taxes are very HIGH and the homes are larger and therefore the cost of operating a program is higher.

I am mid range at $32 for full time and $35 for part time .... however that is for the same rate 52 weeks of year regardless of attendance or me being open as it includes paid stats, 10 paid days of vacation for me and 10 paid personal days each year for me so in reality if you are comparing me to those who do not 'charge' for days they are closed than I am $35 for full time and $38 for part time.

ECE53
04-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Wowie! Where abouts? Kanata? Riverside South?

I'm outside of Ottawa - just south, and will be raising my rates to $37/day for f/t (5 days) and $42/day for p/t (3-4 days). $20 for before and after school or $15 for just one or the other.

Barrhaven, Riverside South is similar though.kanata is a little cheaper at 42-45/day.

jec
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
'warehousing' which is the term we tend to call those who care for more than 5 children legal allowed and this is very common in some areas and parents do not 'complain' because the service is cheap and they see it as 'their choice'
I've never heard this term before! Yes, there are quite a few of them. When I closed my Brampton daycare one of the little ones that was in my care went to a provider that had over 10 kids in her home at once!!! :eek: That did not include the after and before school kids.
There is a provider who lives around me that my daycare family tells me that she has 10-15 kids and mix of full time/part time and before and after school kids.
Crazy

Crayola kiddies
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM

Wow .... Your in barrhaven???? I'm just outside of barrhaven and I'm 40/day ..... I didn't realize you could get that kind of cash there ..... Yay for you hopefully it'll start going up in this direction. ; )

Lou
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
London, Ontario here and I charge $35/day whether they come full or part time. $30/day once they start J/K, $15/day for before and after school care and $10 for before OR after school care.

Inspired by Reggio
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Ya - think the term warehousing comes from the concept that when you have that many children in order to make sure that they do not kill each other they end up sitting on couches and chairs lined up in front of the boob tube like 'crates on a shelf' from drop off to pick up ... warehoused until the parents can get back to pick them up!

Not that there are not awesome people out there who can offer an enriching program to that many children .... when i worked in centre care I would have 12 preschoolers on my own for the first two hours or last two hours of the day so I know I could MANAGE that many children but the level of program would be confined to 'warehousing' every child would be doing the SAME GROUP THING ... so we still did 'stuff' it was just 'contained stuff' aka they were ALL sitting engaged in some adult directed group thing .... story time, science experiment, coloring or fidget toys at a table and chairs cause you just do not have enough EYES to allow that many children to FREE PLAY and expect them to stay safe!

jec
04-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks ladies ~ again I thank you for your time :flower:

Cadillac
04-12-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm in Toronto and my daily rate is $50-60 per day depending on how many hours you need. My half day rate is $30.

Play and Learn
04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
ECE53:

Wow .... Your in barrhaven???? I'm just outside of barrhaven and I'm 40/day ..... I didn't realize you could get that kind of cash there ..... Yay for you hopefully it'll start going up in this direction. ; )

Yea, I'm going to guess you're in Stonebridge....or one of the more pricey areas of Barfhaven! lol My nephew goes to one in Stonebridge, and they pay her $42 or 43 a day.

Mamma_Mia
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm in Toronto and my daily rate is $50-60 per day depending on how many hours you need. My half day rate is $30.

Really!?! What area of Toronto if you don't mind me asking? My sister-in-law is starting to look for care for my nephew and they are in the Etobicoke area and the highest she's told me about was $40/day FT.

Momof4
04-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm in London and I charge $30/day for full time and $33/day for part-time. In the fall when my contract renews I'm going up to $32/day full time and $35/day part-time and I'll probably stay at that rate for a few years. My main reason for keeping my rates low is that I rent an apartment and I don't have a fenced in yard, but we travel to parks all the time.

Mamma_Mia
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm Oshawa Ontario. Rates around here range quite a bit. I've seen postings for as little as $20 a day up to about $40 a day here. I can't believe the amount of people that require the part time. I have very rarely been asked about a full time space. I only have 1 child who is full-time monday to friday. All the others are tues/thurs, mon/wed/fri. Its for sure hard for scheduling and ensuring that I'm never over my numbers. I would absolutely prefer to have 5 full time monday to friday kids but it just doesn't seem to be out there. So many people work weekends now and don't want to pay for daycare when they don't need it, which I fully understand.

I'm in Whitby Ontario which is kinda wrapped around by Oshawa LOL and like MM said FT is pretty hard to find. EVERYONE is asking for PT..
I charge:
$35 FT 5 days a week
$37 3-4 days a week
$40 1-2 days a week

I don't want to deal with school runs yet so I don't offer it, when my own daughter starts school then I'll add it in. Out of all the interviews I've had only one last week has been for FT...eventually (see post) :D

Sandbox Sally
04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Really!?! What area of Toronto if you don't mind me asking? My sister-in-law is starting to look for care for my nephew and they are in the Etobicoke area and the highest she's told me about was $40/day FT.

Etobicoke isn't Toronto proper. It's not on the subway route, and that will make a big difference for people looking for care who work downtown. In nearly all of Toronto, the going rate for home daycare is 50-60 per day. I am in the west end of downtown, and I charge $55 per day for full time, and $65 for part time. I've seen full time rates in my area as high as $70.

Mamma_Mia
04-12-2012, 04:57 PM
@ Alphaghetti - ooooo gottcha!

Inspired by Reggio
04-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow - what is LICENSED care going for in Toronto these days cause IME licensed centre care tends to typically be $10-20 more a day than home care and if home care is going $50-60 / day no wonder centres are having to close cause who the hell could afford to be spending $80 a day or $400 a WEEK for licensed child care and have working be 'worthwhile' for the family?

You would have to be working a job that paid $30 / hour or MORE to have any income left after paying for childcare fees .... seriously a lot of women still tend to work in 'retail and service industries' where they are only making minimum wage is only what $10.25 / hour these days or maybe $12 an hour .... by the time you work a 32.5 hour week cause they never give you FULL TIME hours in those industries cause they you'd be entitled to benefits - you would be PAYING to go to work so why bother?

No offense but another reason why I could not live in TO or surrounding areas the inflated cost of living is just WHACK and the wages do not often reflect the COL ... I had friends who worked in CENTRE CARE in Missisauga and Toronto area and they onnly got paid like $0.80 an hour more than I did in KW and the housing, gas, and other cost of living was like HALF at the time ... not sure if it is still the same because KW has become a bloody extension of Toronto but still :(

Sandbox Sally
04-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow - what is LICENSED care going for in Toronto these days cause IME licensed centre care tends to typically be $10-20 more a day than home care and if home care is going $50-60 / day no wonder centres are having to close cause who the hell could afford to be spending $80 a day or $400 a WEEK for licensed child care and have working be 'worthwhile' for the family?

You would have to be working a job that paid $30 / hour or MORE to have any income left after paying for childcare fees .... seriously a lot of women still tend to work in 'retail and service industries' where they are only making minimum wage is only what $10.25 / hour these days or maybe $12 an hour .... by the time you work a 32.5 hour week cause they never give you FULL TIME hours in those industries cause they you'd be entitled to benefits - you would be PAYING to go to work so why bother?

No offense but another reason why I could not live in TO or surrounding areas the inflated cost of living is just WHACK and the wages do not often reflect the COL ... I had friends who worked in CENTRE CARE in Missisauga and Toronto area and they onnly got paid like $0.80 an hour more than I did in KW and the housing, gas, and other cost of living was like HALF at the time ... not sure if it is still the same because KW has become a bloody extension of Toronto but still :(

Yeah centre care is $75 or $80 per day from what I have heard. I don't really find it any more expensive to live in Toronto than anywhere else in Canada - the groceries are the same, the gas is the same, etc. The cost to purchase a home is fairly ridiculous, but this is true of any large city in the "civilized" world, whether it be here in North America, or in England.

I disagree that you aren't paid to reflect the cost of living. I know many different types of workers, and all of them are paid more living and working here in Toronto than they are/would be in say, North Bay or any other smaller town.

ETA: Also, pretty much everyone qualifies for subsidy if they choose to go the licensed route. I know a family who made above six figures and they still qualified for a sizable amount of help for licensed care.

It's all relative, imo. We could have a larger home with a bigger yard if we moved to the burbs, but we quite like living here in the city where everything is nearby. I guess you pay for amenities and conveniences.

Inspired by Reggio
04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Y...I disagree that you aren't paid to reflect the cost of living. I know many different types of workers, and all of them are paid more living and working here in Toronto than they are/would be in say, North Bay or any other smaller town.....

Sorry I should clarify - I was speaking in terms of childcare ... the staff wages in centres in Mississauga and Toronto are not comparable to the VAST difference in fees being charged to clients ... aka for centres to be charging almost $30 a DAY more than neighboring KW is just a little shocking to me ... I know peers working in TO who are only making between $12-15 / hour which is the SAME wage as KW in fact in many cases it is LESS than centres in KW ... so since staff fees make up 80% of a centres budget and the staff are paid relatively the same in both regions .... why are the FEES so much more in TO - just boggles my mind is all?

Mamma_Mia
04-12-2012, 07:42 PM
No offense but another reason why I could not live in TO

My husband and both grew up in TO and my parents moved out of the city when I was 15 and inlaws moved out of the city 4yrs ago. Living there for the most of my life and now having lived in Pickering & now Whitby I'd NEVER move back! I have everything I could need and want within walking distance still (lucky location) but the peace and space of the 'burbs!! Also having a house that isn't falling apart or 90yrs old that is detached! with storage, has parking for 4 cars, a 2 car garage, a very large yard AND is 1/2 the cost of some people I know who wouldn't.leave.the.c ity's.house just makes me SMILE!! :D

((SO not aiming at you Alpha :p))
My BIL has a garbage of a place too small to have anyone over and pays quite a bit more each month for it + has to get parking permits for thier street IF they get a spot, has to rent a untit for storage and still tries to tell me that living in TO is "better" when he's 99% of the time over at MY place!! It just rattles a nerve with me re: him & TO worth the extra $$ <eyeroll> LOL

Littledragon
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I am also looking for 4 full timers but i know thats unrealistic so I came up with a plan - anyone who comes for more than 5 hours 3-5 days a week pays $45 a day. Anyone who comes less than 5 hours 3-4 times a week pays $10 per hour (if they're here four hours, they pay the daily rate anyways) and no less than three days otherwise it's just not viable for my business. Since legally, if you work retail or what have you, you're paid 3 hours regardless of whether you worked less, I charge a minimum of 3 hours. When people are desperate for spots, they'll do just about anything. I had one family put their one year old in my care without calling my references, and paid my rate without question bc i live a 3 minute walk from their home. If they want you, they want you. It's their kid. Charge what you feel comfortable charging and don't worry about whether or not it's too much - worry only that it is too little. After all, this is a business, and is the majority of the reason why we're doing it. Don't sell yourself short. If you're worth it, they'll pay.

Sarah
04-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Also in Toronto and I charge between 50 and 60 (depending on the age and schedule)

TO is... beautifully ...expensive! But wouldn't go anywhere else! I am a definite beacher and Torontonian! My oh poor patriotic family is urging me to come back to their beloved Québec, but my soul is in the beach! hahahaha!

Yeah TO!

Cadillac
04-13-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm in the beaches area. Etobicko is the other side of the city. I've seen rates as high as $75 per day but I think that is completely ridiculous.

Cadillac
04-13-2012, 07:36 AM
It's so true that they say when you come to the beaches you NEVER leave. It is beautifully expensive and the best place to have and take care of children. There is never a loss for outdoor activities.

When are we having our playdate Sarah?

Cadillac
04-13-2012, 07:41 AM
This is part of the reason I decided to open a daycare instead of going back to work. I would never be able to afford daycare on my wages. I make more now as a provider then i EVER did as a counselor.

But you have to realize that you get what you pay for. Toronto gives you everything you need within a block or two radius as well as providing you with any type of neighborhood you could ever dream of living in and that sort of convenience costs.

Cadillac
04-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Sorry I should clarify - I was speaking in terms of childcare ... the staff wages in centres in Mississauga and Toronto are not comparable to the VAST difference in fees being charged to clients ... aka for centres to be charging almost $30 a DAY more than neighboring KW is just a little shocking to me ... I know peers working in TO who are only making between $12-15 / hour which is the SAME wage as KW in fact in many cases it is LESS than centres in KW ... so since staff fees make up 80% of a centres budget and the staff are paid relatively the same in both regions .... why are the FEES so much more in TO - just boggles my mind is all?

Yees you are right - but you have to into consideration that insurance, taxes, rent/mortgage, hydro, and all the other extra costs of running the business outside of the home

Without charging those rates and paying the workers more the business would not be sustainable

Inspired by Reggio
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
...Without charging those rates and paying the workers more the business would not be sustainable

True ... centre care is not sustainable anyway specailly with the full day early learning coming into play taking the 4-5 year olds out of their programs ... there are too many rules that drive up the cost unnecessarily and to many middle men drawing large salaries and not providing 'direct service' to clients this is why centres are closing all across Ontario ... and TORONTO and a few other larger cities are being hardest hit from what I have read online :(

I know in London they have lost over 350 licensed childcare spaces in the past two years as full day early learning as been implemented at more and more schools - hate to see the full impact by 2015 ... although sad for centres it is good business for us cause those clients need care SOMEWHERE ;)

playfelt
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I too feel bad for the centres in the sense that it isn't anything they are doing that is causing the closures and that they are between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes but yeah gotta secretly be cheering cause those kids will be coming to us. It also allows our rates to go up as long as they stay less than the centre rates so that too is a bonus for us - supply and demand at work.

Sarah
04-13-2012, 01:25 PM
It's so true that they say when you come to the beaches you NEVER leave. It is beautifully expensive and the best place to have and take care of children. There is never a loss for outdoor activities.

When are we having our playdate Sarah?

When I first came in TO, I was a nanny in the beaches. I did it to learn english! When I went back to Québec, I missed it here soooooo much! I had to come back! We are looking for houses, the price is crazy. We own a house in QC that is worth 145000 but here, that same house with its land, would be 2 millions in the beaches for sure!

To me, it's like being in a huge city (with all of its pros) but without all the cons (in the beaches) A small city in a huge city! Or a leisure destination in a huge city! This is how I see the beaches!

Playdate? Where are you located about?

Sandbox Sally
04-13-2012, 01:44 PM
My west end community (Junction Triangle) also very much has that small community feel. We organize community clean ups, have park dinners, etc. It's great! I feel like I have it all!

samantha3
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
I am in Vancouver and rates can be anywhere from 50-70/day. Quite high especially considering most of it is not quality care!

Momof4
04-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Cadillac and Sarah, my son lives in the beaches, on Lee Ave. near Queens. I LOVE that area of Toronto! I'll wave at you the next time I get to visit him!

cfred
09-19-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm in Newmarket and charge $39.00/day with receipts. I raise my rates every year or 2 by $1/day as is standard in daycare centres. I also offer sick days to parents to stay more competitive. Sick days are issued in direct proportion with the number of days per week a child is enrolled. Full time gets 5 days/yr, 2 days/wk gets 2 days/yr. I never charge for my vacation time apart from Stats that fall during that time.

Monday 2 Friday Mama
09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Ummmmm

@ jec - hi there, I'm a caregiver located in Ottawa. I'm not sure what the industry norms are in your area, but you shouldn't feel that you got a raw deal. Quite the oppostite actually. I think your caregiver was very fair with you. It's almost impossible financially for a caregiver to hold a spot for someone for an entire year. (you're looking at over 10,000 lost income) I've been asked about this by families and I just can't do it. I certainly encourage parents to contact me when they are ready to return to work, and if I have a space available I'm more than happy to welcome them back, but I simply cannot leave a space open for an entire year. :no:The other risk with keeping spots empty for families who are home on mat leave is that frequently Mum's will change their mind about going back to work - then I'm left scrambling to fill a space. While I appreciate the need for families to have a "back up" plan it doesn't make planning easier for me. Not good ! As far as your wish for a "family discount" goes....again I've been asked about this one and I try to explain it to parents this way: both children are going to eat lunch, participate in crafts and other special activities, and both children will require a playpen/crib/bedding to sleep in, as well as various other "stuff" no matter whether they are here 4 days or 5 days - hence why I cannot offer a reduced rate. I run an excellent program and it's absolutely beneficial for the babies to do all the neat things that I offer - however, these activites cost money and I cannot offer them if I don't have the financial fluidity to fund them. :) This logic can also can be applied to your desire for a reduced rate since your child was only attending daycare for four days a week. Under Ontario law caregivers can only care for a maximum of 5 children. If your little one is here for 80% of the time, I think we could both agree that it would be very hard to find a parent who only needs daycare for that one day each week when your child is not here. By giving you a discount you're saving 120 to 150 dollars a month - but it comes out of my bottom line. Again, it comes down to making sound business decisions - because while we love children, being a caregiver is a profession like any other and we need to make sure that we're making good economic decisions. One last thought, while it is lovely for parents to have both children in the same daycare, it can be perilous for the caregiver. If you leave their care, that caregiver has lost close to half of her income (assuming that she is caring for 5 children) It requires a lot of trust on the caregivers behalf to allow one individual that much influence/affect on their income. I personally prefer to spread my eggs out in different baskets. ;)

Other Mummy
05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
This is a great thread.. I'm in Toronto, but I am located in North York/bordering Scarborough. My full time rate is $35/day. Part time rate is $38/per day.

Brooke91
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Quick question about rates also?

I have a lady that has a 3.5 yr old and wants care for 2 days durring the week.

One day 11-2 and the other 11-5.. Should I just charge my daily rate?

playfelt
05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
I would be charging my daily rate and explain to her that she is paying for the space for that day to be available to her. At the same time don't be surprised if she starts bringing them earlier and then having some free time to herself which not much we can do about since she is paying for the space.

daycaremum
05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Momof4, I am from your area, and your rates are not low. I'd say they are about average.

Momof4
05-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Momof4, I am from your area, and your rates are not low. I'd say they are about average.

Well, there are the "babysitters" of course who charge $20/day and put the children in front of a tv all day, but most great quality caregivers in my city charge $35-$40/day. Thankfully, I've always had children who don't eat much so my food costs are under control and my utilities are included in my rent so my expenses are low. So I'm happy with my rates for now.

AmandaKDT
05-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I have a government funded and licensed home daycare so my rates are set by the government. I charge the parents $21.30 a day for infants (0 to 2 years old) and $17.30 a day for preschool age (2 to 5 years old) and $8.65 a day for before and after school. I do not provide lunch or snacks with this rate. I get an operating grant from the government on a quarterly basis to bump up the amount I get paid - gives me about another $450 a month.

People that run a private or unfunded home daycare here charge $30 a day, haven't seen anyone charge any more than that. It always includes lunch and snacks.

SongSparrow
05-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Hi, I'm in Nova Scotia and have a home daycare. I charge $25 per full day and $15 per half day 4 hours or less. My rates include snacks and lunch. Rates in my area run from about $22 to $30 per day. There are currently no centres here that provide infant care so I'm not sure what the norm would be. I charge the same regardless of age in my home, but I know the centres in the city do charge more for infants.
Welcome :) I am new to the boards as well and am enjoying all the great information from the providers here!