PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Mats at Canadian Tire

Mamma_Mia
04-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I was getting our tires rotated on Friday past and saw this item for $10 each! So cool!!

I'm thinking of going back and getting 2/3 for when I have bigger kids. With my luck when I do need them I wont find any :laugh:

Thought I would share :D

<<see picture in attachment>>

Play and Learn
04-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Just an FYI - I bought them for the kids, and they won't sleep on them. They don't like the dips in the mat. I tried selling them, and no one would buy them, so now I'm stuck with them.

Just my 5 cents!

Mamma_Mia
04-25-2012, 07:20 AM
really?

ok I guess I'll keep that as 'food for thought'......My dck's (thank goodness) will sleep on the floor - we had a 'camping day' and they ended up falling alseep on the area rug! I'm thankfull that above all the eating issues they sleep soundly! I vacuum all the time and they stay KO...I have to go in each day and wake them up, only my own DD wakes up on her own. :laugh:

Inspired by Reggio
04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Ya - I worked at a daycare where while some kids would sleep anywhere and on anything - those style were not 'enjoyed' by many of the kids ... we had even made 'covers' to try to hide the seems and still had a few of those 'princess and the pea' types who could feel the cracks and could not get comfortable as a result.

The centre ended up reinvesting in cots and putting those in the gym as 'safety mats' around climbers and for somersaults.

Mamma_Mia
04-25-2012, 07:40 AM
The centre ended up reinvesting in cots and putting those in the gym as 'safety mats' around climbers and for somersaults.

That's a good idea too...it'll work great for my infant area! Thanks Reggio!

playfelt
04-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I am in the market for new mats as the crib mattresses I use now have cracks and are taped and while the sheets cover that I know it is just a matter of time before it becomes an issue. I have dickered between cots or mats but even without knowing I wondered just how comfortable the fold up ones would be because I could see some child's hip or knee or elbow getting stuck in the crack and it being annoying. I did see some that were a three fold rather than four so at least the hips would be on something solid for at least most kids. Then I realized by the time I folded up five mats they would take up the same if not more space than stacking 5 mats. I just wish the mats were longer as even now using the crib mats I see 3 year olds that lay straight and toes are at the end so on something only 40-48" they for sure would have to curl up although being thin the toes would just rest on the floor I guess. Even the cots are no longer so at least with the mats the feet aren't on the frame. Then again I have considered just buying new crib mattresses or getting foam toppers and covering them myself.

Play and Learn
04-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I buy from the states (but you can't claim it as a business expense as we're in Canada) in Walmart these cots: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186 And it's only $25.

I have currently 2 dcks on it, and they seem to like it. I have no complaints.

I do ask parents to provide me with a pillow and a mattress protector (a crib one works well).

Just a suggestion!

sunnydays
04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I have the mat in the picture (I got it at All About Kids in Ottawa) and I have one 2 1/2 year old sleeping on it. He has never complained at all, but then he is a really good sleeper. It never even occurred to me that the kids would complain about it! However, it's a good heads up in case future kids don't like it.

Crayola kiddies
04-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I agree with kangaroomoma ..It has never occurred to me that a toddler would complain as anything would surly be better then the hard bottom on the pack n play .... I have 4 in pnp's and one one the floor on a sleep mat.

Sunflower
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I bought this type of mat 3 years ago from educatall .com and they have all since fallen apart at the seams.
I paid between $30 and $35 for each one plus taxes and shipping and it was a complete waste of $. I was told by licensing that all the others who bought this style had the same issue and to simply tape the edges back in place with duct tape. It works but doesn't look great.

$10 isn't bad though as long as you know what you are getting into lol

I was recommended these by my agency, apparently they are great and durable
http://www.bbschoolsupplies .com/kinder_en/amenagement-et-rangement-1/matelas-et-tapis/matelas-de-gymnastique-et-de-relaxation.html

playfelt
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the catalogue link. Going to take a look at the whole catalogue. Always nice to find a canadian source for supplies. The handles would allow hanging a couple garage storage type hooks on the wall and hanging them up. How about in a row along a wall to pad it for play then lay them down for sleep.

Inspired by Reggio
04-25-2012, 03:07 PM
If you are looking for Canadian sources for supplies - I get the flyer from this company and they recently had the actually Angel cots on sale with the bundle of the blue ones ... 5 for 149.99 and tax ... but only in the flyer code so you need to sign up for them.

http://www.avronforkids.com/

playfelt
04-25-2012, 11:56 PM
I have ordered from Avron before and the service was great.

bridlewood
04-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I have one of these - I believe exactly the same and bought at Canadian tire- and the seams were split within a few months... with only one 4 year old using it here and there after school.

bridlewood
04-28-2012, 01:04 PM
I was planning on buying a couple stackable cots on children's universe (it's a daycare but they sell a few items too) in ottawa... they were $40 on the website. Don't know if that's an idea you would consider or if anyone has experience with these.

Judy Trickett
04-30-2012, 06:30 AM
I have had this style of mat for years and never had a kid complain about the dips. I made a homemade, snug fitting cover and matching pillow for each set and my mats have stood up to the test of time. I have only had one of those rip at the seam and that was because some FOUR year old did it on purpose.

I can't see the brand of that mat very well from the picture but the brand I have always bought was Kindermat.

Mamma_Mia
04-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Good to know Judy :)

I looked at the picture on file and zoomed it - it's a <Safety 1st>....I think Ill get one for now and if it does rip quickly then it didn't "hurt" the bank :D

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Products/Play-Relax/Foam-Floors-and-Nap-Mats/Details/2918-SF215-4-Panel-Nap-Mat

mom-in-alberta
04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Let me know, MammaMia! I saw these at CT a few months ago... They were selling for closer to 20 bucks then? So I wonder a little bit why they have reduced the cost so much? Perhaps they aren't so great, but it could just be the usual overstock, etc.

playfelt
04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
They would have been in stock for parents that have to provide a sleep mat for kindergaraten kids probably. Any child I know that went to full day kindergarten was asked to provide a fold up mat and a blanket to keep at school. Now that the school year is over they are getting rid of them by bringing them out on sale just as summer camping season is about to start. Watch for them to come out again end of August for the same school reasons.

Mamma_Mia
04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
Let me know, MammaMia! I saw these at CT a few months ago... They were selling for closer to 20 bucks then? So I wonder a little bit why they have reduced the cost so much? Perhaps they aren't so great, but it could just be the usual overstock, etc.

Not a problem, Will do!

5 Little Monkeys
01-15-2014, 09:22 PM
I buy from the states (but you can't claim it as a business expense as we're in Canada) in Walmart these cots: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Regalo-My-Cot-Travel-Bed/4433186 And it's only $25.

I have currently 2 dcks on it, and they seem to like it. I have no complaints.

I do ask parents to provide me with a pillow and a mattress protector (a crib one works well).

Just a suggestion!

I know this is an old thread but I was just doing some searching on cots and this thread popped up in google! I was looking at this cot and going to buy it from the States. I am just curious....why can you not claim it? I have bought plenty of things from the States (in store and online) and have never been told I couldn't claim it so I am curious. Thanks!!

playfelt
01-16-2014, 12:05 PM
I was just reading and wondered the same thing. It is no different than if we order craft supplies from Oriental trading or I get my printed felt from a US company as well as my plain felt I buy by the metre from a US based company, etc. I have always claimed it including the shipping, and the GST charged at the border as well as any additional charges for UPS customs and delivery.

Debderk
11-19-2014, 10:14 PM
Could just lay a blanket under the children for padding

Busy ECE mommy
11-20-2014, 06:47 AM
I use regular daycare cots like the licensed centres do, and they last forever. I bought mine used on kijiji 5 years ago, and they're still perfect.
On another note, I ordered replacement parts for my Runabout stroller from the US, and had no problem claiming the cost/duties etc on my taxes(done with an accountant)If you have legitimate receipts, I don't see why it would be an issue.