PDA

View Full Version : Paying to hold a spot?

samantha3
04-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello,

I have a spot that I am aware of coming up for Sept 2012. I have had a family who I currently care for give me a referral of a new child who is going to fill the spot.

Would you charge the family each month until they start a fee to hold the spot? I have had someone suggest this to me and am not sure if this is something that I would want to do as I am already collecting income for this spot?

Help?! Thoughts? :)

Thank you:)

Sandbox Sally
04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I charge 20% of my weekly fees, so one day's care fees per week. They have the option of either sending their child one day per week or just giving me the money. If it's for this amount of time, I would charge two days per week's fees. That's a long time to ask a care provider to go without full time fees.

Inspired by Reggio
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
If I currently have a child IN the spot than no I would not charge a holding fee - IMO you are not truly 'holding' the spot in this case you are doing what I call 'pre-booking' a future spot ... so I would have the prospective client wanting to join in September sign the contract with a' tentative start date of September X to be confirmed as soon as you know the EXACT last day of the current child and pay a 'security deposit' on the spot to show their commitment towards it that is non refundable unless X amount of notice is given or some people will not refund the deposit at all it can only be applied to the 'last two weeks of care' so if the child NEVER starts for some reason they do not get the deposit back.

michellesmunchkins
04-13-2012, 03:52 PM
If I currently have a child IN the spot than no I would not charge a holding fee - IMO you are not truly 'holding' the spot in this case you are doing what I call 'pre-booking' a future spot ... so I would have the prospective client wanting to join in September sign the contract with a' tentative start date of September X to be confirmed as soon as you know the EXACT last day of the current child and pay a 'security deposit' on the spot to show their commitment towards it that is non refundable unless X amount of notice is given or some people will not refund the deposit at all it can only be applied to the 'last two weeks of care' so if the child NEVER starts for some reason they do not get the deposit back.

Exactly. You are not technically holding the spot since you really don't have it available until September. For sure get a security deposit. People are full of good intentions that never pan out and if they decide for whatever reason not to take the spot in sept you have 2 weeks worth of income to find someone else too :)

samantha3
04-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I think that sounds like the best option! I know of another family childcare provider who charges to take the spot, but it just seems extreme to me to be charging the family money when they would not even be able to attend!? Crazy, right? lol

michellesmunchkins
04-13-2012, 04:02 PM
It doesn't seem right to me either, but then again I'm one of those honest ones who gets taken advantage of haha. Congrats on filling your spot :)

Inspired by Reggio
04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I personally could not charge a client a fee for holding a space that another child is currently in and I am earning income on - that just seems dishonest :(

Dayhome Mamma
04-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I personally could not charge a client a fee for holding a space that another child is currently in and I am earning income on - that just seems dishonest :(

Yes, I agree. Its totally sneaky and dishonest. I charge a holding fee only if I know I have the spot available in the following month or two which I could be filling and the parents are not ready for that start. But it also depends on how much I need the income. a $300/deposit each month is not worth doing if I could be making my full amount.

Sandbox Sally
04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry! I wouldn't ask for a holding fee either, if someone was already in that spot. I misunderstood. I hope none of you thought that I would do something like that.

I would however get a signed contract, and two weeks' non refundable deposit. :)

Momof4
04-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh I only charge a holding fee with the space is empty too. Don't worry Alpha, I'm sure you're doing the right thing. I had this situation arise last year where I had 2 empty spaces for a few months and it sucks!

Inspired by Reggio
04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm sorry! I wouldn't ask for a holding fee either, if someone was already in that spot. I misunderstood. I hope none of you thought that I would do something like that.

I would however get a signed contract, and two weeks' non refundable deposit. :)

No worries - based on previous posts on the topic you'd responded too I assumed you'd read the scenario quickly and missed the part about the child still being in the spot until September with your initial response about holding fees ;)