PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 5 year old boys

apples and bananas
04-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I have a 5 yr old boy in my care alternating his school schedule right now. I also have a 5 year old son. They are very different in personality, One is very "let's go roll around in the dirt and play with some monster trucks" and the other is very " i just want to sit and cuddle with mom all day" They get along most of the time, but they're 5... so they get along like all 5 year olds do. I dread the 2 days a week that I have them both together because it seems like no matter what activities I come up with they are still bored or disagreeing. I also care for 2 one year olds and a 2 year old, so they're not my main focus most of the day either.

Now I'm looking into summer and realizing I will have them both together 5 days a week! AAAHHHH Any suggestions on how to keep them occupied? Websites? Ideas for quiet time?

Thanks,

ECE53
04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
This may sound crazy but do you have space for one more 4-5 year old boy .... Three would take the focus off each other.... Outings to different parks ..... Everyone loves the splash pads around here. In summer I like to do a lot of water and art "messy type " stuff outside many of my little boys loved that kinda stuff. Playing 'car wash' with all our ride on toys was a real favorite. As far as quiet time goes do you allow computer use ? I would let them each have their own time playing educational games each naptime while the other child does another quiet activity. When I had school agers in the summer they could bring their ds or ps2 devices to play at nap time not my favorite but it kept them quiet while the little ones napped.

Crayola kiddies
04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Well do you have a sand box ? How about kicking around a soccer ball ....Side walk chaulk? Can you make an obstacle course in your backyard? Or create a scavenger hunt .... How about going to your local home depot/lowes/rona and asking them to save you a big box say from a bathroom cabinet display flip it upside down and cut a door in it and they can make a ship/fort/cave? Set up a tent and let them pretend they are camping and pack them lunch to have out there. Generally I tell them to go play or I will find them something to do and guaranteed it won't be too much fun.

mom-in-alberta
04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
OUTSIDE, OUTSIDE, OUTSIDE! LoL... That was my life saver last summer. I had a 5 yr old boy in care that was.... difficult. Nothing was ever good enough, fun enough, etc. He fought all the time with my 4 yr old daughter. Luckily I also have older boys that he worshipped, so he did spend some time driving them crazy.
I also agree that during quiet times, sometimes the computers and electronics are a blessing. I used that time as a reward. If they behaved that morning, they would "earn" it. Any fighting with each other or other issues, it was removed as an available activity.
Just a caution; don't bend over backwards to "entertain" them. They are old enough to play independently for a period of time. I know that you are just searching for ways to keep them out of each other's hair, but I just wanted to say that if you have an assortment of age-appropriate activities available, they are more than capable of choosing what they want to do and doing it!

Momof4
04-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Action is best for 5 year old boys, mom-in-alberta does exactly what I do - go OUTSIDE!