PDA

View Full Version : Hiring an employee for a month or 2

Sarah
04-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Hello,

I have a home daycare in ON. I was wondering, if I want to hire an employee to replace me for a month or 2, does any of you have any infos on how to proceed, what kind of information I should be checking before doing so, any legal advice.

I know financially I wont make any money during these 2 months, but what if I don't want to lose my clients but HAVE to take these 2 months off for a medical reason?

Anything would be welcome!

Momof4
04-15-2012, 09:39 PM
If I were in your shoes I would definitely call Canada Revenue help line 1-800-361-3223 or Services Ontario Business Info Line is 1-888-745-8888 and check into everything so you can file your taxes properly because this should be a write off for you at the end of the year. But you might have to register with them for a Business Number with CRA if you have an employee even for a short time. Then they can tell you what you have to do about a short-term employee regarding things like your payroll and other things. Don't take our advice, check with the professionials on all this!

Also, I hope you are ok and heal quickly whatever your health issues may be. Take care of yourself.

Sarah
04-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Oh thanks! You see I didn't even know of Ontario Business info line! I will for sure call them both.

Anythiing else I should verify? Do I need to notify my insurance? Is there any city by laws that states I cannot have an employee? I don't know anything... Don't know where to call.

Thanks for your help

Inspired by Reggio
04-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Yes - you need to notify your insurance carrier if you have an employee on site for sure - it could affect your premiums and there are different standards of coverage for customer liability verses employee liability in the workplace.

As Momof4 mentioned ... being the employer you would be responsible for the CPP, EI, Vacation pay and other contributions during that time frame - although since this is a 'short term' thing verses a permanent employer thing CRA might be able to point you in the direction of an employment contract wording where you as the employer agree to pay the employee MORE in wages to cover the CPP, EI and other employer contributions and they remit it themselves at tax time...I know a few people who've done it that way.

Momof4
04-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Sarah, when I had questions about zoning bylaws I called the zoning department at our city hall. We can go on london.ca to see all of the zoning laws online. Try typing your city with .ca and see if it works, otherwise call your city hall.