PDA

View Full Version : Wohooo I have another family...

Cocoon
04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
...wanting to place their kids under my care. :) Good news eh(as the Canadians say:) )

But there is a problem. One of my current families told me that they will stop bringing their son in September due to relocation. So I advertised and got few families interested and told the current family to give me a rough date so that I can tell this to my potential clients. She said they are not sure that they want to remove their son as it is difficult to find a good day home and they can't say anything yet as it is still 6 months until they relocate. This family is part time and the new family asking full time. If you remember one of my previous post that I was looking to bring extra income. So with the new family I don't have to worry about finding extra money.

What should I do? Shall I let my current family go and take on full time family or stick with the current family and let them decide whether they want to stay or leave. Hubby says run your business like a business. Nothing personal.

Thanks in advance.
Cocoon

Mamma_Mia
04-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm guessing you can't have both at the same time?

samantha3
04-13-2012, 04:03 PM
That is a tough call! I am having a similar situation (family going on mat leave but not sure of what month yet so it is hard to fill the spot with no set date!).

I would personally do what is best for your business. It will be tough asking them to leave so maybe you can talk to them and see if you can work out a mutual date for the child's last day so it will work for both of you. Does this p/t family have a backup childcare plan?

Inspired by Reggio
04-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Oh this is that TOUGH one for us for sure .... part of run your business like a business is customer service, loyalty and creating positive word of mouth about your business.

As providers we constantly complain on forums and in networking sessions about those clients who give us BARE MINIMUM notice of termination depsite having known for months that they were moving, getting a job transfer, pregnant or what not and as a result that 'two weeks notice' is not leaving us time for find clients without a loss in income .... however in cases like this where the client has be honest and given LOTS of notice that they are going to have to leave cause they are moving out of your area it seems a shame that they could potentially get burned for being honest by getting terminated early before they are prepared to leave and in the middle of the stress of the relocation - specially if they have been GOOD clients all this time ... this is where that business loyalty to a customer and word of mouth about business comes in ... every time a provider terminates a client soley for a 'better client' because you know they are leaving anyway is WHY so many clients give 'bare minimum notice' to other providers ... they hear from other parents who use daycare 'do not tell your provider you are leaving until the last possible moment or she might terminate you on the spot for a replacement client' ... and we all pay the price for that :(

Ultimately your business and your choice ... but for me once I have made a commitment to a client unless they do something that is grounds for termination under my contract I would not terminate just 'because' they were moving, or pregnant or about to be heading to school or any of those reasons why we would no 'in advance' that the relationship was coming to an end soon ... I personally would explain to the prospective client that you were advertizing f or a 'future space' but the space is not YET available and you will not be 100% sure when as the currently client is still in the process of relocation and has not secured a new provider and that they will give you the formal notice when that time occurs .... if they cannot 'wait' and need immediate care than they were not 'meant' to be IMO and I would keep looking for a client who needs care 'down the road' to fill the space.

Dayhome Mamma
04-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I think in the end you have to remember to do what is best for you. Is there anyway to have them both under your care for these next few months until that child leaves in september? I should back track a little, would this new family be starting in september? or much sooner? If it is for september than I would tell the relocating one that "due to the knowledge of their potential leave in september you had to ensure your continued financial stability and had to make a decision to accept a new Family under your care for that time Frame. So their last month of care would therefore have to be x.........
Because you just can't have things all up in the air. Its not fair to you. Parents are often just thinking about themselves and what is best for them and their child. But you have to think about you and whats best for your income. This just forces them to have a more concrete exit date so that they DO start looking and don't spin your life and income into the unknown closer to their moving time. The way I see it is you have to think ahead of their plans. You haven't been put on this planet to work just for them. Ideally I would try to be fair and care for their child until they actually moved, so that they could start at the new daycare the same month that they'd be starting to live in their new place.
But I do like Inspired by Reggio's points.

Momof4
04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
It's true the families will always do what is best for them, so we have to learn to think as business women and the income we need to earn and do what is best for us. We can't always think with our hearts. But you do want to be up front and professional and make sure you are making a solid decision. Give the old family lots of notice if you let them go to be fair. I admit that I am like Reggio and stick with families to the end, which is usually JK, because I believe in loyalty, but sometimes you have to make difficult decisions.

Cocoon
04-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Girls, I think I left out the important part. When I interviewed the new family I told them that my current family is leaving in September so I won't be able to take them on and the new family wanted to start in August but they can wait for a month until the current family moves. I would never leave anyone in difficult situation and would never punish people cause they are honest.

The thing is the current family can't say/don't wanna say anything re: leaving date in fact when we talk last time she said that there is a big possibility that they will still bring their son here as they are not moving far:confused:
By the way, their contract is ending in July.

I kind a lost my trust in them as they might come and say good bye after of course giving me the notice but then I will loose this new family.

Momof4
04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Then maybe you should write a letter to your current family stating the final date they can receive care and if you sign a contract with the new family make sure you have the start date clearly stated. That way it is all clear for both families.

Inspired by Reggio
04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Hmmm - that is a tough one Cocoon - they are not being fair with the 'wishy washy' nature.

I recently had an issue with a mat leave parent who was waffling about going on mat leave early or waiting for babe to arrive and sending older sibling for a few weeks ... I had to finally just go to her and say 'I have a prospective client lined up to take the space you are vacating they are wanting to start on X date - I need you to decide what your plan is because I would hate to loose out on a potential match for the program but I do not want to leave you in a lurch either" .... they were awesome and apologized for the waffling and committed to be done for the Friday before the family wanted to start.... sometimes just being honest and telling clients what we need from them in a heartfelt way is all it takes ... perhaps just explaining to the current family that you are in a difficult position because they told you they were leaving so you took steps to protect your income and find a replacement for them and you have - so therefore you need them to commit to the original termination date of September?

mom-in-alberta
04-14-2012, 01:53 AM
Yup, be honest with them. Let them know that you understand that they aren't sure, but unfortunately, from your point of view, you can't just "wait and see". You need to know, because you have a family lined up that could be filling that space. I would give them a week to decide, and let that other family know that the situation is dependent upon the choice. Then you can move forward.
I don't think that it's a "putting your foot down" situation, where you need to get mean or anything. They probably just haven't thought about it from that point of view. And it's not unfair to ask for a yes or no.
PS- good work on the Canadianish, eh?? ;)
And congrats on the interest in your daycare space!

playfelt
04-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I f you have an annual contract the comes up for renewal then that totally gives you an out and you can let them know that given the uncertainty of their situation that you will not be renewing their contract in July but will continue to offer week by week service until the new family starts and give the date. Tell them that you have loved looking after child XXX and are sorry to see them go but since daycare is your source of income you need to protect the integrity of the program by signing on children that will remain in the program. ie when they move although they say they will stay and they may be limiting their house hunting area so they can stay. If nothing else it will let the family know that you need committments. If you do let the family resign then they also need to provide a security bond of sorts just in case they change their minds.

Momof4
04-14-2012, 10:23 PM
I renew my contract every Nov. 1st as playfelt mentioned. It's because I'm still learning so much every year and I always have changes and updates and write a letter to all the parents a couple months before the contract renews to warn them of any major changes and ask them to talk to me ahead of time if they have any issues with my changes. So far nobody has every questioned my policies or changes.

Be fair and give the families warning and you will never have any problems when they respect and appreciate you as part of the team raising their child.