PDA

View Full Version : Filled a spot!! <<happy dance>>

Mamma_Mia
04-12-2012, 04:39 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

AND its a FT one.....eventually lol

DCG is only 6mos old right now and is very scared of anyone except mom or dad. Even grandparents...or loud noises (yikes). So mom was asking if I'd be willing to ease the transition. First 2-3 consecutive visits for 1-2hrs with mom here then for one month 1 day a week....one month 2 days a week...one month 3 -4 days a week then FT in September.

As crazy as it seems I agreed to it and considering that fact she's looks like a crying all day long kinda kid (but a total sweetie), I'm hoping this will help. If I didn't have the extra 'free' space & time I wouldn't agree to this but I only have my own DD, a 3 days and my 2days is asking for only 1 day a week (what a waste) so in my mind it works out. Oh and this way I don't have to worry about holding the spot fees....

We(I) really need more income so if I could find one more FT or a 3 days a week kiddie we'd be good. Aaaaaaaand the search continues..

But for now I'm doing my little happy dance :D

Sandbox Sally
04-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Congrats! Very very happy for you.

little rascals
04-12-2012, 05:17 PM
That's great news!

Inspired by Reggio
04-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Congratulations on the filled spot!

I love to wean children in myself so would not mind the 'slow ease in' between now and September for the right family ..... however my unsolicited advice would not to do the one day a week FULL DAY with a child who is already exhibiting anxiety with GRANDPARENTS who have been in her life since birth - imagine how hard a total stranger is going to be for a whole day :(

8-9 hours is a VERY long time to be crying if she is that 'sensitive' she is likely not going to be 'consolable' by a stranger so it is going to be HARD CRYING :(

Personally I have more success with that type of child is they come EVERY DAY but for a short period so that the child can learn within a reasonable time frame that the parent always returns and in the meantime you will meet her needs and keep her safe ... I generally have the clients come for daily visits at different times of day and STAY on the property with the infant - we discuss before hand the 'time line' for the parent to return if the babe is crying so 20 minutes to 30 minutes of me 'trying' to console and redirect and if I CANT than the parent will return to the room ... and than we will try again the next day with the parent leaving the room but staying within ear shot and I will try again to 'console' child and we keep extending the time before parent returns. Next phase is to do the parent OFF SITE so I am flying solo to try to console but still in that 'shorter' time frame if they have been crying. I would prefer to have the child all 5 days for an hour or two initially but as a minimum 3 alternating days ... two hours is plenty of time for all involved to have to COPE if she is crying the whole time she is there ... I find that when I do it that way the child is much quicker to bond and we wean up longer and longer days until by the time we get to being left a full day while there may be 'some' tears during transitions or busy times of day when anxiety seeps back in - it is not all day long or inconsolable crying for long periods so the 'new babe' is not stressful on the WHOLE group myself included - cause I HATE crying if I had to listen to it for FULL DAY ALL DAY I think my head would pop off from the stress of it :(

Mamma_Mia
04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks <Inspired by Reggio>.....it makes total sence, I'll pitch it to the mom :D

Littledragon
04-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Thank God mom was smart enough to do that! I have a 1 year old, and mom waited till three weeks before she went back to work to look for care. I'm on week 4 and he's FINALLY stopped crying. He too is afraid of EVERYTHING. Totally indulged at home, never been babysat by anyone else. It was BRUTAL. Today was the first day he didn't cry, the first day I was allowed to leave the room. You should take a few hours in the day where you spend time with JUST her tho, eventually. BC if mom's there, she'll never get used to YOU. You need that bonding time with her. Good for you though! Getting started is SO exciting. I have my second interview tomorrow and I'm SO nervous but SO excited!

Littledragon
04-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Sorry i just read what reggio said. Totally true. EVen though the little boy is comfortable here now, after the four day weekend, his first day here was a disaster. Cried most of the day. If the baby goes to your place everyday, even if it's just for an hour, it'll be SO much better!

mom-in-alberta
04-14-2012, 02:21 AM
Congrats!! Don't stress too much. A LOT can change in terms of temperment in the next 5-6 months. And it sound like you will be doing what you can to ease the little one. Good luck!! :D