PDA

View Full Version : Transition Info

michellesmunchkins
04-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Someone posted a week or so ago a transition list they give to parents. I have one as well that I would like to 'tweek' and loved some of the info on theirs. I can't for the life of me remember who it was that posted it. If anyone has any info they would like to post that would be fantastic. Thanks :)

mom-in-alberta
04-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Do you mean the "How to Prepare Your Child for Childcare"? I can post it again if that's what you're referring to...

michellesmunchkins
04-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Do you mean the "How to Prepare Your Child for Childcare"? I can post it again if that's what you're referring to...

Yes please :)

mom-in-alberta
04-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Certainly... here it is. It doesn't copy and paste properly. I have each paragraph (except the intro) bullet pointed, with the first sentence of each in bold. Makes it look a little more pleasing.

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR CHILDCARE
Beginning childcare can be both a nerve-wracking and exciting experience, for parent and child. Here are a few tips to make this transition easier on you, your child, and your provider.
Begin adjusting your routine early. Up to a few months before you expect to go back to work, start waking your child each morning at the time you anticipate to be waking up. Have breakfast, get dressed and be `ready for the day`, even if you are staying home. This makes for far less hectic mornings when you do begin dropping your child off at the allotted time. You will also find out whether schedules or routines will need to be adjusted (i.e.; child may require a morning nap again, even if they had given it up).
Discuss the daily schedule with your provider. There may be differences in what you do at home, and what will be occurring during child care. Especially if your child will be attending regular, full-time care, it is usually a good idea to adapt your daily schedule to whatever routine your child can expect while there. Plan snacks, meals and naps based on what your provider has told you. Again, the earlier this is started, the easier it is on everyone. If you have any concerns about meal or nap time, discuss them with your provider, as there is usually a reason (i.e.; school pick-ups that must be done, etc). This is why it is important to find a provider whose daily activities `make sense` for your child.
Prepare your child to be more independent. In a multi-child environment, a provider will find it difficult if your child has not had the opportunity to learn to hold a cup or bottle, self feed (finger foods, introduction of cutlery etc) and soothe themselves at nap time. Begin to allow your child to play `on their own` if they don’t usually. Show them what a particular toy does, and then retreat and watch them play independently for a little while. Try putting your child to sleep for their nap in a playpen in a different room, awake and without toys (it is against regulations in most areas for a provider to give them a stuffy, etc). When snuggling, make sure that you are holding your child, and that THEY are holding the bottle or sippy cup.
Ensure that they are used to being around other children. If your child has not had much exposure to playing with or around other kids, they may find it incredibly overwhelming to suddenly be sharing space with 2, 3 or more unfamiliar faces their own age. Take your child to busy, loud places like indoor playgrounds or enrol in a couple of playgroup sessions.
Give your child `room to grow`. For the last 9 to 12+ months, you have watched your child’s development with wonder and amazement. You have cheered on everything from their first smile, to sitting up, to (perhaps) their first steps and words with enthusiasm, as well you should have. Don’t stop now! Sometimes when a parent returns to work they subconsciously try to keep their babies babies, and a form of regression occurs. At this age level, it seems as though children are trying something new every day. Although it may feel like you are going to miss out on that, rest assured, you will not. Mommies and Daddies still take 1st place in the eyes of a child!
Remember that each child reacts differently to a situation. Some little ones settle in within a few days, while others can take many weeks to become comfortable in a new setting. In general, a child attending care full-time will take less time than one attending part time. A child with siblings or a lot of exposure to other children, or a child who has been cared for by people other than parents, usually has an easier time than one whose experience with socialization is limited to immediate family. Give you and your child the time to adjust to this new arrangement and discuss any concerns you may have.

michellesmunchkins
04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Thank you :) Mine is quite similar but I liked the way you worded the part about independence :) It sounds much more professional than stop picking up your child every time they make a sound haha.