PDA

View Full Version : Which Child?

Cadillac
04-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Hey Everyone,

I've had a few interviews for my spot opening up in July. I'm not sure which child to chose. All would suit well in different ways. Here are my options

Option 1: A three year old girl. Mom and Dad were great and seemed to be on the same page as me. I have two other three year old girls who I think would get along great with her. one is going to school in the afternoons in September so the new girl would suit as company for my other three year old as I'm very sure neither will be napping come September.

Option 2: A one year old. I'm weary about taking on another baby when the majority of the children are getting a bit older. In september I'll have one 18mon old, three two year olds and two three year olds. But these parents were AWESOME!!!! Exactly my style and the little one was completely laid back. Part of my thinks that taking on a baby is worth having an amazing family to work with. These are friend of another client of mine.

option 3: A child turning two in a couple months. He's exactly my childs age and then I'll have four children around the same age. This would make it easier for activities, outing, free time, everything. Dad is pretty laid back but mom is not. She seems anxious with her children and has given me the sense (in many different ways) that her children do not listen to her. I'm not worried that this will be the case for me but mom is a bit of a red flag.

All these families live in my area and I meet them on the street all the time, so I feel like I should chose wisely.

I could give positions to two of these families as all require part-time. But I won't have as much help for busy days come september (I'd have to hire a back-up assistant) Which two options would you chose? Or, if you had to choose just one, who?

jec
04-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Listen to your red flags. Although both #2 and 3 are probably wonderful children and families but, I would go with #1 as your comments were all positive. Parents that are on the same page~ little one who would fit into your already daycare group.
If your worried about taking on another young one...red flag with the other Mom, go #1. For your busy days come September then it won't be as much work as a younger one.
Good luck!

Inspired by Reggio
04-18-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree - # 1 seemed to be all positive for your comments.

Cadillac
04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
I think so too. I'm going to invite them back for a play date to see how/if the little one fits into the group.

I'm going to do the same for option two as I just LOVED the family.

I'm not entirely sure that I want to fill the spot. I just decided to advertised for a couple days to see if there were any hits and all these families jumped when they found out I may have an opening coming up. That felt really good. I think I needed a little ego boost after the Mrs. First Week of Work Meltdown fiasco. Shoot, I could have dumped her and been full again in a week.

sunnydays
04-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I just went through a very similar dilemma with three interviews for one spot! I thought I wanted the older child who fit in really well with my group, but the mother presented some red flags (tried to negotiate the contract etc) and then the family of one of the one year olds was totally wonderful and very enthusiastic and gave me a very good feeling. I also had thought I didn't want to take on another baby, but I decided to go with the parents I liked best as I feel that is the most important thing...plus it is easier to get a little one into your routine, to like your food etc. Fingers crossed I made the right choice; I feel really good about it, so I think it'll be good. Good luck with your choice! I'd go with the parents you feel you would have the best working relationship with.

Play and Learn
04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
First off, listen to your gut.
I'd say #1 for sure. Then #2 if you're looking for a second choice.

Remember, if you are comfortable taking on the little ones, you'll have them in your business for that much longer!

Momof4
04-18-2012, 08:49 PM
I would choose #2 because I always want the youngest children possible so that they are with me for 3 years or more before I have turnover. My second choice would be #3 and letting that Mom know that she has to TRUST ME! My 3rd choice would be #1 because that child is going to JK soon. But that's just me!

Dayhome Mamma
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm on the same page with Mom of 4. I like starting with the youngest because their transitioning is usually easier and you can teach them/have them adapt to your setting a bit easier and more naturally. I have one 3 year old who had crazy separation anxiety so it put me off on taking older ones, though I do see the benefit of them being already independent and able to do so much more in terms of play and activity. So with #1 it would really depend on her personality- if she was outgoing/independent/comfortable on her own, how she is in leaving mom, whether she had been taken care of by someone else previously, etc. 1 or 2 would be my option for sure. But #2 would be my choice in terms of securing my income for longer. And having a family you love working with who appreciates you and thinks the same in return is worth everything to me.

Cadillac
04-19-2012, 06:28 AM
I would choose #2 because I always want the youngest children possible so that they are with me for 3 years or more before I have turnover. My second choice would be #3 and letting that Mom know that she has to TRUST ME! My 3rd choice would be #1 because that child is going to JK soon. But that's just me!

I hadn't thought of it this way before. I think the three year would be going to the school up the street from me. I don't think this will be an issue but it would about 10-15 bucks a day for the time she is in school.

Good point.

Inspired by Reggio
04-19-2012, 06:32 AM
I am one of those people who only wants one 'infant' at a time - so the 3 year old would appeal to me if I already had a babe ... I kinda try to keep my enrollment of 1 infant, 2 toddlers, 2 preschoolers if possible ... cause my back is not so strong anymore with the herniated disc I need some of my crew to be independent!

I think I have lucked out cause I have never had an over 2 who joined with separation anxiety ... they all joined in with ease - some more 'reserved / watchers' at first but not crying or anything thank goodness!

Cadillac
04-19-2012, 06:41 AM
I love babies (I started out my business with my own 4 month old and 2 9 month olds) but when the vast majority of my group is getting older, a baby doesn't always make sense in terms of activities and such. My youngest will be 18 months in September so I'm thinking thats not exactly a baby anymore. I could manage it . .. . . but why manage when I could have a two year old from the get go? . . . who starts earlier at that.

I'll have to wait for the playdates to get a better idea. It's nice to have options but the final decision can be tedious.

playfelt
04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
My first pick would child #2 in the sense that come Sept your youngest in care will be 18 months meaning walking, self feeding, responding to some commands etc. so not really a baby anymore.

The older child could be a playmate but you have enough 2 year olds that will be closing in on 3 that that won't be an issue and the older one may appreciate being "in charge" for a change while other 3 year old is at school especially if the older one liked to direct the play sometimes. It also puts too many at the same level meaning you lose them all at the same time. As for the not napping it is easier to find things for one to do then have to supervise a group and intervene, stop them from talking etc. If she is borderline for sleeping on the couch with a movie or better yet on a mat somewhere else with a DVD player and laying down on her tummy to watch she just might fall asleep some days and if not you know where she is for an hour to do your own thing.

The third child fits in age wise but not necessarily without baggage tagging along in the sense of a parent that needs tending and considering you have options do you really want to take on that extra "child" as well as the 2 year old. It could really upset the flow you have now. Also tossing another child into a group the same age might sound easy but often it is the source of conflict since the other children have grown together and worked out the balance of power. Just where the new child fits in, who they play with the most, who gets left aside as new alliances form could make for some uncomfortable days.......

or you let your group that functions so well just continue on their course and sit back with a baby that you will train into the group.

gcj
04-19-2012, 07:53 AM
hmmmm.. three 3 year old girls....been there. done that. I 'd go for the baby. There's always a 3rd wheel (except the afternoons when one's at school, but most of the afternoon is spent napping, anyways.) I took a break from babies thinking it was easier to take on older ones, but when they start at 1, YOU get to mold them to YOUR daycare. It's an investment that I find always pays off. Then also your ages are a little more scattered for when kids start school and you start over with new ones.
I vote baby! :p

michellesmunchkins
04-19-2012, 08:05 AM
hmmmm.. three 3 year old girls....been there. done that. I 'd go for the baby. There's always a 3rd wheel (except the afternoons when one's at school, but most of the afternoon is spent napping, anyways.) I took a break from babies thinking it was easier to take on older ones, but when they start at 1, YOU get to mold them to YOUR daycare. It's an investment that I find always pays off. Then also your ages are a little more scattered for when kids start school and you start over with new ones.
I vote baby! :p

I agree!!! I love getting them at 12 months. Easy to mold to my program, love the nice long afternoon naps and easier to transition then an older child. I have had a hard time transitioning an older child and by 3 they already have their 'attitude' and personality that is really hard to change if it doesn't fit in with our schedule and program, not to mention that they will be off to school soon and you'll have to go through the whole process of advertising and interviewing again. My votes are always for the babies...and a double vote because the parents are awesome. :)

Crayola kiddies
04-19-2012, 08:06 AM
If it were me I and all three children were equal I would go with the youngest as they would be with you the longest. I'm not a big fan of interviewing or transitioning and I only take one before and after as they take up a space in the summer .... Right now I have one that will go to school this sept and she is staying for b/a school and then next sept (2013) I will have two more going to school so I will need to fill those spots .... If you take too many the same age they all leave at the same time .... Thats my nickel !

Sandbox Sally
04-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I would totally go with the one year old! Your schedule, awesome family, and she'll be around for a while!

noslen
04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I quick question please

how many children full time and allow to have and how many before and after also what is fear fee for before school and before and after thank so muh :(:(:(:)

Sandbox Sally
04-19-2012, 12:01 PM
noslen,

It differs from province to province. I don't know where you are, but here in Ontario, you can have 5 children ages ten and under, not including your own. It doesn't matter if they're before/after school or full time - you can have no more than five at any given time in your home.