PDA

View Full Version : Daycare Name

Sandbox Sally
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Well, it's official. We are moving. Our house is closing on June 15th, and I really want to start advertising before we even get there. I have a daycare name with a website and an email address that matches the name. The name is the name of my street. I was thinking about new names etc, and our new street name doesn't sound nice at all. I am considering just leaving my daycare name the same. The word "street" or "crescent" isn't in the name, it's just "Blah Home Child Care". If clients ask, I'll just tell them that I kept it the same to avoid confusion.

What do you guys think? Make sense, or should I try to come up with something else?

apples and bananas
04-30-2012, 12:54 PM
I would stay the same if I were you. I've never had any client ask why I named my daycare what I named it.

Part of our job is marketing ourselves... staying consistent with the name is part of that.

Congratulations on the new house.

Inspired by Reggio
04-30-2012, 01:47 PM
How long do you have left on the registration of that name?

I agree that changing my name and website URL and emails is too much of a PITA ... not to mention that my business logo is branded on everything paper wise so would have to change all that ... I would keep the same name too!

Note to newbies who might be reading this though - marketing 101 ... if you plan to be in business for many years chances are you will relocate at least once during that time frame - so it is best to choose a business name that is not reflection of your location but unique to YOU so that it can easily relocate with you and your hard work at creating positive word of mouth advertizing be able to move with you rather than having to 'start over'.

mom-in-alberta
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Hehe... my daycare "name" is also directly related to where we are located... Where were you 2 and a half years ago, Reggio?? LoL
I would probably keep it the same, unless it just didn't make sense. But for continuity etc.

playfelt
04-30-2012, 04:03 PM
I fyou are moving far enough away that a whole new set of parents will be looking at your daycare then would come to visit now then keeping the same name won't really make a difference to them. In that case changing it would be worthwhile. Not sure on the registration but do you not have to give your address when you do it as to your place of business so if that has to change and there is any charge for it then changing the name and registering the new one would be a good way to go too.

As far as your website goes it will still come up no matter what you put on the page so for now you could leave it as as and then fill the first page with a blurb about your new house and the new things you will be offering and when that sort of thing. Then leave the website as is for the first little bit till you get established in the new house and then decide then when it is time to change it up.

Another good idea would be to pick a new name for the new place and make a new website for the new location. On your old website, put the blurb about moving and provide a direct forwarding link to the new website. That way your old site will still come up and you won't lose your place in the search rankings while you build up the rankings for your new site. That is what we did with my felt website. I had a home made version through Angelfire and then later a friends made my current site and on the old site it is still there but when you go to it it says this site has moved and you will automatically be directed or click here.

Inspired by Reggio
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I fyou are moving far enough away that a whole new set of parents will be looking at your daycare then would come to visit now then keeping the same name won't really make a difference to them. In that case changing it would be worthwhile. Not sure on the registration but do you not have to give your address when you do it as to your place of business so if that has to change and there is any charge for it then changing the name and registering the new one would be a good way to go too. ....

Oh good point - yes if you move you would have to update your information anyway - maybe they would let you change your name - I have not had to look into 'changing' anything on mine yet - I have to renew it next year though!

mom-in-alberta
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, that seems spammy.... :rolleyes:
In any case; I have changed my mind. I was thinking about it, and I think it would perhaps be a little odd. Especially if people may be aware that the name is a community located elsewhere. I was thinking, I would change my name if I was moving away from "Luxstone" because it would be weird if we lived in "Sagewood".
Sooooo; what did you decide? LoL

Momof4
05-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I don't have my name in my daycare's name, but it reflects my personality and my space a little bit. It doesn't always have to be Mary's Home Daycare you know? Be creative!

Sandbox Sally
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I chose a new name. It's an exerpt from a quote that I've always liked, and I think it works rather well. :) Thanks for all the input, women. Much appreciated as always.