PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Cocoon
04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
I have a parent informed me that her child is still fighting with cold and he coughs and his chest wizzes when he breath. He had a runny nose last week and still has. She also said he seems OK. he plays and act normal. She is asking whether she shouold bring him or not.

Now, I have a cold because of this kid and I have another dck is coming tomorrow as well. So should I tell her to keep him at home or bring here? I have a runny nose too but not bad at all and I don't cough or feel sick at all. What would you do? I don't want other child to get the cold.

Thanks

Skysue
04-17-2012, 12:07 PM
With colds really what can you do? Everyone has already been exposed to what he has. If he doesn't have a fever than he should be fine to come back. That cough could last a week to a month depending on his immune system.

Sandbox Sally
04-17-2012, 12:17 PM
If his chest is wheezing, this means that his airway is constricted, and who knows how much? I'd tell her to take him to see the doctor. I'd be nervous to take a wheezing child.

Lou
04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
If it were just the cold I would have him come because someone almost always has at leasta touch of a cold...nothing you can really do. But because of the wheezing I would be more concerned for the child in question and request that he see a doctor first before returning.

michellesmunchkins
04-17-2012, 12:59 PM
I had one here last week who started wheezing on me on the friday. He ended up in the hospital for 4 days with bronchitis. Thankfully, his parents took him to a DR. He was happy, playful and ate like normal on friday. I just noticed this his breathing was NOT normal. Wheezing makes me nervous, they are so little that it doesn't take much. This poor guy was on oxygen and everything for days :(

mom-in-alberta
04-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Yup, the thing that would concern me is his wheezing. I have a child (of mine) with asthma. When he starts to audibly wheeze, it's almost a guarantee that his oxygen levels are down into the 80's (which is not good).
I would ask mom to get that issue checked out first.
If it was just the cold, there's not much that you can do. Part of the "hazards" of both running a daycare, and having your kids in childcare.

sunnydays
04-17-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree about the wheezing...I had a little guy come down with croup while in my care and the wheezing was so bad he awoke from his nap and was having a hard time breathing.

Cocoon
04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you for your responses. She has made an appointment to see a doctor.

Momof4
04-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Good job Cocoon, it never hurts to suggest to a parent that a child sees the doctor when you are really concerned about them. We spend so much more time with the children than the parents sometimes. Unfortunately they are with us 9 hours a day and go home to sleep after just a few hours with their parents, who have so many other things to accomplish in a short evening. It isn't that they are neglectful most of the time, it's that we know their children so well.

I agree that we have to suffer through the viruses, but when I see something that I think a doctor should look at I suggest it too. Because we are ALL going to get it!

Inspired by Reggio
04-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Ya - I have no issue taking the common cold or having a child who has been to the Dr and being treated for something ... aka I have a child with asthma who when he gets a cold gets 'wheezier' so his puffer has to get upped to a 4th time a day ... but undiagnosed restricted breathing would concern me too - glad she took him to the Dr.

Judy Trickett
04-18-2012, 06:51 AM
If I excluded every kid who had the common cold I would have an empty daycare from November to April every year. Sad, but true. It amazes me how often these dckids get sick.:blink:

Anyway.........yeah, the wheezing would concern me but lots of kids wheeze when they have bronchitis.

If he was otherwise okay and happy then I would accept him into care with the understanding, stated to mom, that if at ANY time I think he is getting worse she is to come get him.

Cadillac
04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Sounds like he needs anti-biotics but otherwise ok for daycare. if we excluded every child with a cold to daycare we'd never be open LOL

Cocoon
04-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Poor kid isn't coming today as his doctor suggested that his mom keep him home for another day. :(

Momof4
04-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Poor kid isn't coming today as his doctor suggested that his mom keep him home for another day. :(

Well surprise, surprise! Good grief! Poof little guy, now don't you feel proud of yourself or he would have kept getting worse until he ended up with asthma. Pat yourself on the back now.