PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Permit

sophgag604
04-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Hi,
I am new with this and i'm openiung a dayare at home, and I have a permit with the township to operate at home. But I was asked if I had a daycare permit and told that it would become illegal to do this. Beause some people arent respeting the ratio. Could somebody larify me on thius track or ever heard of it. Because they told me that I should called Prescott-Russel United Counties to be with them.

Momof4
04-19-2012, 04:54 PM
What province do you reside? I've never heard of anyone having a permit with their township or the organization you mentioned.

sophgag604
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
In ontario

sophgag604
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
It a permit for operating a business at home

Momof4
04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Nope, never heard of needing a permit to operate a home business. Somebody is charging you money for something not necessary would be my guess, but I can't help you any further, sorry. As long as you pay your taxes and follow all the laws to only have 5 children in your daycare at any time and run a safe, clean, organized business that's all that is required.

sophgag604
04-19-2012, 05:08 PM
So if I follow these things and they come to chek they couldn't close my daycare.

Sandbox Sally
04-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Hi sophgag604. As long as you have no more than five children under the age of 10, you are not breaking any laws or regulations, and nobody can close you down.

sophgag604
04-19-2012, 05:16 PM
thanks a lot I think that my old boss was just trying to scare me not to do this

jodaycare
04-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Never heard of needing a permit to run a home business. I have been running my home daycare in Ontario for almost 20 years and never had a problem. I even ran it out of a condominium townhouse and never had a problem.

Inspired by Reggio
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
I think we are talking about two different things perhaps.

In Ontario as long as you care for 5 or few children under the age of 10 you do not required a 'license to operate a day nursery' you can operate your business privately as long as your resident is ZONED for home business and as long as you abide by the fire code and other bilaws and so forth.

Not all residential areas are zoned for home business though - some regions have bi-laws restricting the use of home business in residential areas to NONE, some are basic guideline such as no more that 25% of your homes square footage can be a home business and others are that you have to have be approved on an individual basis and approved depending on the type of business - aka you need a permit from the city.

Is this what you are meaning that in your area you need to have a special permit to operate a home business in your area regardless of if it is home childcare or a hair salon or a massage parlor and what not?

Momof4
04-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Reggio, I don't think that's true in my city. I called City Hall and as long as my business only takes up 25% of my rental space I'm legal. There is no other zoning bylaw regarding business/residential. My superintendant was worried that the landlord might get mad but I have been in business 4 years now without hearing anything from them so I don't think they mind because I'm careful about the hydro, water, etc.

However, it's a good point and worth checking with City Hall Bylaws in your city soph.

Mamma_Mia
04-19-2012, 11:39 PM
I know whre I live only recently was the By-law removed to ALLOW home businesses. People still did it but if they were caught or had a nasty neighbour they'd get a hefty fine.

Weird I know!

The biggest argument was the fact of the economy and this was most peoples only option to bring in income as long as they did something LEGAL. So yay for me that it changed.

Inspired by Reggio
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Ya - if varies per region ... governments are stupid bureaucracies at times - some laws are determined by City counsel and other laws are determined by Provincial government and others by Federal and sometimes they contradict each other but one will 'outweigh' the other in jurisdiction - frustrating for business owners for sure!

So from Province to Province and from City to City ... and sometimes even within a CITY one area can be zoned one way and another 5 km away zoned differently ... so you know how some cities are divided North, South, East, West, Central for example or they name them 'neighborhoods' or whatever .... well in some cities the over all rule might be X so for example home business are permitted provided no more than X square footage is used however there can be an amendment that the Y & Z areas of the city might have stricter rules on zoning for home business because it is 'condensed' and already has parking and traffic issues therefore not permitted in that area without a special 'permit' cause the City Council wants to control how much traffic and parking is being drawn in by that business - so something like home childcare might be allowed because it is just am and pm traffic and only 5 clients where a 'home based salon' might get denied a permit because they could have 4 cars an hour coming in and out of the area ... hope that make sense.

Bottom line - I would never rely on what someone else told me because it can be so vastly different - I would call and get the information FIRST HAND from your city and I would document the NAME of the employee and the date you were given that information - because rules and bi-laws change and if you rely on word of mouth from others you could get incorrect information and find yourself in trouble because unfortunately 'ignorance of the law' is not a viable excuse when one gets caught breaking them :(

The reason I would get the name and date of the information is sadly because often the GOVERNMENT gives out wrong information to people as well cause employee was absent the day that memo went out and did not bother to 'read up' on things when they returned to work ... twice in the last year I have had to go head to head with CRA calling me about registering for a HST number and having to 'educate' them that childcare is exempt and both times the worker on the phone had to put me on hold to 'check' with a superior that I was correct the one superior tried to tell me I still had to because I made more than '$35,000 revenue' I had to actually tell her the URL to their own website to find the information that says NO the entire field is exempt regardless of revenue ... so ya sometimes YOU have to become the expert in the rules of your business to avoid getting taken advantage of a government employee who THINKS they are an expert but are not :roll:

Ideally with business if possible get them to mail you out the bi-laws or rules or provide you with a link to where to find them on the city website so you have a written record for your file if ever questioned - yes see right here is states I CAN do this!