PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim supplies bought from yard sales, kijiji, etc?

Biomom
04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Hi,
I'm wondering if CRA has any kind of problem with people claiming items such as toys bought used, since the receipts won't be "official" like they would be in a store.
Thanks!

Inspired by Reggio
04-26-2012, 07:23 AM
My accountant allows this - I have even made up my own receipt when someone has refused on Kijiji - I print out the ad which shows the user name and any contact info generally and cite the address at which it was purchased for my 'proof' .... seriously it is a $5 or $30 used purchase or whatever not like we are writing off $10,000 piece of equipment like a BIG business would be ;)

Flipside to remember is that when YOU sell off something you no longer use in daycare if you claimed it as a business expense at one time you have to claim it as income when you sell it off!

michellesmunchkins
04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
I do the same as Reggio, print off and keep the ad since most people won't provide you with a receipt.

playfelt
04-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Sometimes if you take a receipt book with you to a garage sale the person will sign it. If not just record the address, the product, the price paid and the date.

Play and Learn
04-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Yup, same as what Playfelt said. My accountant said to make up an excel sheet and enter the date, address, item bought used, and price. This will be fine for doing taxes, as that's all they really need.

Crayola kiddies
04-26-2012, 07:53 AM
My accountant said to write my own receipt for items I bought second hand .... So I would be selling the item to the daycare.

Momof4
04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
I always write down the name or address of the person I'm buying from and the amount and I've never had a problem. I always forget to take a receipt book or print out the ad, duh!

playfelt
04-26-2012, 01:26 PM
This is the same process to use for transferring things you already have from your own kids to the daycare - ie as if you had bought them at a garage sale. You write yourself a receipt for the items. This in theory also allows you to track what you have transferred each year.

Biomom
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Haha, that CRA- they'll get you every time!
Thanks for the advice- I will definitely go buy my own receipt book for those purchases.