PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

apples and bananas
04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
The little one that I gave notice to a month ago is coming into her last week this week. He parents have been vague about when they are bringing her, as they keep cancelling days, but telling me last minute. Or doing an early pick up (which I like) but not telling me until the drop off. At pick up the other day she said something about changing the schedule this week, but I had another pick up follow her in and I felt it would be inappropriate to discuss right there, so I said ok, and off she went. I immediatly sent her an email asking for clarification. No response in 24 hours, so I sent a text just in case she hadn't checked her email.

She responded saying the person she wants to go with isn't able to take the child until late summer and wonders if I can fill in a few days between here and there until then. UGH!

I really don't want to, I guess I could depending on the days and hours, but I really just want to fill that space and move forward. It's uncomfortable enough now since I was the one who stopped care, but now I have to deal with the awkwardness for another few months? And possibly put off filling the space completely.

What would you do?

Bookworm
04-25-2012, 12:19 PM
I would just say that you can not help them out. I'm not sure why you terminated, but if they are already being sketchy about her drop off and pick ups, they will probably do that if you keep her on as an occasional until her new daycare is ready for her. Cutting ties would be best for everyone, especially you.

dodge__driver11
04-25-2012, 12:23 PM
no way no how. They are done. One thing I have learned once you have made a good decision....don't re neg

Inspired by Reggio
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I guess it would depend in WHY you terminated cause so many members have had issues lately I cannot keep em straight ... I have never terminated since being in home business but based on centre experience I would not be willing to do this if I had reached the point of terminating - the clients would have been 'done' right then and there for me ... so unless the termination was positive - aka their hours or needs changed and I was not willing to accommodate 'long term' or something so we were going our seperate ways THAN I might but it would be under the 'I am trying to fill the space with a full time client and if I DO that I will no longer be able to help out - so you need a back up to me as a back up plan?

I know the few times I terminated in centre care by the time we reached 'that point' there was not a staff in the centre who would have been willing to work with that family another day .... either the child was a danger to the other children and they had tried everything they could to 'support' the kid but it did not get better and they were just too stressed worrying about that or the parent was either a risk to staff - verbally abusive or was not paying FEES and well sorry not helping you 'out' in that circumstance either.

Lou
04-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Stick to your termination notice, stay firm!

apples and bananas
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM
I gave notice because I couldn't accomodate the hours she needed (late nights) That's what the letter said. However, the other issues were... behavioural without any support from mom. She had a "i can't believe my daughter would do that" attitude. She's also PT, very few days a week. I'm replacing with a FT or someone with more consistent hours. All around she just became a poor fit.

She was origionally asking me for 9 days over 2 months, but now she's changed it to only 4 days. I want to leave on a good note, but I'm afraid that she won't be happy with the next caregiver and then it will be another... "can you just help me out for a few more days"

Realistically, I don't really have a good reason to say no to her, I was just really looking forward to closing this chapter and moving forward. Now it feels like its drawing out.

Cocoon
04-25-2012, 01:17 PM
I would tell her that I would do it "until" I find a replacement. As soon as I find a replacement I have to take the new family on so no notice will be giving unless the new family doesn't want to start immediately. If she is happy with that then sure why not. :)

Inspired by Reggio
04-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I would tell her that I would do it "until" I find a replacement. As soon as I find a replacement I have to take the new family on so no notice will be giving unless the new family doesn't want to start immediately. If she is happy with that then sure why not. :)

Yup - this would be me than as well - cause seriously what business is going to keep a full time vacancy open for May / June / July for someone who only wants to pay for 4 days during that period specially if there is a demand for the space .... none and why should we be expected too ... however if I had the space and the kid was not 'unbearable' and I needed the $$ than sure!

mom-in-alberta
04-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Nah, I probably wouldn't. If it's awkward now, it isn't gonna get better!
I would say "oh, I am SO sorry, but I can't. I have already filled that space with a person needing full time hours."

apples and bananas
04-26-2012, 05:45 AM
I did just that last night. I sent an email explaining that I'd really like to help them out, but I'm filled on the days she's asked for. She emailed back, today is ________ last day, have her belongings ready at pick up. LOL I don't think she's very happy with me. I gave her 30 days notice, more then most people would. oh well... move on to the next one.

Inspired by Reggio
04-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Yup - gotta love clients who want special but do not value you for offering that special and when they get a 'sorry this special is proving not to be ideal' they get all pissy about it!

My SIL is still pissed at me and not talking to me because I stopped providing 'free' daycare for my nephew cause they plead poverty while my brother was seeking work and needed 'care' so he could attend interviews and so forth - only to find out nine months into doing this that they had just renovated their kitchen with the money they saved not having to pay for child care and now they were both not working and still expecting FREE daycare .... um no :rolleyes:

Momof4
04-26-2012, 08:55 AM
You have to do what is best for you. You could let the family know you MAY be able to help them out occasionally until you fill the space with a full-time client. Then you will not be making a commitment but might be able to make a little extra money. It's up to you if you would rather cut ties with these people completely.

Mamma_Mia
04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Yup - gotta love clients who want special but do not value you for offering that special and when they get a 'sorry this special is proving not to be ideal' they get all pissy about it!

My SIL is still pissed at me and not talking to me because I stopped providing 'free' daycare for my nephew cause they plead poverty while my brother was seeking work and needed 'care' so he could attend interviews and so forth - only to find out nine months into doing this that they had just renovated their kitchen with the money they saved not having to pay for child care and now they were both not working and still expecting FREE daycare .... um no :rolleyes:

Wow they have 'balls"!! My SIL is moving soon not sure where, if close enough I'd provide care for my nephew, discounted rate for sure....but not FREE! I have to live & eat too! The nerve...

apples and bananas
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I always get cautious when friends or family with young children, or expecting find interest in my daycare. I smile and explain that I'm all full... sorry.. :)

Only 2 hours to go until the incredibly uncomfortable last encounter with mom. Wish me luck! lol

Crayola kiddies
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
In two hours the sun in your world will be shining brightly ; )