PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for parents new to day care??

MunchkinMinder
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
I have a first time mom whose daughter will be starting with me in June and she has asked me for for a list of suggestions that may help both herself and her daughter in the transition into care. I have been doing this for a while now but have for some reason never thought to have a check list of sorts to give to parents new to group care to help them and their child settle in.

I have the standard stuff jotted down like our routine, teaching the child to feed herself a bottle/sippy cup, self soothing...I'm just wondering if you ladies might have some more suggestions that I can add :)

Crayola kiddies
04-30-2012, 06:05 AM
There is another thread on this in "caring for children " and it's entitled "suggestions for parents to help their child transition into group care". If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there us a section of related links and it's there. You can click on it.

Judy Trickett
04-30-2012, 06:42 AM
I like to offer parents "daycare ready" tips. Things like:

-make sure your child is on MY nap routine (or as close as possible) before starting
-make sure your child can self-sooth to go to sleep. No more rocking, bottling etc to go down
-make sure your child can use a sippy cup
-make sure your child is eating table foods ON THEIR OWN. fingers are fine but no exclusive spoon feeding a 12 mth old

Those are my biggies that really matter to me.

Dreamalittledream
04-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Oh what a great idea! I do have a checklist for parents in terms of a supplies needed standpoint...but a routine readiness; love it!!