PDA

View Full Version : Multi people picking up

jec
04-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I have a form for parents to fill out for me if someone other than Mom or Dad ( or who is on the registration forms ) who will picking up their little one.

I am bringing on a new family who will have 2 other family members who will be picking him up and everyday might be different.
So I wanted your thoughts on what to put on my form for this little one's file.
This is what I have....thoughts? Suggestions on improvements?

I give permission for the family listed below to pick up ____________________ _________________ from daycare without giving daily notice

____________________ ____________________ _ relationship to child_______________ __________
____________________ ____________________ _ relationship to child ____________________ _____

Parent/Guardian signature___________ ____________________ __Date______________ __________
Parent/Guardian signature___________ ____________________ __Date______________ ___________

Thanks ladies

Inspired by Reggio
04-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Yup - I have similar options - people who are only 'emergency people' aka they can only pick up if parent has told me it is an emergency or I am calling in an emeregency and need them to pick up and than others who are 'at anytime' ... I also have clients give me a 'family password' so that if need be in an emergency they can add someone NEW for a one time only over the phone - they have to give me the password to prove they are the parent - they are not to tell anyone ELSE in the family the password so we know for sure it is only the parent calling to make this change - they tell me who is picking up and their full name and that person when they show up has to show PHOTO ID that matches the name given by the parents in order for me to release them!

jec
04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I have a consent to pick up form but, has to be filled out before the child is picked up and either given to me a drop off and or faxed or emailed to me.
This family has 2 other family that could pick them up any time without notice. So I wanted to put together something that gives consent without having to fax or fill out each time as they may not know when they need someone else to pick the little one up.
The new parents are giving me pictures of the 2 family members that will be picking up the little one as I won't meet them until they arrive one day at the door. On top of that, I just have a bad memory and would forget them if I don't see them constantly. Some timers- sad how it's eatten away at my memory:laugh:

Any suggestions on the above? Simple enough you think?

Inspired by Reggio
04-19-2012, 02:48 PM
Ya - I would create a form that is a 'standing order' and that if the parents want to make changes to it they must sign a new one with the newest date overriding any other form.

Personally I would have your form indicate that the person must show photo ID at least the first time ... honestly I have ID a FATHER before because it had been over a year since I had seen him and he had a beard he did not have at enrollment ;)

jec
04-19-2012, 02:57 PM
That's what happened to me ~ I forgot a Dad and felt like a tool !! :o

Inspired by Reggio
04-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Better safe than sorry - specially when they are not coming regularly ;)

Momof4
04-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Well I'm form-less in my daycare. :woot: Everything is in the contract and it states that I ask to meet whomever will be picking up a child in person before the day. All of my dcfamilies have managed to bring their family member or friend several days early at pickup to introduce them to me so that I will know them on the day they are going to be picking up the child. Nobody has ever complained. They know that I'm being extra careful with their children.

mom-in-alberta
04-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Part of my information package lists ALL possible persons who may pick up your child. And states that if they are not on the list, the child will NOT be released to them.
In actuality, if there was a serious "emergency" situation, and I actually spoke to the parents (not just email or text) and they informed me that someone else was coming, I would be okay. I would ask for id, though. And if the child was old enough, I would ask for confirmation from them as well.

jec
04-20-2012, 08:17 AM
[QUOTE=mom-in-alberta;14409In actuality, if there was a serious "emergency" situation, and I actually spoke to the parents (not just email or text) and they informed me that someone else was coming, I would be okay. I would ask for id, though. And if the child was old enough, I would ask for confirmation from them as well.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I need to speak to the parents regarding pick up other than Mom or Dad. I put on my contract that nobody is able to pick up their little one without written consent - no exceptions. Unless I have them on the list of pick up - which is the form I'm doing up now, I wouldn't release them. Verbal isn't enough for me. Yes- you have a trust with your daycare famlies but, at the end of the day, if a little one is missing- and I misunderstood who is coming to pick them up then I am no longer the friendly daycare provider. I am the provider that let their little one go missing. Only reason I think this way as you never know a family dynamics. I had one little guy with me for 4 days- during this I was told that Grandma was trying to take him and not to let her pick him up...Dad never signed the paper work and came one day and I refused to let him go. Mom called me to say it was OK but again, no form signed and no release.
Mom ended up coming and telling me thank you at pick up as she felt pressure and they are in a custody battle and she was hugging her little man like no tomorrow. Sad thing is that the next day she called to say she couldn't afford daycare and no longer coming. I always wondered what happened to him as he was such a peach!
I just like things in writting and now pictures to add so I don't forget who they are and I can cross reference the pics with ID. I know, I'm a spaz but nobody has complained but liked my extra steps.

Inspired by Reggio
04-20-2012, 01:03 PM
I hear ya Jec ... releasing a child to someone other than the parents is a risk ... this is why having them choose upon enrollment at least TWO emergency contact people their child can be released to if that child needs to be picked up and neither parent can get to them in time is required by the Day Nursery Act ... my enrollment form has place for two emergency and two 'anytime' people as well...if a family needed more I would just add more lines for them to their contract.

However even with that plan in place - I can tell you that in my 20 years in the field there are MANY family emergencies that arise where both parents are unable to make it to pick up - a car accident, parent has a serious workplace accident, parent has a heart attack or other emergency hospitalization for example where one parent goes rushing to be by the side of their spouse in that moment ... and if the two emergency people are not available for some reason the parents might have no choice but to arrange for a neighbor or family friend as a 'one time back up' in that case because it is hard in that crisis to choose to LEAVE your spouse in crisis even to go get your child :(

This is why I do the extra step of the 'family password' for giving verbal directions over the phone if they want their child to be brought to them ASAP so they can be together as a family ... however in reality in a true emergency like that were no one could come I would be willing to just keep the child in care until all the kids were gone and than TAKE the child to the hospital or other parent if need be.

Sometimes until you have been 'faced' with a true family emergency like that you do not even stop to reflect how you would 'handle' it ... either the parents or the provider.

michellesmunchkins
04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
I hear ya Jec ... releasing a child to someone other than the parents is a risk ... this is why having them choose upon enrollment at least TWO emergency contact people their child can be released to if that child needs to be picked up and neither parent can get to them in time is required by the Day Nursery Act ... my enrollment form has place for two emergency and two 'anytime' people as well...if a family needed more I would just add more lines for them to their contract.

However even with that plan in place - I can tell you that in my 20 years in the field there are MANY family emergencies that arise where both parents are unable to make it to pick up - a car accident, parent has a serious workplace accident, parent has a heart attack or other emergency hospitalization for example where one parent goes rushing to be by the side of their spouse in that moment ... and if the two emergency people are not available for some reason the parents might have no choice but to arrange for a neighbor or family friend as a 'one time back up' in that case because it is hard in that crisis to choose to LEAVE your spouse in crisis even to go get your child :(

This is why I do the extra step of the 'family password' for giving verbal directions over the phone if they want their child to be brought to them ASAP so they can be together as a family ... however in reality in a true emergency like that were no one could come I would be willing to just keep the child in care until all the kids were gone and than TAKE the child to the hospital or other parent if need be.

Sometimes until you have been 'faced' with a true family emergency like that you do not even stop to reflect how you would 'handle' it ... either the parents or the provider.

Agreed! Family dynamics change so drastically in today's society. I have a friend who does daycare and this is what happened to her: One day parents love grandparents and its ok for them to pick up, the next week their has been a nasty fight and parents no longer wish for them to see the child, yet they show up at daycare to pick him/her up for a visit. Parents didn't inform provider that grandparents were no longer allowed to pick up and their info was all listed on the forms as ok to pick up. Grandparents had picked up many times before and it was never an issue. Provider released child to grandma only to have parents freak out an hour later as grandma was no longer allowed to see the child...ugh...the provider was totally stuck as it had all been ok the week before...

I really only like to release them to mom/dad. I too would do what Reggio does and take the child to the parents myself to save any issues.

jec
04-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Agreed! Family dynamics change so drastically in today's society. I have a friend who does daycare and this is what happened to her: One day parents love grandparents and its ok for them to pick up, the next week their has been a nasty fight and parents no longer wish for them to see the child, yet they show up at daycare to pick him/her up for a visit. Parents didn't inform provider that grandparents were no longer allowed to pick up and their info was all listed on the forms as ok to pick up. Grandparents had picked up many times before and it was never an issue. Provider released child to grandma only to have parents freak out an hour later as grandma was no longer allowed to see the child...ugh...the provider was totally stuck as it had all been ok the week before...

I really only like to release them to mom/dad. I too would do what Reggio does and take the child to the parents myself to save any issues.

I wouldn't say your friend was stuck - as the parents should have done their part to advise your friend the Grandparents were no longer able to pick up their little one.
I'll add that to the form- it is their responsbility to ensure that they update the pick up list- as you say, family dynamics change so fast.
I like the password idea but, in a situation of life and death not sure I would remember the password! :(

thanks for your input ladies ~ always valued !! Helps me see things differntly

michellesmunchkins
04-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Jec, I added it to my forms the very day she told me and had all my families sign new ones as well, you just never know. I too would probably forget the password in an emergency situation, heck let's be honest I'd probably forget what word I used in a normal situation lol

Inspired by Reggio
04-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Ya Michelle that is the PARENTS fault not the providers ... legally she did nothing wrong if the parents had filled out a consent form allowing the pick up and not bothered to update it that is their issue not the providers!

Same with CUSTODY issues one parent cannot just arbitrarily say 'dad can no longer pick up child' and expect that her word is enough .... if dad shows up the provider is legally required to release the child unless there is a court order signed by a judge saying dad is not to have access to the children or that dad may only access the child FROM MOTHER and than she can call the cops and say he is trying to 'kidnap' the child from care as he is not allowed to access them from the provider .... and sadly THAT too has happened often enough that centres have policy around what to ... what to do if a non-custodial parent shows up on daycare property .... most have a plan that one caregiver takes the child to a locked secure area and calls 911 on a cordless phone while the other caregiver attempts to 'calm' the parent if they actually made it into the building before all the doors could be locked down .... it is sad world we live in sometimes :(

michellesmunchkins
04-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Ya Michelle that is the PARENTS fault not the providers ... legally she did nothing wrong if the parents had filled out a consent form allowing the pick up and not bothered to update it that is their issue not the providers!

Same with CUSTODY issues one parent cannot just arbitrarily say 'dad can no longer pick up child' and expect that her word is enough .... if dad shows up the provider is legally required to release the child unless there is a court order signed by a judge saying dad is not to have access to the children or that dad may only access the child FROM MOTHER and than she can call the cops and say he is trying to 'kidnap' the child from care as he is not allowed to access them from the provider .... and sadly THAT too has happened often enough that centres have policy around what to ... what to do if a non-custodial parent shows up on daycare property .... most have a plan that one caregiver takes the child to a locked secure area and calls 911 on a cordless phone while the other caregiver attempts to 'calm' the parent if they actually made it into the building before all the doors could be locked down .... it is sad world we live in sometimes :(

I've had a set of parents try that crap on me Reggio where Dad all of a sudden didn't want Mom picking up the child after they split...I had to tell him until he gives me court orders I cannot stop Mom from picking up the child and that I would in NO WAY get pulled into their custody battles. That's the job of the court, not me. They figured out their visitation and sent me email schedules of who was picking up and when so it all worked out, but I refuse to be a pawn in the middle of those situations. Your right, it is a very sad and scary world!