PDA

View Full Version : What type of residence do you operate out of?

samantha3
04-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am looking at moving my daycare to a new location and am having a hard time finding a house to rent (renters hear daycare and seem to run!). Just wondering if you own/rent, and if so out of what (house, apt, condo etc...).

Thanks for the information!!!

:D

Sarah
04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I rent a house. Landlord agreed but was anxious about daycare! Well I am a house owner (not in the same town) and rent it to other people, and I would be scared also! Some people take care of their houses, others don't. So I get the landlords point!

But there is hope, you can find something!

Momof4
04-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I rent an apartment but it is 2 storeys and basically the back half of a house. My biggest problem is that I don't have a fenced in yard, just a green space where I have my outside slides and other play equipment. I know that there are people who pull into the parking lot and look around and form a bad opinion so I always ask them to wait until they are inside so they can meet me and learn about my program and how I run the daycare before doing that.

The people who are with me are the types who look below the surface and see the value in what I offer. I can tell the snobs or people who only see the surface as soon as they come in my door and try to shorten the interview instead of wasting my time. In our city there is a bylaw that 25% of a rental unit can be used as a business, so check into your city zoning bylaws.

If I were in a house I don't think I would even tell people whether I rented or owned it. But where I live it is obvious that I rent.

Crayola kiddies
04-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Me and the bank own a 3500 sq ft bungalow

fruitloop
04-15-2012, 10:41 AM
We live in a 1600 sq ft house. Are you looking to rent something just for daycare or do you plan on living in the house you're looking to rent?

Inspired by Reggio
04-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Ya - we own or as Crayola more accurately depicted the BANK and us own our home ;)

My advice is that regardless of where you are moving to you - rental or ownership - definitely have to make sure it is ZONED for a home based business and how many square footage can be used for 'business' if it is a residential home ... for example in my home town the general bi-law on residential areas is that you can only use 25% of your home as a 'dedicated space' for a home based business.

Also if you are planning on operating in an apartment or condo make sure THEIR bi-laws, which might be different than the 'cities', allow for home based business as well - I had a peer who OWNED a condo and thought she was fine to do home childcare in it as per the city bi-laws only to find out that the condo bi laws prohibited ANY home based business being operated out of it ... when someone complained about the additional traffic in the shared parking lot and she got caught she was faced with the choice of closing or moving after just having got started :(

Often so many rules and things to think about that well unless you have 'been there and done that' you might not THINK to worry about :(