PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Search - A Parent's Perspective

nowmrsg
03-06-2011, 10:12 PM
I have been searching for a daycare for a few weeks now for a springtime spot. I have sent out about 20 emails and I have received 5 responses. One has a spot and three who have none. If you do not have a spot, please indicate so and update your ad. There were some that I really wanted to meet but never got back to me. This isn't specifically for this site either. It is just really frustrating.

mamaof4
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
:thumbdown: to those people. I am so sorry! But I totally hear you it can get super super frustrating. Have you posted an add looking for a provider?

nowmrsg
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Not yet. I looked(ing) at Wee Watch and it is expensive. I may post an ad on kijiji in my town.

Cadillac
03-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Try Posting an Ad on Craigslist. When I'm looking to recruit a new child I look for wanted posts on craigslist when I'm posting my Ad. Daycare providers who are serious about taking on new children should answer this ad. I know I jump on them.
It may also be the age of your child: I know I can't take anymore babies and indicate that but people keep on emailing me requesting to place children under the age I have posted. This doesn't excuse rudeness by not answering but may be part of the reason. Older cildren are easier to place than younger children (from my experience at least)

Try calling those who give numbers as well. Its easier to get a hold of people by phone. Not everyone checks their email regularily

Good luck in your search

Lovinmomma
03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Aww that stinks. I always get back to my enquiring families even if I do not have spaces or I can't accomodate their needs. I personally keep my ads all up to date. Good luck in finding a happy place for your child(ren). Kelly

playfelt
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
You don't say what you said in your ad. I know it does not excuse rudeness and it only takes a few seconds for a caregiver to respond saying sorry I have no openings. From talking to other providers a couple things that might be coming into play. If you are looking for more than 3 months away and a caregiver has a space they are really hoping for someone that wants it now rather than having no income for 3 months. Also if you are looking for part time hours or an early drop off or late pick up that can also cause caregivers to hold out a bit longer before replying to you in the sense they don't want to say they don't have a space if it turns out there are no other enquiries with better working hours and they want to contact you afterall. It is also school break in some parts of the country so bear in mind that filling a space down the road isn't the most important thing on the mind of families planning a vacation for the break. Sorry that your search is not going well. If you post your city and when you need care there may be someone on this forum that has an opening.

Tot-Time
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I know this isn't an excuse, but with some organizations or lists caregivers are specifically told that unless we believe we can meet the needs of the daycare parent who is inquiring not to email them back. That the parent doesn't want to be bombarded with emails saying 'Sorry I can't meet your needs'. So, the lack of response might not be that the caregiver doesn't have space, it might be the caregivers can't meet your needs, whether it be hours of operation, age of child, etc.

I can't say 100% that a family gets a response for every inquiry I receive. Truthfully, some slip through the cracks, filtered wrong in my inbox, some seem like junk mail ~ I get at least 2 'fake' inquiries per week, some I mark to respond to later and later doesn't happen, or I am advertising a space for a 1 - 4 yr old and the family is requestion informtion for a 6 yr old etc.

Play and Learn
03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I ALWAYS reply back - it's just common courtesy in my mind.

If a parent emails me asking for questions, even if it's irrelvant to what I'm asking for, I will email them back to say that I'm only available for ages 1-4, not 6 year olds (and let them know of another home childcare that's in the area).

In my business classes that I took last year, one of my profs always said, it's common courtesy to reply back, even if it's just to say thank you. In all, I always email back someone, because in time I might get another email from them in the future, or they have referred someone to me!

nowmrsg
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have gotten about 5 responses today and I posted an ad on a few websites. Some are too far and I have emailed everyone back. Maybe that we all have different expectations/beliefs of what is courtesy, I suppose. I hope that sounds right. I know that some of my emails are going to junk mail. And maybe I am too attached to my iphone/email :P

We are looking for an infant spot in June but looking to integrate in May sometime. I am just worried that we won't find a good "fit".

Play and Learn
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
We are looking for an infant spot in June but looking to integrate in May sometime. I am just worried that we won't find a good "fit".

Just make sure you go to all the interviews you can - ask as many questions as you can - don't base it just on the price (I hate when parents do that to me). I tell my parents that not every childcare is for every child! Good luck!

Tot-Time
03-08-2011, 12:15 PM
nowsrsg :) I am glad that you have received some responses.

I just noticed that you are from the Ottawa area. If you haven't already the CCPRN (http://www.ccprn.com/en/information-for-parents/find-a-caregiver/) has a website that may have daycare providers in your area. Some caregivers in the west end (Barrhaven area) have an email list where a parent can email their request for daycare and it gets sent off to about 100 caregivers, if we have a space and believe we may be able to meet your needs we email you back :) If you are out in the East end perhaps may I suggest playfelt ;)

You are 100% right we all have different notions on what courtesy is :) Sometimes I look at things this way (from the perspective of a caregiver): if the family doesn't respond to my email then that family wasn't meant for me ;)

Best of luck in your daycare search and I believe you still have time to find the right fit :) Sometimes caregivers don't know more than a few weeks to a month in advance when a space will become available. All it takes is one of our families to receive a promotion and move out of province ~ that just happened to me :)

playfelt
03-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I received an email last night and ignored it - at first. Then after thinking about this discussion sent a reply. You might want to go back and reread the email you sent to people. The one I received gave the basic info such as age of child, hours needed and start date. Then it said "If you think this will work for you, please email XXXXX at XXXXXXXX." So I read the email, the age was ok, the start date too soon - my space isn't open till July and the hours were too late so I didn't reply. Then I thought better of it and replied saying sorry I wouldn't have a space opening in time for her needs and wished her well and yes I usually refer them to the CCPRN list since many don't know about it. So while it only took me a few second to reply, at first it seemed like the wording of the email didn't want me to since I couldn't help them out. And had we not been having this discussion I might not have replied right away if I was busy and put it on the things to do list which can take me a few days to get back to.

Emilys4Guppies
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I always respond to emails too, even just to say 'no thanks'. The PP was right that this person might not be the right fit for my childcare but they might refer someone else to me who is the right fit. I always want to leave a good impression for myself and my business even if we don't mesh.

Have you checked the local grocery store or super-mail-box? I know two providers in my area who are exceptional dayhome providers...but they don't use the internet and only post their ads on community bulletin boards, like in the grocery store. Don't assume that because someone posts their ad there that they aren't going to be a good fit because you might be surprised! And definitely go to as many interviews as you can get because sometimes after meeting with someone you'll realize that they are such a good fit that compromise can be made on either side and it will be worthwhile to do so.

All the best,
Emily

Tot-Time
03-08-2011, 06:42 PM
, at first it seemed like the wording of the email didn't want me to since I couldn't help them out.

Exactly, most families will put something to the effect if you have an available space or know of someone who does please contact me. If the family does put something like this in the email and I can't help them, then I feel that responding to the email is against the person's wishes.

I definitely agree in making a positive first impression and in today's world that first impression is usually through email, but I also believe in respecting the inquirers wishes too. Sometimes it is so difficult to know what to do :unsure:

lilac
04-16-2011, 12:09 AM
I hate when people dont respond to my emails, daycare or no daycare inquiry. I don't know, to me its like someone asking you a question and you just walking away.... or someone calling you on the phone any you just hanging up on them. I always reply, thank them for their inquiry and then let them know if I can accomodate them based on the info they give me, or ask for more info before I say if I can accomodate them or not. I just think its a common courtesy.

sunnydays
04-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I always answer every enquiry even if I don't have space or the age/scedule doesn't match my daycare. I also refer people to other providers and resources in my area. I think it is common courtesy and is good business practice because you never know when you will have a space open up or need a referral from another provier....etc. I noticed that you are in Ottawa...which area? Have you been to a CCPRN match meeting?

sunnydays
04-16-2011, 12:37 PM
By the way, in my neighbourhood, the private caregivers charge the same or more than the agencies, so you may not be able to find something cheaper than with an agency depending on where you live.+53+

sunnydays
04-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Sorry about the +53+....my 10 month old hit the keyboard :laugh:

Momof4
04-16-2011, 11:19 PM
I agree, that if you have an ad placed then you shouldl be kind and considerate enough to respond to every email enquiry you recieve. That's my policy for sure, so sorry you felt bad about the people who didn't respond to you.

Judy Trickett
04-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree, that if you have an ad placed then you shouldl be kind and considerate enough to respond to every email enquiry you recieve. That's my policy for sure, so sorry you felt bad about the people who didn't respond to you.

Agreed. If we want to be acknowledged and treated as professionals we need to act accordingly. Ignoring an email is rude and inconsiderate.

Judy Trickett
04-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I have been searching for a daycare for a few weeks now for a springtime spot. I have sent out about 20 emails and I have received 5 responses. One has a spot and three who have none. If you do not have a spot, please indicate so and update your ad. There were some that I really wanted to meet but never got back to me. This isn't specifically for this site either. It is just really frustrating.

Sorry, OP....but personally, if a "provider" does not even have the consideration to take 30 seconds to reply to an inquiry for her BUSINESS than I think you are likely better off knowing that NOW. KWIM?

If she can't even answer an email from a parent then what other areas does she lack professionalism in?? Just be glad you know NOW.